Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
guys, I am a pharmacist and also have BPH for almost 20 years. (i am 57)...
not a complete list of drugs or side effects.

1. The 2 Main types of Medicines.
A. Alpha Blockers
Uraxotrol- alfuzosin- very potent. likely most effective.
Flomax- tamsulsin- most popular. works well.
* Both work to relax the muscles in the bladder neck/prostate.
* Both work quickly.
* Both can cause some impotence, usually not the ability to have an erection, but the ability to orgasm, or delay orgasm.
* Both can cause ejaculatory issues ranging from retrograde to anejaculation.
Retrograde ejaculation is when the semen goes backward into the bladder, which is unusual, but usually doesn't effect the feeling of the orgasm.
Anejaculation is when no semen leaves the prostate at all to enter the urethra. This very much impacts pleasure. It can either take all the pleasure away, have a painful orgasm, or no orgasm at all.
Actually, anejaculation might be more common than retrograde.
* The side effects are many, though, most find them manageable.
Including- low blood pressure, dizziness, tiredness, fainting, along with the sexual side effects.

B. Testosterone Inhibitors
Proscar- finasteride. This works in the body to inhibit the production of testosterone to shrink the prostate which is testosterone dependant.
It takes longer to start working because it takes time to shrink the prostate enough to make a difference. as the prostate shrinks, your psa may actually go down.
Side effects....
* Decrease in sex drive. less testosterone less desire. high incidence of this.
* Less semen produced.
* impotence due to decreased drive.
* you might grow boobs. those boobs might have a discharge.
* hair growth...... with a full head of hair you might be more attractive, but with no sex drive it might not matter anymore.

2. Other Treatments- (procedure)
TURP- avoid it at all costs unless there is no other choice. Do not just take your doctor's word for it. get a 2nd opinion.
* Very high incidence of impotence.
* loss of bladder control is a possibility.
* Retrograde ejaculation is very likely
* Results usually don't lost all that long, making repeat procedures likely.

PVP Laser- less side effects than TURP.
* Impotence less likely than TURP, actually very unlikely.
* Retrograde ejaculation is almost a sure thing though.
* It pretty much destroys the prostate leaving only the shell. \

Prostate Artery Embolism
* non-invasive
* no sexual side effects at all.
* effectively reduces the volume of the prostate
* Doesn't always fix the problem if there is a large median lobe growth.

Urolift
* Not a true surgery. It is a device inserted that pulls the interior walls of the prostate outward allowing the urethra to open up.
* No sexual side effects at all.
* Might actually increase ejaculatory function.
* Results almost immediately.

Other procedures.
TUNA- not used much anymore due to ineffectiveness and some problems. Uses a needle that heats up very hot to kill prostate tissue.
TUMT-uses microwave heat to kill prostate tissue. I know little about this, except I believe it's not as effective.
TUIP- makes little slices in the interior prostate that causes it to spring outward rather than squeezing inward. I don't know anyone having had this. Not always effective, but without likelihood of bad side effects. Not helpful for very large prostates,
Rezum- uses steam to heat up and kill tissue.

Any of these that use heat kinda scares me. I've heard of inexperienced docs really destroying some men's this way.

I hope this helps, guys. Whatever you do, do not just take your doctor's word for it. always study the procedure on the internet to find out what's truly going on. Many doctors are not very forthcoming about permanent side effects with the treatments they are proposing. the internet is your friend here. And, 2nd opinions also.

Thank you, Sir.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My pleasure. Hate to see men greatly and negatively affect their sec life needlessly.

V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thank you Savage Hunter! I knew all the potential side effects of Flomax but nothing about the other things you listed. I need to copy this and save it for future reference. A few of the guys here made comments that insinuated I was stupid for not trying Flomax but I don't have a bad problem yet. I just pee slower. I only had to pee twice night before last and only once last night. I just started eating supper earlier and not drinking anything after 7:00 pm. The good thing about going to a Urologist is that they will have you pee in a cup and then scan your bladder to make sure it is empty (mine was).

Last edited by victoro; 02/14/20.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m gonna try the pumpkin seed oil, just for the hell of it

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tamsulosin made me dizzy. Switched to Rapaflo and that problem went away.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Something else to consider, almost every side effect of the medications are reversible. If you discontinue the meds, you go back to normal in time.

The procedures, though, are most often not reversible. Too many urologists push what they are trained to do and will badger you into what they can do, and if you choose another route will cut you off as a patient. If so, you don't need this md. He is not your friend.

I have a long story covering 15-20 years with this issue. I've counseled many people in the pharmacy and have probably studied more about this issue than most pharmacists because of my personal journey. I was fortunate. If I didn't know how to research this stuff, I would have ignorantly let a doctor butcher me. I make it my goal to inform my patients about these prostate issues and also any sexual function problems they might be too embarrassed to talk to anyone including their doctor about.

If any of you have questions you don't want to discuss in this thread, PM me. I am a pharmacist and a preacher and it will be confidential.

blessings,
Jerry

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
pm sent

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m gonna try the pumpkin seed oil, just for the hell of it

same here.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by denton
I react badly to Flomax. My son, a physician, recommended pumpkin seed oil capsules instead. Two before bed time, and I'm good to go.

I want to thank you for posting this up.
I did a bit of research on the pumpkin seed oil it all sounded positive so I ordered some up along with some saw palmetto oil and within 48 hours I was having very positive results.
the past several nights have been the best sleep I've had in years as well as not having to piss near as much in the day time.
I very highly recommend it to anybody having to get up and piss multiple times a night.
I have taken Flomax in the past and chose to get up and piss at night over what the Flomax did for me.

Only thing I would add is to get the cold pressed pumpkin seed oil.

No way I can thank you enough for your post.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.