Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wonder about outfits like RMEF. I remember them buying elk habitat and then the only ones allowed in were the directors. Another self serving bumch claiming to represent us?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I'm not sexist, and I don't mind seeing women hunters, because I have 2 granddaughters that deer hunt. But, let's be brutally honest about it............have you ever seen a big old fat ugly chick hunting on one of these shows lately. Of course not, they're all young and pretty. Poor old Brenda Valentine, back in the day, wouldn't even make to top 50 list today.......lol.

Good ol' Brenda. Her autographed photo graces our wall. We met her at a local sportsmens jamboree a few years ago. My wife and I were working the DU booth. As down-to-earth and real as real can get. Nothing phony about her. Can't say the same about the 'painted ladies' on the current crop of hunting shows.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kennyd
I wonder about outfits like RMEF. I remember them buying elk habitat and then the only ones allowed in were the directors. Another self serving bumch claiming to represent us?

For several years I was a member of the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF). Their "banquets" were fundraisers that raised thousands of dollars. I asked if the money that was raised locally was spent locally, and always got the run around. Finally, the answer I got was that it was spent where it was needed.........and that in the local area, we were in "good shape."

I quit paying dues, and quit attending their functions. I decided I was better off to spend my money on my own land to improve habitat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I'm not sexist, and I don't mind seeing women hunters, because I have 2 granddaughters that deer hunt. But, let's be brutally honest about it............have you ever seen a big old fat ugly chick hunting on one of these shows lately. Of course not, they're all young and pretty. Poor old Brenda Valentine, back in the day, wouldn't even make to top 50 list today.......lol.

Good ol' Brenda. Her autographed photo graces our wall. We met her at a local sportsmens jamboree a few years ago. My wife and I were working the DU booth. As down-to-earth and real as real can get. Nothing phony about her. Can't say the same about the 'painted ladies' on the current crop of hunting shows.

I always liked her shows. I'm sure a lot of it was staged for the camera, but at least she seemed real, not fake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did enjoy the old American Sportsman shows of the 60s and 70s. Also was a show in Texas called Lone Star Sportsman. sponsored by the beer. Jim something was the host

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by killerv
We just added the outdoor channel option to our direct tv, my son loves hunting shows. I was pretty ticked off when the first thing on was wicked tuna stuff, I can watch that elsewhere.

Watched a guy letting deer expire overnight, I don't understand that, maybe that is me being from Ga where we have warm winters, but other states do to, and if you are in shortsleeves hunting on camera, make a good shot with a bow which clearly the camera suggests also with all the slomo...and "you decide to wait overnight before trailing"...and the then next morning, he only went 30 yards into the brush. That meat is ruined... it was all about the horns for them.

Everytime I try to watch the OC it seems stupid Wicked Tuna is on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TV hunting shows.....

Hmmm whodathunkit

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I must admit,I watch them.But only because of the alternatives offered when I sit down in front of the tube.You just have to take it for what it is,visual entertainment while letting the mind relax...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I presume you all are aware that most if not all of the shows on Outdoor Channel (and similar) pay Outdoor Channel to run their shows. They have to sell product (otherwise known as crap) to be able to pay to get their shows on TV. It wasn't always that way, but it's nothing new. That said, there are a few semi-decent shows.

Regarding American Sportsman, Phil Harris (a Hollywood actor but more famous for the Jack Benny radio show before TV) actually was an enthusiastic bird hunter, but mainly in the Southern style of quail hunting. He often hunted with Bing Crosby and another celebrity whose identity I forget.

Regarding the shooting of pheasants thrown off a hill, that is a variation of a European "tower shoot" more than a driven hunt. It's a European tradition that is used in the US, principally as a social event or corporate outing. It is a shoot, not a hunt and a few levels easier than a good sporting clays course.

I had another item but it eludes me at the moment. Carry on, gentlemen.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I presume you all are aware that most if not all of the shows on Outdoor Channel (and similar) pay Outdoor Channel to run their shows. They have to sell product (otherwise known as crap) to be able to pay to get their shows on TV. It wasn't always that way, but it's nothing new. That said, there are a few semi-decent shows.

Regarding American Sportsman, Phil Harris (a Hollywood actor but more famous for the Jack Benny radio show before TV) actually was an enthusiastic bird hunter, but mainly in the Southern style of quail hunting. He often hunted with Bing Crosby and another celebrity whose identity I forget.

Regarding the shooting of pheasants thrown off a hill, that is a variation of a European "tower shoot" more than a driven hunt. It's a European tradition that is used in the US, principally as a social event or corporate outing. It is a shoot, not a hunt and a few levels easier than a good sporting clays course.

I had another item but it eludes me at the moment. Carry on, gentlemen.

You are correct. The shows themselves have to PAY The Outdoor Channel (and Sportsman’s Channel) to broadcast their shows. Going rate is about 50k per show.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (19rabbit52, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,748 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.