Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Started life as a Commercial Husqvarna 98 Mauser in 30-06. Rebarrelled in around 1993 by the late John Pell to 35 Whelen AI. I found a second hand fiberglass stock in an Alamogordo, NM gun shop back then and fit it to the rifle. It wears a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 in Leupold QR rings. I fit one of those old Redfield flip up peep sights to the rear base and the vintage Redfield band front sight is sighted with the backup peep to be dead on at 200 yards. I did a 3-panel checkering job on the bolt handle, fit the side-swing safety, and jeweled the bolt, by myself. The attached target is the first group I ever fired with it, and with a 2.5X scope to boot. This is a true sub MOA rifle, the most consistently accurate one I own. The elk is my bull from last September here in AZ.
I recently retired and have more time now to put into rifle projects and hope to have some more to post in the next couple years.

Cheers,
Rex

EDIT - weighs 7.6 pounds unloaded.

Attached Images
IMG_9917c2.JPG (73.33 KB, 222 downloads)
IMG_9958c2.JPG (58.41 KB, 220 downloads)
IMG_9197c.JPG (14.41 KB, 194 downloads)
Last edited by TRexF16; 02/17/20.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by TRexF16
... I fit one of those old Redfield flip up peep sights to the rear base and the vintage Redfield band front sight is sighted with the backup peep to be dead on at 200 yards. ...

Can you post a picture or two of the rear peep on the Leupold QR mount? I have been tinkering to do the same with an EGW rear peep. Please and Thank you !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Started life as a Commercial Husqvarna 98 Mauser in 30-06. Rebarrelled in around 1993 by the late John Pell to 35 Whelen AI. I found a second hand fiberglass stock in an Alamogordo, NM gun shop back then and fit it to the rifle. It wears a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 in Leupold QR rings. I fit one of those old Redfield flip up peep sights to the rear base and the vintage Redfield band front sight is sighted with the backup peep to be dead on at 200 yards. I did a 3-panel checkering job on the bolt handle, fit the side-swing safety, and jeweled the bolt, by myself. The attached target is the first group I ever fired with it, and with a 2.5X scope to boot. This is a true sub MOA rifle, the most consistently accurate one I own. The elk is my bull from last September here in AZ.
I recently retired and have more time now to put into rifle projects and hope to have some more to post in the next couple years.

Cheers,
Rex

Great rifle right there.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Cheers,
Rex

Great shooting, especially with a 2.5X scope.

DF

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Model 70 Classic Actions with Bartlein barrels, smithed by Redneck - .308 and 6.5X55 Swede. Hogs with the swede and 125NP was a very accidental six kills with four shots. Never would have happened if I tried.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ned; 02/17/20. Reason: I have a short attention span

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... I fit one of those old Redfield flip up peep sights to the rear base and the vintage Redfield band front sight is sighted with the backup peep to be dead on at 200 yards. ...

Can you post a picture or two of the rear peep on the Leupold QR mount? I have been tinkering to do the same with an EGW rear peep. Please and Thank you !

Here's one for sale on eBay:
Redfield folding peep on eBay
And here is a base with one already mounted as they used to come from the factory:
Redfield base with folding peep
Of course, the Leupold QR bases don't come with these so I had to get the drill and taps needed to put the two 2-56 screws in the back of the Mauser's rear base to mount it.
I scored a handful of these old flip up peeps long ago so I got the screws, drills, and taps needed to install them and use them on any rifles that they will fit on. Need to make sure they will clear the bolt (if applicable) when planning the install.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Here is the one on my Whelen. I'm should have taken it from the other side so you can see the release levers on the QR bases but these are stock items and you can see them online.

Cheers,
Rex

Attached Images
IMG_1208c.JPG (37.09 KB, 120 downloads)
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Here is the one on my Whelen. I'm should have taken it from the other side so you can see the release levers on the QR bases but these are stock items and you can see them online.

Cheers,
Rex

Appreciate the picture. Your set up is more like a Brockman peep. Mounted to the rear of the base. I've been tinkering with a Leupold extended QR base with the ring removed / filed flat. Intent is to file 60* undercut on the fore and aft faces so that an NECG rear peep with EGW base will slide onto the QR base and lock/adjust in same manner. Lot of words. But basically make a removable rear peep that would mount to the Leupold QR base.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Cheers,
Rex

Appreciate the picture. Your set up is more like a Brockman peep. Mounted to the rear of the base. I've been tinkering with a Leupold extended QR base with the ring removed / filed flat. Intent is to file 60* undercut on the fore and aft faces so that an NECG rear peep with EGW base will slide onto the QR base and lock/adjust in same manner. Lot of words. But basically make a removable rear peep that would mount to the Leupold QR base.

I've been desirous of such a peep for decades. Please shoot me a PM when able to share more and possible collaborate. I always figured it would be easy to just take a rod the diameter of the QR studs and file the appropriate notch for the base to engage, then just build the peep onto that - so no need to sacrifice a QR ring in the process.
Regards,
Rex

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Easy disqualification. Not a 270

Dang it, such a Busch league move on my part.

I also forgot the weight. She comes in at a scant 9lb-5oz.
Also, the tape ain't blue... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 47 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.