Print Thread
Hop To
C
CRF75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Last week I purchased a Savage 99EG that was made in 1941. The only modifications are a different rear sight and the gun has be blued to a high gloss finish.

How much does the refinishing of the barrel and receiver have on the value of the rifle?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you a collector or a shooter?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

C
CRF75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I bought this gun because my Grandfather had one when I was kid. I used it to harvest my first deer when I was about 12 or 13. When he passed, we would out that he had gifted it to someone else and I was very disappointed. He knew that I had a lot of nice rifles and left it to someone that didn't. I gave up hunting about 35 years ago as I did so much of it that I got tired of it. Only this year did I go again and took a really nice Texas Whitetail.

I like to go to the range and am not sure if I would hunt with this rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Of course you should hunt with the rifle. You won't hurt it, that's what it was made to do. Since it's been re-blued you don't have to worry about collectors value, just get out and enjoy it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pretty subjective situation. It all depends...

Serious collectors wouldn't even touch it. On average I would put $100-150 as an estimated range. YMMV.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wonderful in the garden.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30-40%

But no harm IMO of re bluing an old gray rat. Just don't confuse it's $ value with one that has original bluing.

Sentimental value however is hard to put a price on..

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use the thing like you borrowed it from your brother-in-law, and cherish each scratch, ding, and worn spot. That is what makes them worth having.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CRF75,

I will ask you to reconsider your decision to hunt with that rifle. You have a pre war rifle. To me, that means that rifle was made at a time that I believe was Savage’s best years. Quality was never higher.

An EG is the most common model, and 300 Savage is the most common chambering for it. There was a reason for that. This configuration worked like a champ, word got out, and a lot of people bought them.

Go out and make some memories with it. I have taken a lot of big game with the EG. Speaking as a hunter, they work flawlessly. The 300 Savage is perfect for deer. Recoil is very similar to 7x57.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have misunderstood the OP, but it appears to me he bought the rifle because it reminded him of his Grandfather and his youth.

Everybody has reasons for buying guns and owning guns and not everybody's reason is to hunt with it or to kill something with it.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to hunt with the rifle, not because he is afraid of ruining it's value, but he just is at the point in his life that he doesn't want to kill anything? Which is A OK with me.

Sometimes we as hunters, we can take a narrow view of what guns are for...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CRF75
I bought this gun because my Grandfather had one when I was kid. I used it to harvest my first deer when I was about 12 or 13. When he passed, we would out that he had gifted it to someone else and I was very disappointed. He knew that I had a lot of nice rifles and left it to someone that didn't. I gave up hunting about 35 years ago as I did so much of it that I got tired of it. Only this year did I go again and took a really nice Texas Whitetail.

Nice you've gotten back into hunting again. I took a hiatus for about 8 years and jumped back in a few years ago.

I completely agree with RAS, hunt it. The .300S is a very versatile cartridge and a 99 chambered in it is plenty accurate enough to take game with. Also, they're a pleasure to shoot. In my opinion It having been reblued is a plus for a hunting gun, because the collector value ship has sailed and you can cover it with some honest wear. If it gets too bad, you can always reblue it if you like. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with keeping it as a gun.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Are you a collector or a shooter?

Funny how things like a reblue drive the price down when you are a collector but when you become a shooter it can drive the price right back up. They are just different ways to think about the same thing. In this case the thing is your 99EG. Maybe you would get a better working answer if you stated how much you paid for the rifle.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reblued 99's are for hunting and shooting. Value is whatever you consider that rifle to be worth as a hunting rifle. It's a case where other people's opinions shouldn't mean much.

If you're worrying about resale values.. probably shouldn't pick a reblued rifle. grin

Value definitely takes a hit over a 95% rifle, but may be on par with a 70% or 80% rifle. Depends on model and cartridge partially.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You already bought it so value is of little importance. An old collector will walk right by it. A guy new to collecting might jump on it. But, you bought it to bring back those child hood memories For that purpose alone, it's worth what you paid for it. Keep it long enough that you find some one you would like to gift it to, and let them worry about value.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Use it a quit worrying. Don't worry ....be happy!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Guns are what they are.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by damnesia
Originally Posted by CRF75

Nice you've gotten back into hunting again. I took a hiatus for about 8 years and jumped back in a few years ago.

I completely agree with RAS, hunt it. The .300S is a very versatile cartridge and a 99 chambered in it is plenty accurate enough to take game with. Also, they're a pleasure to shoot. In my opinion It having been reblued is a plus for a hunting gun, because the collector value ship has sailed and you can cover it with some honest wear. If it gets too bad, you can always reblue it if you like. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with keeping it as a gun.

+1

You can hunt it without abusing it. Slight honest wear won't hurt the value, as it's already a re-blue and as such not a collector. That makes it a shooter, IMO.

I'd shoot it.

DF

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.