Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Found this in The Billings Gazette a few years ago! About 50 years ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll bet the pay was far higher than our troops were getting for the same work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wonder if this was like the contractors in Kosovo and the ones in Afganistan these days, or was this for the CIA fun in Cambodia.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Thanks for posting that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MALE HELP WANTED!

Be fun to run that today, just to watch it fly!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep, I answered an ad like that, about that same era. I wouldn't mention the name of the company(ies) but all I can say that the pay was great and at that time in my life it was great experience. Good money, fast cars & motorcycles and more money that a young man could spend - all I had to do was live through it (which I did obviously).

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was hoping I would find somebody that had done that. When I cut that ad out of the paper, I was on leave from Taiwan and was a C-130 crew chief. I spent most of 33 months in Viet Nam, and was seriously considering turning around and going back after I got out in 71. I went home after I got out and fell in love and forgot about the new job waiting for me.
Still married to the same woman so I guess I did the right thing!
How long did you stay over there drover?

-----------------------------
Ken

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My father in law was plucked out of Alaska flying bush flights and dropped off in Vietnam to fly for Air America. I was going through his papers the other day and came across a bunch of stuff from his time there. When he signed on in 1968 he was making a base pay of $880 per month. They provided him with a stipend for his housing and domestic staff too. After the evacuation in 1975 he was reimbursed for all his possessions that he had to leave behind which totaled about $2,100. It was the single best decision he ever made considering he married the love of his life there and a couple years later my wife was born in a MASH hospital in Saigon.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Man, that's a neat story! He beat the odds staying that many years in a war zone.
Have you and your wife ever gone back to Viet Nam?
Thanks for replying

----------------------------------------
Ken

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
"Have own hand tools"? They really wanted you to bring your Craftsman 100 piece socket set to Saigon?

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I considered a similar offer to supervise power grid reconstruction projects in Iraq. By then, the gross pay was up to the $200K per year range, tax-free if I would agree not to return to the USA for at least one year. It would have meant leaving a tenured position with a big high school and forfeiting a retirement I'd worked toward for close to 20 years. I'm glad I didn't decide to go for the big bucks for a short time!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Local dude here, think of one of the guys Slumlord describes, quit a pretty darn good civil service job to go to Iraq on one of those 1 year contract jobs. He was about 50 at the time and had it all planned out. “This is it”, he says, “one year over there and I’m done, retired and set for life”. Think it was like $125k tax free.

Upon his return he promptly bought a big assed Winnebango and a new Dodge pickup,....... And went to looking for a job since he was out of money.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Man, that's a neat story! He beat the odds staying that many years in a war zone.
Have you and your wife ever gone back to Viet Nam?
Thanks for replying

----------------------------------------
Ken

Ken, We haven’t although we will eventually. We really wanted to go back with her mom and dad when they went back several years ago but the timing was off. We were busy raising young children and by the time we were able to entertain the idea dad had Alzheimer’s. We’re headed to eastern Washington tomorrow to visit him but there’s no more stories for me to listen to since his memory is gone. We celebrate the little things now, having my FIL remember his daughter is what I continue to pray for. We’ve been lucky because he remembers my wife and I even when he’s forgotten everyone else.

I have listened intently over the years and I know many of his stories but I miss not being regaled by the true tales of his early life. Being shot down many times.....surrounded by NVA on one occasion after crash landing post shoot down he was unloading the small children, orphans, to put on another aircraft that he told the NVA that they could kill him or help him save those children but those were their only choices. He said he couldn’t believe it when those NVA set down their weapons to help him load those children because he was sure that he was done for. He carried a Swedish K as his flying gun but said he doesn’t know why he carried it because he never intended to pull or use it. 😁. He is and always was a very sweet man that didn’t need to corrupt himself with killing. He was the youngest pilot Air America had and subsequently the youngest operations supervisor at Ton Suh Nhut (?). He came home and continued working for the government flying and being shot down in Mexico during an opium eradication job he had.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Back when my wife and I began dating the ATF stopped by his house when I was there. He went outside with them and 20 minutes came back inside. I asked him if everything was ok and he said that the ATF had the Swedish K that he flew with and the paperwork for him to keep it but he thought that was too much trouble and he “didn’t have a need for that gun anymore”. I could’ve swallowed my tongue knowing what he just passed up on but I was a newcomer and kept my mouth shut. I got the girl so I don’t care about “that gun anymore”. 😁

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kennymauser
I was hoping I would find somebody that had done that. When I cut that ad out of the paper, I was on leave from Taiwan and was a C-130 crew chief. I spent most of 33 months in Viet Nam, and was seriously considering turning around and going back after I got out in 71. I went home after I got out and fell in love and forgot about the new job waiting for me.
Still married to the same woman so I guess I did the right thing!
How long did you stay over there drover?

-----------------------------
Ken

I did it twice. The first time was almost 2 years, a couple of years later I went back for another 6 month tour. The first time was great, by the second tour things had changed too much. Although the money was better things were getting dicey enough that it wasn't worth it and I also had a new bride in the states that I was missing. I was there a few years prior to your getting out

Yep, we had to supply my own tools, depending on your speciality the company gave a list of a minimum set of tool that you had to provide for yourself, and a lot of mine were Craftsman which was about as good of a tool that was available at that time.

I'll bet that most folks didn't realize that there was an EC-47, that was what my second tour was about.

drover

Last edited by drover; 02/18/20.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was also stationed in Ubon Thailand for Blind Bat missions. We had EC on a few of our C-130's- We were kind of testing them. Is that the EC 0n your Gooney Birds you are talking about? I think EC was also installed on the AC-119's.
Were you working in Thailand or Viet Nam?
When at Ubon we were always told that when we got out we could probably get on with Air America. Some their planes were at Ubon.
When I found that old ad a few days ago, I didn't really expect to get many replies when I posted it.

--------------------------------

Ken

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That type of ad has been used many times historically. Back in the early 1820's, a similar ad was placed in a national newspaper asking for "enterprising young men" to enter the fur trade. That 1 ad attracted a bevy of men who later became famous: Jim Bridger, Jedediah Smith, William Sublette, and others.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Are any of you former spooks familiar with the AWADS cargo drop system? The C-130's we maintained at a small facility near the end of the runway at U-Tapao only had a small tail number stenciled on them, and no other identifying marks. The crew members didn't wear uniforms with any rank or other ID on them.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think you may be referring to E-Flight aircraft out of the 21st Tactical Airlift Squadron stationed at Naha Okinawa.
I had a good friend that got moved to E Flight mostly because he was an experienced crew chief and had a top-secret security clearance. He would never tell us where he went or what he did, and he always took civilian clothes . Even several years later, he wouldn't tell me anything.
The one thing different about the E-Flight birds was that they were not painted camouflage, but they were silver as original. . The markings were like you describe.
Does that sound like what you saw at U-Tapao?

--------------------------------
Ken

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It has been so many years that a lot of details have become intertwined / forgotten. This has been a real trip down memory lane.

I was not involved with the electronics operations end of things on the EC-47 my primary job for wiring mods and rack installation modifications on the aircraft for the equipment. My title was Senior Mechanic/Electronics Technician which essentially meant that I was supposedly qualified to work any system on the aircraft but what it really meant was that wherever was needed done I could be assigned to it, lots of OJT at times.

My permanent station assignment was in Japan. the EC-47 I was involved with was a test-bed aircraft, we had our own little section of the field for it at Tachikawa AFB, Japan, the aircraft was under almost constant modifications and upgrades, that was in the early 60's which makes it a few years prior to when you were in SEA. In the mid-60's I was assigned to the C-130 outfit at Naha, Okinawa in the doing similar work there. Seeing the mention of Top Secret clearance reminded me that I initially had Secret but it had to be upgraded to Top Secret for the EC-47 project and carried it until my retirement a few years ago, I had forgotten about that.

As civilian contractors we lived off-base but had full base privileges to the Clubs, BX, Commissary, etc. I can't remember how it was worded on our orders but we had the rank privileges of a Major. Most folks have no idea how many civilian contractors there were working in Japan/Okinawa/SEA from the early 60's onward until the end of the Vietnam war. The pay rate was definitely better in SEA but I was ok with being in Japan although there were a couple of times I almost succumbed to the lure of more money in SEA.
I had a couple of co-worker acquaintances who did that were in the wrong place at the wrong time during the TET offensive and they never made it back to the US.

Just for the heck of it I typed in the 800 number on the want ad and it came up as LSI (Lear Seigler Inc), it led to a link that has similar ads from different cities in the US. There is lots of info about funding, etc of projects in SEA. I haven't read it yet because it is many pages long but it does look interesting - perhaps one of these winter days when I am bored.

drover

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (16penny, 11point, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,029 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,582
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.