Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If he lives through that, I'm gonna build a NASCAR car to hide in during earthquakes & tornadoes!

I bet I know where you can pick up one cheap...

I doubt it could be bought.

It will likely be studied for quite some time by rules makers, safety teams, maybe car builders to all learn from. Some complain about the car of tomorrow, all being the same, but it may have save Newmans life. As one thing the COT did was move the driver further away from the side of the car.
NASCAR might make mistakes from time to time but they're not stupid when it comes to safety. If they see failures in safety systems in Newmans car, they'll change
things.

Dale Sr's death might have saved Newmans life as the Hans device wasn't mandatory when Dale died & it's been said that one could have saved him. They are now mandatory.

I don't keep up with the series much anymore, but I still appreciate the talent of the drivers, builders & certain efforts by the sanctioning body.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most dry sump oil systems have about 5 gallons of oil contained in a pressurized tank so the engine doesn't lose oil pressure in the turns. Oil is scavenged out of a very shallow oil pan and routed to another stage of a belt-driven pump assembly where it's sent to a storage tank inside the roll cage. There's probably around 100 PSI or so in the tank and the lines back to the engine used for lubrication. Rupture the tank, or break a few lines, and hot oil will spray everywhere. It's not as flammable as gasoline, but I wouldn't want to be sitting in a pool of it waiting to be rescued!

Dale Sr. had a habit of loosening up his safety harness as a race progressed and it's possible that allowed him to bounce around inside the roll cage during his crash. I watched that one on TV, and I remarked to my wife that he was either completely unhurt, or dead. The ambulance left the crash site too leisurely to be transporting a badly injured driver.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If he lives through that, I'm gonna build a NASCAR car to hide in during earthquakes & tornadoes!

I bet I know where you can pick up one cheap...

LOL
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Engine oil tank was, for a time behind driver side front wheel. Differential oil cooler &/or tank in front of passenger side rear wheel. Trans oil cooler/tank was about middle ways.
That leaves engine coolant & driver cool suit/helmet tanks. I don''t know if they use straight water, glycol or alcohol based coolant for the engine. But I had gotten a bit excited & was standing about 3 feet from the TV when it happened. The fluid that was running out was clear & a very low viscosity. I feared it would blow any second, but it wasn't likely fuel.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
We used to be liable for huge fines from the track officials if we got caught using anything other than water in a cooling system. Glycol is so slippery that even a radiator overflow can venting onto the track could cause a spinout and a chain reaction wreck. There was some sort of surface tension reducer called "water wetter" that was legal to run, but I'm not sure what chemical it contained.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
We used to be liable for huge fines from the track officials if we got caught using anything other than water in a cooling system. Glycol is so slippery that even a radiator overflow can venting onto the track could cause a spinout and a chain reaction wreck. There was some sort of surface tension reducer called "water wetter" that was legal to run, but I'm not sure what chemical it contained.
Jerry

Shaklee Basic H?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Non life threatening doesn’t rule out A LOT of scenarios.
Head and spinal injuries are a real possibility.
I hope to see him up and walking whether he races another day or not.

Sean
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I didn't watch the race but went and looked at the video of the crash. Yikes! It is really amazing that he wasn't killed the second that car hit his drivers side.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just read an update that says he is conscious and speaking with doctors.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
I was watching it live (we were at the race). What a scary wreck. How a driver survives being t-boned on the driver’s door while upside down by a car oncoming at 180+ mph is beyond me. I guess a combination of the intrusion cage and doors, the driver’s seat, and the angle of the nose of the car that hit him made that survivable. What looked even worse is that when the car came to a stop, there was fire coming out of the fuel fill port, and fuel was pouring out of the ruptured fuel cell onto the ground but somehow did not ignite, and the fire suppression guys were able to get it put out. Newman could have been burned alive while upside down if the car went up before the fire guys got there. That said, I would still guess he has some pretty serious injuries that he’s going to have to deal with.

Having been involved in a gasoline fire (but in the pits), I was watching the fluids with intense interest until the safety crew got there. I actually think the fluid that was coming out was hot oil and not gasoline. With the volatility of gasoline, I think it would have fireballed immediately. Don't know for sure, just guessing

From what we were watching on the big screen at the race, it sure looked like the fuel cell ruptured and that was fuel leaking out. Looking at the videos after we got home, if it was fuel it should have ignited being as close as it was to the flames coming out of the fuel filler valve. That said, it may have been coolant/water for the suit/helmet cooling system, but I don’t know that for sure. Hopefully someone will advise for sure. Still waiting to hear what Newman’s injuries were from this, as I fear they will be significant.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Just read an update that says he is conscious and speaking with doctors.

Lucky guy!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don’t ya reckon he sustained burns, even with the fire suit?

Would be nice to know extent of his injuries.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Don’t ya reckon he sustained burns, even with the fire suit?

Would be nice to know extent of his injuries.

DF

Car didn't really catch on fire, and even if it did he would not have sustained burns unless he was in there for a long time. The Nomex suits are very good.
Reportts have him awake and talking with doctors, 'bout all we know.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Just read that Ryan Newman is up walking and fully alert. Good deal!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I wonder if he will be running all over the track again trying to block another car that's trying to pass him.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great news...... Thank you. And best wishes to Ryan !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Great! thanks for the update.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I wonder if he will be running all over the track again trying to block another car that's trying to pass him.

If he's able to race again I'm sure he will. That's what you do to win.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mirage243

That's racing

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by mirage243

He’s a race car driver.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 75 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.