Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Cooper57m: I have several Remington 500 series rimfire Rifles (including two 541-T's!) and NONE of them exhibit this "eccentricity" that you describe.
I am going to pay more attention to your reported phenomenon - as I use them for small game and Varminting almost exclusively and once they are "sighted in" at the range and ammo decided on - they just get used on said game.
Approximately how "high and left" is the first round?
Thanks for any further info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmitguy,

I have had the same experience with several 541s (mine and others).....seems to be fairly common. I do use my 541s for squirrel but dump a shot prior to actually shooting at a squirrel and then all seems good - they are great shooting rifles as long as your aware of this trait and watch the torque in the action screws.

PennDog

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sent 4 541-THB's back and forth to Remington in the 1990's who kindly refunded my money.Barrel's NG. 4 1/2" flyer's with some.Had 2 NYS benchrest champ's scratching their head. Save your money and buy Anschutz. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 02/18/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Cooper57m: I have several Remington 500 series rimfire Rifles (including two 541-T's!) and NONE of them exhibit this "eccentricity" that you describe.
I am going to pay more attention to your reported phenomenon - as I use them for small game and Varminting almost exclusively and once they are "sighted in" at the range and ammo decided on - they just get used on said game.
Approximately how "high and left" is the first round?
Thanks for any further info.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It's been awhile since I shot it. I put a Lyman target receiver sight and a globe front sight on it for my son to use when he was is Boy Scout and bought a Cooper for myself. As I recall, that first shot is out about 1" to 2" at 50 yds. A local gunsmith was the one who told me that he had seen others that did the same thing. I was inquiring about what could be done to correct it and was told there is likely some stress in the barrel and that re-barreling was about the only sure fix for it. Since it was used for targets, and, a couple warm-up shots took care of it, I decided against re-barreling it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Sent 4 541-THB's back and forth to Remington in the 1990's who kindly refunded my money.Barrel's NG. 4 1/2" flyer's with some.Had 2 NYS benchrest champ's scratching their head. Save your money and buy Anschutz. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

As a past NYS rimfire benchrest champ and past Unlimited Class National Benchrest Champion and an inductee in the IR50/50 Hall of Fame myself, it had me scratching my head. For those wanting a great shooting sporter the Anschutz and Cooper are both excellent, but pricey. Heck, my old Montgomery Ward 842/Mossberg 346K makes a better squirrel gun than that 541 THB.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am the most casual of casual shooters and almost always bring a .22 rifle to the range with ammunition proven to be accurate in that rifle to warm up with prior to shooting my center-fire rifles. The rifles that I bring along for warming up with most frequently are an Anschutz-Savage 141, a Marlin XT-22VR, a Tradewinds (Krico) 311A, or a Winchester (Miroku) 52 Sporter.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
From what I've read, first round flyers in a .22 rimfire are often caused by a build up of wax or lead right in front of the chamber. One local non formal match even allowed a "1 shot sighter" into the dirt, partially to combat the problem. After the first shot the build up softens enough that the next bullet through is not sized by it. Some people report success of eliminating it by using one of the fire lapping kits. I have also read some reports that although fire lapping didn't eliminate the problem that in did cut down the amount that the bullet may deviate, i.e. a 2" flyer cut down to 1" or whatever.

A 10/22 with an Adams and Bennet Barrel that I used to own had the first shot flyer. After the first shot it would do pretty good. I sold the rifle before reading of the cure so I did not have a chance to try it myself.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What you read was mostly incorrect. The reason for a first shot flyer, even in a quality match gun, is that the barrel is not seasoned or completely coated with wax/lube. Every top benchrest rimfire shooter I knew cleaned their barrel after every target ~ 40-50 shots. The reason for this is that it is easier to repeat a clean barrel condition than some varying degree of a dirty barrel condition. The lead/carbon ring build up in the leade is a problem, but regular cleaning with a brush keeps that at bay. That ring does not soften and will swag the bullet down in size, which we don't want. During a match I would put about 5 rounds down a clean barrel off target and off sighters, into the berm to thoroughly coat the bore with the wax/lube of the ammo that I was using that day. After that, I would go to my sighters to confirm consistent groups and to get a handle on the wind conditions. When everything was settled down and conditions were figured out, I would then go to my record targets. This is allowed in all the sanctioned rimfire events. Once a good barrel is properly conditioned with lube, the accuracy will be good up to and until the lead ring forms or until the barrel is too fouled. When that happens is a guess, which is why most would clean after every target and then shoot a couple foulers before going to the record targets. I know of no one in competition that used a fire lapping round. Our match barrels were perfectly lapped by our gunsmiths, no need to bugger that up. Just cleaning with a couple passes of a brass/bronze brush after every 40-50 shots is enough to keep that lead/carbon ring at bay. For the average non-match .22 rimfire, it's not an issue as they are not required or expected to shoot the .1-.2" groups that are expected from a match rimfire to be competitive.

My 541 THB will shoot a cold barrel flyer, then settle down. However, if left to cool, even after the barrel has been conditioned/fouled it will throw another big flyer. This is not typical or expected.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
they say only 10% of people are left handed. I would say 40% of people that shoot guns are left handed. watch video's, look at pictures of gun advertisments. I would say more than half of the people in those are left handed. last time I was at the gun range 3 out of 9 were left handed along the shooting benches. I dunno if being left handed makes you more prone to be a shooter. If I was left handed I actually think I would try to learn to shoot right handed to save the hassle.

It is not just an matter of handiness but also eye dominance. I'm left handed but right eye dominant so I shoot right handed.
I knew a right handed person in the Army that shot left handed because of eye dominance.

The 541-t hb I owned once upon a long time ago had had to have the barrel bedded and the action free floated to shoot well.
After that it was a1/4" rifle at 50 yards.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have had about as much experience with ACCURATE factory 22 LR rifles as anyone as I have been shooting them for over 60 Years. IMHO the 580 series rifles are WITHOUT a doubt one of the best/if not the best BANG 4 the buck

I currently own 3- 580,5 -581's 3 and 541's each and every one of these will average 1/2" --3/8" or better for 5/5 shot groups at 50 yds . One particular 508 has had minor mods and it will shoot with my Voleker 541 w/Lilja bbl- it has been glass bedded ,2 action screw, bbl shortened and 541 trigger.

I have seen NO measurable difference in the earlier Walnut stock rifles vs the later Birch ones the triggers although different both respond equally to polishing and spring mods .

I no longer have any of the HB 540 models although they are also very accurate-- I had one that my Smith turned the bbl to sporter contour and placed in a 580 stock and in Virginia late 80' shot a lot of "Bottle Cap" matches and won more that my fair share

In searching for a 580 series one thing to do if possible use a tight fitting patch on a GOOD one piece rod and check the bore in the area of the STAMPINGS on the bbl and check for roughness as the bbl is sooooo thin in that area that it moved into the bore- U will B able to feel -my 580 has NONE the bore is as smooth as the 541's

Good Luck

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler

And Anschutz is just another name for fancy Savage...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a 581 right port left bolt several years back that shoots very well !!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.