Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wish my dad hadn’t smoked. Maybe he would have lived past 66 and not been in so much pain his last years.

NRA Patron
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I quit in 1970 50 years ago I now have COPD.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by slumlord
Posted before but this was our “dove field” last summer

Mrs slumlord used to raise burley and dark with her daddy and ‘papaw’. Ya think it woulda took the sass outta her.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For those that don't know, that's dark fired tobacco. Cured with heat and smoke in barns, and used for chewing and dipping, with some of what is called "wrapper" leaf used to make cigars.

He has a large operation to have that much dark.

The dark always seems droopy and heavy by appearance and more greener obviously.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Mrs slumlord used to raise burley and dark with her daddy and ‘papaw’. Ya think it woulda took the sass outta her.

For those that don't know, that's dark fired tobacco. Cured with heat and smoke in barns, and used for chewing and dipping, with some of what is called "wrapper" leaf used to make cigars.

He has a large operation to have that much dark.

The dark always seems droopy and heavy by appearance and more greener obviously.

Some of it may be air cured dark, as U.S. Tobacco contracts a lot of that out here. We used to call it One Sucker when I grew it, although why I do not know, as it had just as many suckers on it as did any other kind of tobacco.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That looks like a HUGE tobacco base!

How did that work? I understand there was/is only so much acreage allowed to be planted in tobacco. How was it assigned?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That looks like a HUGE tobacco base!

How did that work? I understand there was/is only so much acreage allowed to be planted in tobacco. How was it assigned?

Lease up surrounding landowners’ base.

We used to lease ours out.

And yes...i was going to bring up that being a LARGE ‘base’ , figured it would fly over most greasy foreheads on here. Lol

These guys had about 30 mexis busting their asses in 95 degree heat.

My bud’s father in law used to run about 90 acres combined of both. He had a dozen mexicans that lived on site for the whole duration. He also had a couple hundred head of cattle and a shîtload of goats too for days they didnt need to be in the crop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to watch my cousin smoke crushed up oxycontin tabs in a piece of car antenna rod

He ded now

At least he wasn't from Billings or Salmon!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of former smokers here which is kind of a surprise. My first wife was a smoker too, but I buried her from lung cancer at age 53. Her smoking cost me a new house because her smoking in the old house wasn't good for me or the kids. Well, buy us a new one with a patio she told me, so I did. One day her smokers cough contained some blood in it and by that time it had spread to her liver, then her bone and brain. She was popping 40 mg Oxi like M&M's for the year long pain. We could have spent a Hawaiian vacation every year for what she was spending on those damn things to say nothing of a year long string of medical bills for chemo and radiation.

No, I never touched the things because I was in athletics and lung capacity sure beat smoking something. My 7th grade science teacher had a great demonstration for the class when he took one drag from a cigarette through a tissue and showed the class that brown crap that was going into your lungs. Later on my MD sister was in medical school and her cadaver was a former smoker. She said that running a scalpel into his lung tissue felt like it was going through gravel? I'm off my soapbox now. carry on.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Is that the kind of tobacco that stinks to high heaven and makes you want to puke just driving by the field?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Wabigoon: I was the child of two smokers and never had a desire to partake of that "bad habit" - come to think of it my two brothers never smoked either.
Saved a LOT of money and hope I saved some wear and tear on my body by staying away from them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.