Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
One COOOOOOLD azz morning on the Pecos river just upstream from the old Hackberry crossing. I was watching a buck trail these two does on a ridge just the other side of a hollow I was a-settin in. Chrystal clear and I bet 14 degrees. I was in buckskins, mocs, and a wool capote.

After about two hours that buck started moving up to the head of the draw where i had worked myself around to. I was setting behind this feeble excuse for a bush kinda on a big flat ground level rock. At about 60 yards buck stopped and looked right at me. I already had my wiping stick out and was using it as a rest for my flint Virginia rife gun of 50 cal. Perfect shot? I fired! Buck just looked at me. I stayed froze. I eased my way down flat on ground on my back. Buck started salking right straight at me. I poured another charge from my horn into charger and down bbl of rifle. Pulled out three-hole load block. Only one ball in it. Pushed in on powder. Pand primed pan with my horn. (Did all this laying flat on my back.).

Buck had walked up to about 25-30 yards from me a stopped. Lookin’ straight at me. I raised up threw rifle to shoulder. Stuck front sight on his briskett and fired. He got stiff legged and went straigh up in air. Fell to ground as dead a Julius Caesar. Secrets? Not really. I just took my time.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
On the other hand, a real man only needs to set out in the morning with the one shot he has in the gun. Just sayin'. grin grin cool

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
On the other hand, a real man only needs to set out in the morning with the one shot he has in the gun. Just sayin'. grin grin cool

Just a rank amateur here! 😉 cut me some slack!!! 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Also depends on what one is hunting.

I am getting into shooting squirrels with a fowler.

Measuring shot in the field is a royal PITA. I may buy a shot snake or shot flask, but in the meantime, I made some "cartridges" from a brown paper bag and used those to hold 12 pre-measured shot charges in my shooting bag, and then I carried a horn for powder and a measure. That let me load semi-efficiently (loading a shot charge makes me feel like I'm all thumbs, lol) while hunting tree rats.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shot snakes are great, IMO. You'll like it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure, I just don't like the price tag, lol.

I have three custom flintlocks and I balk at the cost of a shot snake, but there it is.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just carry three speedloaders and a snuff can of 209's, but I'm always totin' my 357 on my hip. Not completely traditional I must admit. 😂😂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Three speed loaders, but I have powder,bullets, primers in the saddle bags

Same here for me. I run a .54 cal CVA Hawkin percussion gun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry three speed loaders, mostly because that's how many came in the package when I bought them. I'd never get the gun reloaded in time for any kind of a fast follow up shot. I always am deliberate in loading the gun. I'd be the one to seat a ball without a powder charge under it, I just know it. I also carry a little bit of extra powder, balls, and patches, probably enough for two or three more loads, but that's it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I always reload after I shoot. You never know what might show up. I've had other deer or coyotes show up a minute after I shoot. Plus, God forbid, I wound one or miss.

Back before in-lines, I used to carry my .58 Zouave. I used to make pre-measured powder loads in a news paper tube that I'd roll around my powder measure and tape shut. When I reloaded, just tear it open and dump it in. I was using pre-lubed Buffalo mini balls and keep a few in my right vest pocket (I'm left handed) with a handful of caps. The ball starter in my left vest pocket. I'd generally carry 3 or 4 with one round in the gun.

Now, I carry one round in the gun, with 3 speed loaders on my belt. A handful of 209's in the right pocket and the ball starter in my left pocket. The rest of my ammo stays in the truck. I use a Power Belt Speed Clip for my speed loaders, it's real handy.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/PowerBelt-Speed-Clip-Loading-System/706305.uts?slotId=7

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/28/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.