Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn right it's a great cartridge, the 375 H&H of the small bores, with a 200gr Partition at 2725 fps, I don't know of any conus game animal I couldn't tackle to a long 400 yards.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 375 of small bores is relatively apt as a 220 gr Partition froma 30-06 will typically penetrate at least as well as a 300 gr Partition in the .375. And most times a bit better.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
And in closing, I will simply say I have tried a lot of the "newer" cartridges , some larger, some shorter, some flatter shooting , many newer and more fashionable but I have yet to find one any " better" for all around hunting than the 30-06.

That says an awful lot about the grand ol cartridge. No wonder it seems like i always have at least 4 in the safe. I'll never be without one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[/quote] I'm not the one who died and came back to life. You're a poser and that's easy to see. You may be able to fool the fans but you can't fool the players. Maybe you and Safariman should hook up. You might could ass shoot some bears in the next zip code and slap each other on the back, congratulating yourselves for being smart enough to use those big, flat shooting, hard hitting magnums to insure your success.
[/quote].....................Look you dumb lying SOB..... After my original post on this thread, you accused me of being un-ethical in the field by referring to do me as being more concerned with my cartridge as making some kind of a "fashion statement" rather than making sure I have a dead critter doing a proper job in the field...

There was NOTHING mentioned in my original post that warranted that kind of reply from you. NOTHING!.....Instead what you post in reply, is nothing more than knee jerk crap and assumptions accusing me of something that I have never done and would never do in the field.......

Seems to me there Blackie, that you just do not like guys who use magnums rounds? And you assume therefore that all we or I are doing is making fashion statements with our choice of cartridge without any concern for making ethical kills???

Well rather than accuse me of being un-ethical, why don't ya just come right out and say it...."I do not like guys who use magnum rounds for hunting because of,,,,and state your case rather than make a ridiculous and un-true accusation??? You obviously were not mature enough to do that right??? I guess not...

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Using magnums triggers a lot of people on here.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 458Win
The 375 of small bores is relatively apt as a 220 gr Partition froma 30-06 will typically penetrate at least as well as a 300 gr Partition in the .375. And most times a bit better.

Dang, good to know, I do use the 220 NPT's in an old 300 H&H with receiver peep, they loaf along at 2700 fps.

BSA, yes, I only have one '06 right now, but it's not leaving.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 30-06 is old and boring, the same could be said about me too I suppose. I've owned about 6 in my life and pulled the barrels and eventually turned them into something else. The last rifle I had built, last fall, is a 30-06 on a Win 70 action. Just can't see not owning one for whatever I may encounter in the future. I debated about going 300 WM but the '06 will do what ever I need to do, I just may need to get a bit closer...they do call it hunting and not "shooting" right? A close friend just spend $210 on three boxes of 338 ammo for an upcoming brown bear hunt, if I were going, I'd be using my '06!

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I first got a .30'06 in 1988 because I was going elk hunting that fall and wanted a new rifle. I killed my biggest elk both weight and antler wise on opening day of the season. A couple of weeks later I killed a coyote and my biggest W/T buck with it all with one shot each. I bought several more over the years just because of the rifles they were chambered in but all have been solid performers. I even found a pre '64 M70 Target and used it in Highpower Rifle Competition, even winning some medals and cash. I've since sold some so now I'm down to 7 if I haven't overlooked any. I can't remember using more than one shot per animal and the '06 has furnished me with one shot drops on both elk and deer, never loosing an animal, and won a match or two. I guess I could be called a fan huh?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
I'm not the one who died and came back to life. You're a poser and that's easy to see. You may be able to fool the fans but you can't fool the players. Maybe you and Safariman should hook up. You might could ass shoot some bears in the next zip code and slap each other on the back, congratulating yourselves for being smart enough to use those big, flat shooting, hard hitting magnums to insure your success.
[/quote].....................Look you dumb lying SOB..... After my original post on this thread, you accused me of being un-ethical in the field by referring to do me as being more concerned with my cartridge as making some kind of a "fashion statement" rather than making sure I have a dead critter doing a proper job in the field...

There was NOTHING mentioned in my original post that warranted that kind of reply from you. NOTHING!.....Instead what you post in reply, is nothing more than knee jerk crap and assumptions accusing me of something that I have never done and would never do in the field.......

Seems to me there Blackie, that you just do not like guys who use magnums rounds? And you assume therefore that all we or I are doing is making fashion statements with our choice of cartridge without any concern for making ethical kills???

Well rather than accuse me of being un-ethical, why don't ya just come right out and say it...."I do not like guys who use magnum rounds for hunting because of,,,,and state your case rather than make a ridiculous and un-true accusation??? You obviously were not mature enough to do that right??? I guess not...

[/quote] I didn't accuse you of anything you presumtuous, stupid, lying cock sucker. Now eat shyt and die *again* ass hole and lets see if you can make it stick this time. Despite your grandiose self image, you aren't nearly important enough for me to waste any more of my time on.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm not the one who died and came back to life. You're a poser and that's easy to see. You may be able to fool the fans but you can't fool the players. Maybe you and Safariman should hook up. You might could ass shoot some bears in the next zip code and slap each other on the back, congratulating yourselves for being smart enough to use those big, flat shooting, hard hitting magnums to insure your success.
.....................Look you dumb lying SOB..... After my original post on this thread, you accused me of being un-ethical in the field by referring to do me as being more concerned with my cartridge as making some kind of a "fashion statement" rather than making sure I have a dead critter doing a proper job in the field...

[/quote] I didn't accuse you of anything you presumtuous, stupid, lying cock sucker. Now eat shyt and die *again* ass hole and lets see if you can make it stick this time. Despite your grandiose self image, you aren't nearly important enough for me to waste any more of my time on.
[/quote]........You did not accuse me of anything?? U are a lying slimeball and scumbag....U have a memory issue?...Go back and read again what u typed you idiot....Right there in black and white to see slimeball....So u would like me to die again??..lol...lol...lol..Fine azz hole...Come to Calif and go for it...Let us all see if u can be more successful than I was uh???.....lol..lol.....U are such a liar when confronted....You implied things and were accusatory..... Go ahead and lie some more clown!

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I get a kick out of guys who call whatever cartridge "boring". Critters don't know or give a damn what cartridge you use to kill them. Dead critters on the ground ain't boring and the '06 will put them there about as regularly as can be.
There it is retard. Do yourself a favor and go get a psych evaluation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a good shooting 30-06!

Yes there is. See my signature. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
For me the 30-06 is unnecessary powerful for deer and the like. I think it comes into its own with elk/moose sized stuff. But that's the nit-pickings of a rifle nut.

I've used the 30-06 on antelope, whitetail deer, mule deer, black bear and elk. Limited to one rifle/chambering for the world, my choice would be the 30-06.

I always find it amusing people don't think of the 30-06 as a "powerful" cartridge. In the post-Weatherby era, perhaps it isn't. But to me it's a very potent round, and perhaps the ideal, all-around, every-man's elk cartridge.

... [Photos omitted]

Agreed. I've been known to use my "elk loads" for deer and antelope on more than one occasion. Unnecessary, maybe, but they worked. For the one-gun guy it is still hard to beat the .30-06 for all-around versatility.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/20/20. Reason: fixed end quote

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Col. Townsend Whelen said it best. "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I couldn't have sais it better.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I get a kick out of guys who call whatever cartridge "boring". Critters don't know or give a damn what cartridge you use to kill them. Dead critters on the ground ain't boring and the '06 will put them there about as regularly as can be.
............Well I see that you deliberately deleted a sentence or two from your above post.....You said that I cared more about making a fashion statement than I do about dead critters.....You deleted that part and then reposted your comments.....You are quite the liar and manipulator.....You know as well as I do that you deliberately deleted your accusation......You are damned liar......Nice try azz hole.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
............Well I see that you deliberately deleted a sentence or two from your above post.....You said that I cared more about making a fashion statement than I do about dead critters.....You deleted that part and then reposted your comments.....You are quite the liar and manipulator.....You know as well as I do that you deliberately deleted your accusation......You are damned liar......Nice try azz hole.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I didn't delete anything retard. Go look at your first response to my post where you quoted me. What a complete and utter moron you are. Time to put down the bong and step away from that can of paint chips dickhead.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I didn't delete anything retard. Go look at your first response to my post where you quoted me. What a complete and utter moron you are. Dickhead.
.........I did exactly that to make sure....And there was a deletion...Ya know what there Blackie..That was quite cute. Yep.....A deliberate deletion...And how do I know? Simple...Because after u made that accusation towards me, I responded while looking at your accusatory CRAP directly above.....So I know damned well that your accusation towards me was in fact deleted........Again...Nice try.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
East side vs. West side. Yo!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I didn't delete anything retard. Go look at your first response to my post where you quoted me. What a complete and utter moron you are. Dickhead.
.........I did exactly that to make sure....And there was a deletion...Ya know what there Blackie..That was quite cute. Yep.....A deliberate deletion...And how do I know? Simple...Because after u made that accusation towards me, I responded while looking at your accusatory CRAP directly above.....So I know damned well that your accusation towards me was in fact deleted........Again...Nice try.......
Well you know what there bigsleaze. Now you're a goddam filfthy liar and fuggin insane or delusional to boot. I certainly did not delete anything from your quote of my post.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (BigDave39355, Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.