Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by MM879
You need to remember you are pulling a small house down the road.

I’ve always thought of them as large porta-potties.

Ha, there's some truth to that. With a Wife and 2 daughters, the bathroom is an important feature! Seems like we've always had a camper. Our current 5th wheel is a 28' Coachman bunkhouse with a great layout.

OP, one thing to consider is that some campgrounds have limits on the size of RV they will allow. Do some research on where you plan to travel and make sure your RV choice makes sense. It's easy to over-buy in the RV world. Also, do your research on roads prior to leaving on a trip. Many roads have height and/or length restrictions you'll want to be aware of.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
FYI. South Dakota is the cheapest place to have residency if you’re be mobile . Source:rich,white dude who bought my camper a couple years ago.
P.s. I don’t think he had any sumac or had pop smoke’s new album.

Musta had a Super though......

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

As stated......the western States have millions of acres of public land...

Whether it be US Forest or BLM......dispersed/dry camping is free....find a spot and enjoy

As in my pic below.....a spot like this is rather easy to find......set up your trailer and enjoy the solitude

You may want some sort of off road vehicle to fully enjoy.....thats another subject

Yes also on the tandem axle trailer.....pulls better......safer.....Toy haulers are big in the west also..another thought

https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/camping

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by aalf
FYI. South Dakota is the cheapest place to have residency if you’re be mobile . Source:rich,white dude who bought my camper a couple years ago.
P.s. I don’t think he had any sumac or had pop smoke’s new album.

Musta had a Super though......

455 Super

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We've been thinks my about buying a 23'-28' range bumper pull. Something with maybe 1 slide but still light enough to tow behind my 1/2 ton. We aren't sure if we'd enjoy owning one or if it will just be a pain to deal with so we are going to rent one a few times this spring. Many people will rent theirs for about $100 a day. We will try before we buy.

Bb

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can add is price the stays where you are going to use it... could rent small house/cabins in AK for what it cost me to have an RV spot. I finally found a place to work it out though friends.

But if I had to pay the going monthly rate for an RV spot I could have rented a small house, with washer/dryer etc.... and had money left over. Rather than a spot where I had to provide my own RV and pay for the spot.

As to the bathrooms etc.. thats all dependant on age and size. I've never had an issue but we are only 55 currently.

If I had the cash I'd be looking at all the models. Ask about what modifications or layouts possible, even to the point possibly of having one built to your specs. And make important whats important to you.

we just replaced the floor in the slide out on our inlaws trailer. While we had it gutted their eyes flew open and said we could put loose big recliners there instead of the couch BS table etc... so now they have what works for them without buying a new trailer. But had they thought ahead they could have bought what they wanted.

Obviously 2 axles or more... we have single axle due to wifes smaller vehicle and we just don't need a big trailer here anymore. But had I known she was going to buy a truck while I was gone.... I WISH I had 2 axles but she doesn't want to trade it either... loves what she has so it is what it is.

Put the best rated tires on it you can get....

Slow is your friend while pulling.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've been using TT's for over 30 years and what everyone is dancing around is...camping in a TT is not inexpensive. You mentioned that you may need a 5th wheeler. That will require a 3500/350 series truck (Min) and maybe duel wheels. The cost of actual camping days is minimal compared to initial cost to get started. If purchasing the right truck and "camper" is not a problem, the cost to camp will be of little concern. That said, we love it and camp 10 to 12 weeks a year. We look forward to the camping season each year and if you decide to get into camper camping we hope you will as well. Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a very large guy, and beds and toilets are gonna have to fit me.
Many makers of campers buy prefab bathroom units. I've encountered 1 design in particular in 3 different brands owned by family members and friends. It's horrible. The toilet sits facing the center line of the camper. To get the drain inside the trailer frame, they moved the toilet forward 6" and it's too close to the wall. You can barely stand up because you can't lean forward to get your balance. You even have to work at keeping your balance to stand in front of it to pee.
Most RV bathrooms aren't made for big people but there are some out there that are. Find one that fits even if you don't like the camper. Then start researching floor plans and look for that particular bathroom unit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
get a comfort height porcelain toilet every TT maker offers them as an upgrade, I go 265# 6'4" and can crap up a storm just like home.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
oh yes do not leave your black water tank valve open when using a site with sewage hookup WAIT UNTIL TANK IS FULL TO EMPTY you will thank me for that bit of advice.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
oh yes do not leave your black water tank valve open when using a site with sewage hookup WAIT UNTIL TANK IS FULL TO EMPTY you will thank me for that bit of advice.

A friend of mine learned that the hard way. All the liquids drain out and leave the solids to set up hard. He had to fill it with water and drive about 50 miles to shake it all loose.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't have much time in TTs, but listen carefully to the suggestions for a tandem-axle trailer and the other towing-related bits. Towing things that heavy/large is something I do have much experience with and you can not take it lightly.

As far as "no such thing as too much tow vehicle", that is about right. As a young, single man I would tow at or beyond the towing book limit. As a married man with children, no way would I exceed book limits. Max for me is 75% of towing limit if family is on board.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

We are very happy with My Artic Fox pull trailer it is a 27T that I tow with a 2008 Tundra, with a 10,000 lbs tow capacity. Trailer

Weights 7200 lbs empty so they say. Probably 8500 lbs loaded. Also when you buy the Truck be sure you get a lower rear axle

ratio, Mine is 4:30 to 1, but that is ok as the Transmission has 2 overdrive gears. 6th is not used with trailer hooked up. Get a big enough

engine mine has 389 HP. On black water tanks I put dish soap packet in tank 2 or 3 hours before I go to dump site. I also add about 5 gallons

of water from my shower nozzle when I add my dish soap packet. My trailer also has a black tank flush system, after you drain it you close the drain valve

hook a hose up to the flush system I let it fill the tank about half way and open the drain valve, it does a good job. turn hoes off and disconnect. I might add Tire

pressure is very important, I have only lost one tire and I know it was because of low pressure. For Christmas my son bought me a automatic tire inflater

off the Matco Truck about a $100.00 . Just set the dial and fill.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good info here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by johnw
Looking ahead at retirement, and I wanna be fairly mobile and able to move with interests and seasons. I have never owned a camping trailer and have only slept in them on rare occasion, so my knowledge is limited. Excuse me for dumb-ass questions

Looking at campgrounds here and there, they are all pricey at nightly rates. Do most offer a monthly rate at a discount?

Has anyone found that purchasing property to stay in a camper works out financially? What about zoning and utility access?

There are some clubs you can join to mitigate the camping fees. Thousand trails comes to mind.

If you are planning to live in the trailer a good portion of time you will need a good one, as the cheap ones will not work out well. They absorb moisture and will not last.
This is not a particularly cheap lifestyle IMHO. But many people live it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had trailers since 1992.
I wouldn't full time in a 1/2 ton truck. They don't come stock with 10 ply tires and all the running gear is
lightweight.
Trailer manufacturers lie about the weight of their trailers. I don't believe they really weigh their trailers, at least not on certified scales.
Don't buy a lite or Super Lite.
All weather trailers are way better than standard trailers but cost more and weigh more.
A toy hauler will allow way longer boondocking with with 100 gals. of freshwater and an on board generator but lack storage space of standard trailers.
If you intend to snowbird at RV parks you will probably have to reserve way in advance. A friend of mine was on the road while his home was being built. They had a hard time finding RV parks to stay in.
Bass Pro Cabelas will allow overnight paring if you park around back. The BP in Colorado Springs has marked parking spots for RVs. on the east end of the store.
2 6v batteries are superior to 1 12v.
Keep 2 spare tires on hand.
Pay attention to the rating on your tires. Many times they are barely equal to the weight capacity of the trailer. I upgraded to D load range to C.
Don't haul a full load of water. In my trailer it would add 835 lbs. and you lose cargo capacity doing it.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
It sounds like you're contemplating being a "snowbird"- - - - -north in the summer and south when the snow flies. What part of the country will be "home base"? Do you intend to retain a permanent residence, or become a "full-timer"? There's a definite learning curve to hauling your house around behind you- - - - -backing, getting the rig leveled up in a campground so you don't end up with a headache after sleeping a few hours, and the refrigerator quits working because it's sensitive to tilt. Then there's routine maintenance on tires and wheel bearings, hooking up water and sewage lines properly, learning to pack cabinets so they don't spill during transport, and a few dozen other things you'll haver to learn along the way. No matter how big a rig you choose to tow, it's going to feel cramped compared to even a moderate sized apartment, let alone a house. A truck with enough towing capacity to handle a large trailer will get pretty lousy fuel economy, even when being run bobtailed with the trailer parked. Managing a load-equalizing hitch, trailer brakes, and sway controls is an acquired skill, but one that's necessary to travel safely. Then there's the matter of managing stopping distance and crosswind driving.

Campgrounds- - - - -most state and national parks have campgrounds with good to excellent facilities, and they're usually more reasonably priced than privately owned camps. Most public campgrounds have a maximum number of days you can stay without moving on so someone else can have your spot. A lot of privately run sites have weekly or monthly rates as well as daily fees.

I've been towing trailers of some sort or another, campers, utility trailers, race car haulers, and 18 wheelers, since the mid-1960's. I'm down to 4 utility trailers and one small motorhome at the moment. Have fun!
Jerry

Jerry, you mention a small motor home. What is your read on it as far as size, engine, maintenance, convenience, any thing that you can lend and advise?

Reason that I ask is I’ve recently stumbled across a 24’ Winnebago Navion Model, 2006 year model, Mercedes diesel, propane generator, etc. with 11000 miles on it. It needs a few latches replaced, small stuff, has new Michelin tires all around (the original ones had cracks from sitting) and has one slide out.

Asking price is 34k$ obo.

Much appreciate your (and any others, too) thoughts on small motor homes.
Thanks

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FYI. South Dakota is the cheapest place to have residency if you’re be mobile .
Exactly what we're planning to do..

All sorts of good advice above... Make notes. smile

Last edited by Redneck; 02/20/20.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by MM879
You need to remember you are pulling a small house down the road.

I’ve always thought of them as large porta-potties.

My wife calls them, and motor homes, road toasters.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
johnw,

be aware, many of the smaller RV type parks that are offering lower rates for monthly or seasonal, or even yearly, "camping" are being taken over by some rather seedy folks.

I've seen it everywhere from AK and WA to CA and AZ. Sometimes not the whole park, but the affordability aspect brings in some undesirables, and their grubby kids, dogs, cats, bicycles, druggie friends.

Be aware.

Geno

PS some of that knowledge I mentioned is first hand..............trailer living is not all it's cracked up to be at times.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,882 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,974
Posts18,480,751
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.