-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only advantage I've found to traveling with a travel trailer/RV is the ability to stay in places where there aren't any motels/hotels. Places like way back in the National Forests, National Parks, BLM land, etc.. Otherwise, by the time you figure in the cost of the trailer/RV, truck to pull it, and the cost to stay in campgrounds, you can pretty much stay in a very nice hotel for less.

GB4

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I read an article about a couple who sold out and went RVing full time with a huge motor home. They did have a home base, though. They built a metal shop with doors on both ends for a drive-through. They built a platform that covered most of the shop that was the height of the MH floor. They set it up as a large livingroom, then they added a couple bedrooms and a bath. They'd pull in and run out a ramp from the MH to the platform. They used the MH kitchen, bedroom, and main bathroom so they never had to load or unload anything. When it was time to hit the road, they'd just drive out and down the road.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Looking ahead at retirement, and I wanna be fairly mobile and able to move with interests and seasons. I have never owned a camping trailer and have only slept in them on rare occasion, so my knowledge is limited. Excuse me for dumb-ass questions

Looking at campgrounds here and there, they are all pricey at nightly rates. Do most offer a monthly rate at a discount?

Has anyone found that purchasing property to stay in a camper works out financially? What about zoning and utility access?

Skip the camper and stay in a hotel. You are hundreds of dollars ahead. I hate ours and it's about to cause a divorce. Drive right on by that camper sales place and do not turn in. In fact, give them the finger on the way by and keep on driving.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll take a camper any day over a hotel, more expensive or not. I hate hotels. I like my own space even if it has wheels under it. I also get sick of restaurant food.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New at this as well, having purchased a trailer last spring. Cookie loves it, and I'd still be happy with a tent as things are less of a hassle. We do mostly bush whacking which is dirt cheap (free) here in the west. Commercial camp sites are nice with all the facilities and hookups, but the prices damn near reach motel rates.

Our present issue is minimal battery life. Have two 12-volts, and with the unit sitting unoccupied and all shut off, they discharge in about 3 days. Even with the battery disconnect there are hardwired implements like smoke and CO detectors that are a constant drain. Need to take a day with someone that knows electricity and see if we can find the bleed or determine if we just have crappy batteries. Planning on switching over to two 6-volts in series, and then eventually going to lithium units, but that is near co-signer stuff. .

Back to the OP: A generator can be another significant expense and a little more labor as well.

We do have a snow bird friend that lives in his trailer and has things pretty well figured out. Lots of solar panels and the ability to run TV's, computers, etc via DC power. He's run down free sites on both ends and will at times sign up and get free sites plus services by becoming a camp ground host in remote areas. Picks up a little pocket change on those gigs.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/20/20.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
New at this as well, having purchased a trailer last spring. Cookie loves it, and I'd still be happy with a tent as thing are less of a hassle. We do mostly bush whacking which is dirt cheap (free) here in the west. Commercial camp sites are nice with all the facilities and hookups, but the prices damn near reach motel rates.

Our present issue is minimal battery life. Have two 12-volts, and with the unit sitting unoccupied and all turned off, they discharge in about 3 days. Even with the batter disconnect there are hardwired implements like smoke and CO detectors that are a constant drain. Need to take a day with someone that knows the trade and see if we can find the bleed or determine if we just have crappy batteries. Planning on switching over to two 6-volts in series, and then eventually going to lithium units.

Back to the OP: A generator can be another significant expense as well.

1minute,

have you tired one of those solar battery maintainers?

I lived in an RV 8 months a year for 8 years or so until I retired in 2107. It kept enough of a charge on my motorhome battery it would start right up, Still using it to keep the tractor battery "topped up".

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I use 2 6v golf cart batteries. They'll last far longer than 12v's. We had to replace our fridge last year. The new one has all kinds of electronic crap on it and uses far more power. The batteries used to last a week or more. Now it's more like 5 days, less if my wife runs the fan in the range hood. Fans pull a lot of power but the one in the bathroom is essential.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Also, on the power source topic:

I bought a small (1600w) power inverter generator at Northern tool for this type of use. Its their brand, Iron Horse I believe. It runs hours on a single gallon of fuel. Replace the o.e. Pull rope and you have a good ,reliable power source. Its about 40 lbs. just make a power cord that marries up between the main camper plug and the big plug on the gen.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Valsdad and Rock Chuck:

Appreciate the responses.

Purchased a small 50 watt panel last Christmas and plugged it into a controller. On bluebird days it can keep the charge up to snuff. On cloudy or overcast days, no, and I have to plug it in after just two to three days to avoid a complete drain. . Presently our charge assessment is based on some idiot lights where one presses a button and gets a full, 2/3, 1/3, empty reading. When I get through the warranty period I'll bypass or pull that system and just wire in digital voltmeter somewhere.

Do have a 3000 watt Honda generator and fire that up if we want to do TV, microwave, air conditioning etc We will likely get five or six 100 watt panels in the future. Cookie is very good at conserving power, making minimal use of the furnace, lights, water pump etc, but we feel we should be able to go two or three days without doing a full recharge.

Our unit is a bumper pull Minnie Winnie about 25 ft with a single slide out. Could probably sleep 4, and have enough seating that we can entertain up to about 7 for a sit down meal. Haul it around with a F350 crew cab diesel.

Have some small economic issues at the moment with a possible need to retrieve a son that's having difficulties nailing down his first million. Want to hit the road when we get that settled.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/20/20.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by MM879
You need to remember you are pulling a small house down the road.

I’ve always thought of them as large porta-potties.

Yes, the bathroom is a big part of the RV. I'm not the fast rider I once was. I have to eat a lot dirt at the back of the pack now. A hot shower
is golden. I can do anything on 30 amps, not!!!

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Rates at a privately owned campground that's within walking distance of Whittaker's Gun Shop. Just a little further up a ways is a pretty good size restaurant/antique/collectables/etc,, consignment shop, too:

http://diamondlakeresort.net/rates/

https://visitpreservationstation.com/

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I have been in a camper of some sort for 50+ years now. Had all types length makes,etc. Currently I have a destination series Heartland on property year round as my hunting camp. I also currently own a 42' motor home for mobile travel putting 25,000 miles on last year alone.There is one thing I have found out...There is nothing cheap about the RV life style!!! I'd sell the motor home but the wife loves it.
I would never sell my home and live in one on the road or parked. Well the house rent an apartment or condo so you have no maintaining the yard THEN get a smaller motor home and travel. I know with my 42' coach there are places that I can not take it legally....son lives in [bleep] usa and you can not drive a rig longer than 28' in that town!.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My parents were RV'ers for about 20 years. They had a bunch of different ones, bumper pulls, 5th wheels, and a couple motor homes. They finally settled on a bumper pull so Dad could take his car top boat for fishing. They got tired of the high cost of MH's. There was always something expensive to fix.

At one point, Dad put a propane conversion kit in his pickup with a large fuel tank behind the cab. Then they took a Good Sam caravan tour of Mexico with a tour guide. There were something like 30 RVers in the group. Mexico was in middle of an oil crisis with rock bottom prices. They were burning off gas just to get rid of it. Propane was a few cents/gal, so cheap that their 3500 mile trip only cost them $20 in fuel. You don't get that lucky very often.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
We bought a big pull behind to take the kids. Bought way to big as we were damn near 60’ bumper to bumper. Room was nice but a pain to drive around and get in some parks. Downsized to a smaller unit with expandable ends. Fun but a lot of work. We got to see several places and still use it as it paid off but we know where we “want” to be. And will start looking for a cottage or cabin there as our kids get bigger. I have no intention of buying another RV.

YMMV
David

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

There would be a number of issues for us to work out before doing this. Getting a boat where we'd be going is just one of them. My wife has recently begun collecting some wall art and wants it to go with us.

The dog
The grandkids
Lots of things to work out

Including the mileage to all the places we'd like to spend time.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've had 3 campers & I believe Floor plan trumps size every time.

A buddy told me he wanted this or that but they wee hard to find, so he settled on what they had.

Way too many dealers & brands out there to not get what you want.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by johnw

There would be a number of issues for us to work out before doing this. Getting a boat where we'd be going is just one of them. My wife has recently begun collecting some wall art and wants it to go with us.

The dog
The grandkids
Lots of things to work out

Including the mileage to all the places we'd like to spend time.

Some hotels tack on another 30$ per night if you have a dog.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm RVing in AZ . Nice to pull up, start gen, run out slides.When boon docking. Have my stuff with me. I don't have to carry it in hotel rm. Too much, to do it, anyway.
When in campground less than hotel rm. Hook up electric, water ,sewer, good to go. Yes picking out the RV is key. Look at lots of them. Ck reviews. I like the flexibility to just hook up and go where the wind blows, or not.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"For sale- - - -small camp trailer.. Sleeps one couple, four good friends, or 14 drunks after a tailgate party!"

LOL!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
"For sale- - - -small camp trailer.. Sleeps one couple, four good friends, or 14 drunks after a tailgate party!"

LOL!
Jerry

A friend had an old humpback trailer he called the motel 6. After a big rain storm during a field party, we called it the Super 8.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 76 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,521
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.