-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, here’s what I’ve found out thru my records, the internet, and help from many here. The Ruger Redhawk, for what it’s worth, is my favorite handgun. Others are maybe more practical, weigh less, and are much more refined, all in the opinion of many here and on other forums, but it is my personal favorite and the action can be tuned and polished to my satisfaction. The best I can count I own or have owned, shot, and worked on 16 different Redhawks in my life. Manufacture started in 1979...........

1). The first ones were, according to Ruger, shipped to distributors in early 1980. These first models were stainless steel
only and all had 7.5” barrels.
2). In 1983, the 5.5” was added to accompany the 7.5” models. Also in 1983, both barrel lengths were made available in
both stainless and blued models. Also in 1983, a few thousand were made with the hammer pivot pin flat moved from its
original location on the right side of the frame to the left side.(reason unknown). It was moved back to the right side in late 1983, where it
remains today.
3). In 2008, a four inch version was added to the Redhawk line-up, later changed to 4.2” in order to comply with
Canadian import laws.
4). At no time have nickeled or high-polished Redhawks been manufactured.

This is all I’ve got. If anyone has any more information, I would appreciate knowing what you have.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've asked before...but why were the 5.5" in 45LC so limited in number? And what keeps them from making more today? The 44 is currently produced in 5.5"???

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had a 5.5” 41 Mag in blue, must have been in the late 80’s. Really nice shooter.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by lastround
Gutthooked,
Good luck with your Redhawk. Be sure you are getting a good crimp on that XTP. It is a good bullet and should work well with Unique. I’d be interested in knowing how it does.

Finally made it out and shot a couple of rounds before the rain hit, the 9 grains unique did pattern better and was less snappy than the 296. I'm sure some of it is operator error.

I need to paint my front sight the color from the factory is hard to see and the paint was not put on straight on the ramp from the factory.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jesse,
The standard chambering for the Redhawk has always been 44 Magnum. However, occasionally Ruger has made a run in a few different chamberings, namely 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, and as you mentioned, 45 Colt. They don’t however make runs of anything but 44 Magnum on a regular basis. They did make some in both 7.5” and 5.5” chambered in 45 Colt in the 90’s, and again in the last decade. The more recent run also included the 4” model. Just keep watching as I’ll bet they will make them again. Also, Gunbroker has listings currently for Redhawks in all chamberings and in all barrel lengths.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gutthooked,
If you have a Redhawk that has a painted front sight, it is not the original factory sight. All Redhawks come with a blackened sight with a red/orange dovetailed polymer insert. They can be purchased from Ruger (customer service) with or without the insert. But none were painted.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can also occasionally find the old Millett front sights which have a bright orange bar up the center. I really like these and they are often a few thousandths taller than the OEM front sight.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gutthooked,
If you have a Redhawk that has a painted front sight, it is not the original factory sight. All Redhawks come with a blackened sight with a red/orange dovetailed polymer insert. They can be purchased from Ruger (customer service) with or without the insert. But none were painted.

Intresting, I bought the redhawk new last fall from the dealer. Got a pic but can't post it here.

Challenge your limits
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Gutthooked,

No, Ruger made some solid Redhawk front sights. Not painted, blued. I bought one from Ruger to replace the red ramp sight on a Super Blackhawk Hunter model. The solid Redhawk sight is a fraction taller than the "hunter" sight so I was able to shoot a little bit heavier bullets w/o running out of sight adjustment. Though I have neither gun right now, I still have that front sight.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Tom,
If you read my post, it says “with or without the insert”. I too have purchased a couple of the plain black or “blued” front sights over the years. I think what Gutthooked is saying is that his sight is shedding the factory insert or is shedding a red paint that has been applied to the top surface. A picture would help identify his problem, but I understand the difficulty of doing so. I’ve not been able to do pictures since Photobucket.

Doug
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you are having a hard time seeing the front sight...like I am...I now use these and they work great....

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...er-fiber-optic-front-sight-prod8808.aspx

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger used a similar front sight on a Lipsey “special run” of Redhawks in, I think, 2016 or 2017. I also have a 44 Special GP100 3” on which they used that fiber optic front sight. I like it as it is easy to see on a defensive carry revolver. RJM, how do you find that sight works for precision shooting, ie targets and such?

Doug
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
link for front site like mine

The paint on mine isn't that bright and the red is painted on an angle instead of straight. You'd think it'd been better for a new gun. I guess it's pretty nice compared to the pythons....

Challenge your limits
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a new in box 1983 Redhawk in 357mag for sale on Gunbroker right now with the pin mortise on the right side. I’ve always heard the old 357’s were quite rare, I was looking on Gunbroker and noticed they have several new current production Redhawk 357’s with 8 shot cylinders.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My 5.5" 357 Redhawk has a 6 shot cylinder.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DocEd
My 5.5" 357 Redhawk has a 6 shot cylinder.

I’m sure your Redhawk is heavy to carry but a pleasure to shoot!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This was a good and informative thread. I just enjoyed re-reading it and thought I’d bring it back, like it or not!

Doug
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Blues/stainless

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,564
Posts18,473,225
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.