Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
How many times have you read, "For whom the bell tolls" ? I got that one on the first read also.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm watching it on youtube now.

The directors should have learned the difference between a Treeing Walker and a Bluetick, however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watched it the first time in elementary school. Hits you right in the feelz. I still love that film.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Much bether and sadder than old yeller

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read it in middle school sometime. While I found the deaths' of the dogs sad, I found a much deeper sadness in something I could not quite explain at the time: the loss of a way of life. I found that I was longing for something that I had never truly known. The beautiful isolation of that mountain community and the simple existence of the people described there juxtaposed with the urban world that the boy-turned-man found himself living in was one of the first times I remember bemoaning the fact that the ceaseless drive of progress cares not for the beauty of what is, believing only in the superiority of what can be.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening, my two daughters bought both video tapes for me. There in mint condition, only played once. I think they both got a kick out of their six foot three inches, 225lb, Dad tearing up like a school girl. Joke was on them, I had seen it before so when that scene came up I left the room & went to the wash room. When I came back they were both balling their eyes out along with Mom. I asked what was wrong & ya couldn't understand anything any of them said. Like I said both tapes are in mint condition. Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great read and good movie. I gotta read it again, been a long time.

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was my Dads most favorite movie, He told my brother and I many times that he and his older brother lived many of the scenes in that movie. My Dad could not wait til my son and daughter were old enough to watch and understand the movie . it became a family tradition for my Mom and Dad to have both kids stay over for his birthday and have a pizza party and watch that movie. now when its his birthday my wife and kids have a pizza party and watch it. there is never a dry eye in the house, I am not sure if it is the movie or just some of our memories of days gone by. but with all that we would not ever think about not watching it every march 21st !!!

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But what about Ol’ Yeller??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
Great read and good movie. I gotta read it again, been a long time.

Yep. Me too

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was just talking about this book the other day with the old lady. I'd read that book several dozens of times as a kid. I remember laying on the bed, a piece of horehound candy (the type his grandfather gave him in the store) and being lost in the story. Can't remember where the parents got that not-so-great tasting candy, but I would pop a piece or two whenever I'd read the book. Wasn't hard to keep a stash of it, as it was pretty horrible! But had to have some when reading the book.

Movie was okay, but the book was where it was at.

Buddy of mine in school also a big fan. He picked up a pair of beagles and named them "Big Dan" and "Sweet Ann" in honor of "Old Dan and Little Ann" in the book. At 11 or 12 years old or so, we'd take off chasing jackrabbits with them dogs. Pretty sure we never shot a rabbit over them dogs, but damn we had fun. We didn't shoot cottontails, and at that time didn't know a beagle wasn't for a crap for jackrabbit hunting in the cedars! High hopes of slaying loads of jacks were dashed!

Here we are 40 years later, and still best of buds, and still talk about that book from time to time (and our time fartin' around as kids in 70's Northern AZ).

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CEoW717

read that, savage sam and hound dog man.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Don’t forget Little Arliss!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep...movie and book is a gooder.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great book. I didn’t care for the movie quite as much.

If you like Wilson Rawls, pick up a copy of “Summer of the Monkeys”. It’s as good as the Red Fern.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimy
How many times have you read, "For whom the bell tolls" ? I got that one on the first read also.

Actually, I think I've read the book about 3 times. I've also watched the movie at least half a dozen time, and never get tired of it. Gary Cooper was outstanding, as well as Ingrid Bergman, and the supporting cast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimy

Three.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by CEoW717

read that, savage sam and hound dog man.

Another good one is The Voice Of Bugle Ann.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I think the reason why the movie is not as good as the book is because we all painted a picture in our minds of what each adventure looked like. It makes it a personal experience. Then when the movie looks different, you're kind of left going "NO, that's not how it looked!" lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I think the reason why the movie is not as good as the book is because we all painted a picture in our minds of what each adventure looked like. It makes it a personal experience. Then when the movie looks different, you're kind of left going "NO, that's not how it looked!" lol

Yep. I would agree with this. It was an amazing story to read a young boy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 22 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.