Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
What happens to ignition if you miss a piece of walnut in the flash hole? Something I've always wondered about.

I don't know, but I believe I'm going to intentionally try it to find out. My guess is that you wouldn't get as good ignition and the velocity would be slower. Either that, or no difference at all.

I clean before de-capping and sizing. That way, the de-capping pin solves the problem.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have zero experience wet tumbling, but it seems like wet tumbling with pins is just a big of a PITA as cob/walnut media is, no?

JG I thought the same thing. I’ve been using corn cob and vibratory method for 30+ years. Just a few months ago decided to try stainless n wet. Ran a couple trial n error batches now I’m never going back. Stainless pin are the only way to fly imho.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anybody use chemical cleaner to clean really dirty brass?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande

Yes, I use this:

Hornady ultra-sonic cleaner

It works well and is easy to use.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have zero experience wet tumbling, but it seems like wet tumbling with pins is just a big of a PITA as cob/walnut media is, no?

I am very pleased with the result of wet tumbling. I've visually inspected corn cob, walnut results and do not find those media to do as good a job. Plus, stainless pins never wear out. You never have to replace them, if you're careful with them. I've never touched the other half of the bag I bought many years ago.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by local_dirt

I am very pleased with the result of wet tumbling. I've visually inspected corn cob, walnut results and do not find those media to do as good a job. Plus, stainless pins never wear out. You never have to replace them, if you're careful with them. I've never touched the other half of the bag I bought many years ago.

It’s the best way to go, I have a timer, set and forget.
It makes them better than new brass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco

hanco, I'm curious what time you set your timer for. I don't have a timer, but usually run mine 6-8 hours in a set and forget type mode. I look at the clock when I flip the switch on the tumbler and figure on 6-8 hours. Have found that tumbling too long dulls the finish on the brass.

I've been doing it this way for quite a while.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I use the stainless pin tumblers.

Another trick I use is after I pull em out and rinse them, I throw the brass in an old pillow case and tie a knot in it. Throw that inside a heavy towel that I had the wife sew up like a pillow case, throw a tie wrap around the end. In the dryer for 10 minutes on high and you don't get the water spots, and they are immediately dry and ready to load. What few stainless pins you might miss or end up stuck in flash holes are laying in the bottom of the pillow case.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant

hanco, I'm curious what time you set your timer for. I don't have a timer, but usually run mine 6-8 hours in a set and forget type mode. I look at the clock when I flip the switch on the tumbler and figure on 6-8 hours. Have found that tumbling too long dulls the finish on the brass.

Bought a cheap extension cord at Ace Hardware that had the timer built in. It was cheap. It has a 24 hour clock. I forgot a couple times, brass ran for 24 hours. You can set it for as long as you want.

I think it made to turn lights on and off while you are gone. If you have two or three of them, you could have lamps going on and off at all different hours when you aren’t there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande

I rinse dirty brass with clear hot water and letting them dry before putting them in a plastic freezer bag with some glycerin lube from RCBS. After resizing, I put the brass into plastic coffee containers and spray in some Simple Green to get the glycerin lube off. I put in some hot water and stir the brass in the coffee container to get them clean. I drain them and let them dry out. When they are dry I put them through a vibratory brass tumbler with walnut shell media I got from a pet supply store.

IN the end, the only liquid cleaner I use is the Simple Green to get the glycerin off. The Simple Green does tend to shine up the brass. It is a little harsh so I only let it stay on the brass 2 or 3 minutes before rinsing them clean and drying them out.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hmm, I just run my wet tumbler for about two and a half hours. Gets em plenty clean imo. Some minor residue left in the primer pockets, but so small an amount I don't bother with any further cleaning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bit late chiming in here. An issue that might be unique to the BPCR sector where cartridge length can be quite critical with lead slugs is that cartridges will shorten over time due to peening of the necks. Likely a minor issue with bottleneck cartridges and jacketed slugs. With lead slugs and straight walled cartridges, there can be some lead shaving and leading issues when the bass is on the short side.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/20/20.

1Minute
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I too use the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler and SS pins. I will load a pound or a smidgeon (scientific measurement) more of dirty brass in each drum, weighed on a common kitchen scale, with a 1/4 teaspoon of "Lemi-Shine" dishwasher cleaner booster (citric acid) and 3 good squirts of dish washing detergent, such as Dawn or Palmolive, and fill with HOT water until covering brass about 1/2 - 3/4 inch or so. Warning: Do NOT use any more than this amount of Lemi-Shine in each of the drums or it will turn the brass red. The brass will still be good, but will have a red tint to it. Don't ask me how I know this. Tumble the brass for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. If you go longer, after about 3 1/2 hours the brass starts to get a bit dull looking. Not damaged, but not as shiny, and there is no need to go this long. Remove from the drums and rinse well with hot water and strain the pins out. I do this with two buckets, a large wire kitchen strainer, and a small plastic colander. I fill one of the buckets with hot water. I empty out one drum at a time, staining the contents into the empty bucket. Make sure all the pins that came from each drum are returned to that same drum to keep the quantities even. That is why I do each one separately. I fill the drum with clean hot water from the water bucket and pour it over the pins and brass in the strainer into the empty bucket. I turn all pieces upside down when picking them up from my large kitchen wire strainer and give them one quick little shake to make sure all the pins are out. I will then rinse the cleaned brass again dousing them in the clean hot water bucket using the colander. Another clean wire strainer would work as well. Shake off as much water as you can. I rake the bucket bottoms of each with a magnet on a telescoping stick from Harbor Freight to pick up the pins that went through the strainer, rinse them in the clean water bucket, and return to the rinsed out drum for use again. Repeat with the next drum. After rinsing the brass, I roll them around on an old towel and put them on trays of a common food dehydrator, the kind you make dried fruits or jerky with. I usually leave them in on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, but this is probably much longer than needed. I just want to make sure they are good and dry. You can also do the same thing on a metal tray in the kitchen oven. This sounds like a lot of trouble, but it really is not. While these various process steps are running, go load or prep some already cleaned brass, cut the grass, weed the garden, surf the net, etc. After you get the system down, it goes pretty smoothly.

This is what I do and I will bring back anywhere from 50 to 250 pieces of pistol brass at a time from a range session. I decap all brass with a decapping die and separate into containers by what will clean together. Such as .380, 9mm, .38, and .357 I will clean together as they will not stick together. I also will clean .44 mag/spl, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt together. 5.56mm/.223 are a pain to clean as often the pins will clog up in the bottleneck and will take a lot of shaking to get them out. If I were to be dealing with larger quantities of brass to be loaded on a Dillon type large quantity producing machine, I would go with a much larger capacity tumbling system. For my quantities, this system is very economical and does a quality job. Note: Harbor Freight has two models of tumblers. One is a single drum and the other a dual drum. Do not bother with the single drum as it is not enough capacity to fool with. With a dual drum tumbler you can clean up to 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 lbs of brass at a time.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Henryseale, try my drying method I described a few post up, it works like a charm, and very quick.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dale06
Wore out a vibrator. Bought another. Been using for 40 years and works for me.

Choose your words wisely...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I didn't know that anyone even "cleaned" brass anymore these days.

That's a useless waste of time. If it's got actual dirt, then wipe it off. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Bought a cheap extension cord at Ace Hardware that had the timer built in. It was cheap. It has a 24 hour clock. I forgot a couple times, brass ran for 24 hours. You can set it for as long as you want.

I think it made to turn lights on and off while you are gone. If you have two or three of them, you could have lamps going on and off at all different hours when you aren’t there.

That's a good idea.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
After reading this thread and doing some research, I decided to buy a Frankfort Arsenal Tumbler for an early birthday present for me! I had about 200 mixed 30-06 brass I got off an fellow way back, and it even had about half old military mixed in with it. Needless to say, it was as nasty looking as any brass I've ever seen that wasn't dug out of the ground. I got busy with my universal decapper and primer pocket swage for the GI stuff. This past evening I filled the tumbler up and used the free sample packet of the tumbling solution and the 5lbs of stainless pins that came with it. I knew it would take a while, so I ran it through two whole cycles and then some. When I emptied the tumbler, the water was coal black and horrible looking. I rinsed it a few times and I am amazed how nice and shiny new it all looks. Why didn't I do this years ago? I tried to tumble some of this brass a few years ago and it still didn't look good, especially inside. Now I'm looking around for more brass to shine up. I am pretty amazed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,511
Posts18,509,390
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.