Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Well, I am! But I am an equal opportunity poster.

Have at it gents,

Hell ain't half full yet.

First we better start off with an agreed upon definition of a Christian, then we can hash out who is and who isn't.

The question is not who is a christian, but Why Aren't You one.

Decide for yourself if you are or not, and then tell us why.

Oh no I'm afraid it's not that simple! I've seen lots of people call themselves Christian's and yet according to biblical standards that simply can't be true. Also, I've seen plenty of arguments,here and elsewhere, between people claiming to be Christian while others who claim likewise tell them their beliefs are wrong, so maybe they aren't? It would be most helpful if we could just really nail it down first, then we can set about eliminating those who don't make the cut!

Great comment and great question..... what is the “biblical standard” for being a Christian?

Now, I can easily surmise the opinion.....the opinion.... what a non-Christian would say..... we have seen countless examples of that.....

But what is the “biblical standard” is a very interesting question.....

What say you?

I've thought about it a fair bit and still can't quite decide what the correct biblical answer would be. On one hand, you have John 3:16 and numerous other passages that indicate believe=saved. On the other hand, it also says that not all who call him father will see the kingdom of heaven. Not even those who were able to drive out demons on his name will necessarily make it. Then we have multiple parables about how one should conduct oneself in the world, and bear good fruit, or else be cut down. The fruits of the spirit come to mind as well; if a professed believer does not exhibit any of the fruits of the Spirit, are they really a believer/Christian?

I'm not nearly a good enough bible scholar to make a good debate of this, but I wonder if this is part of the problem some people have with Paul, as is being discussed in the other thread. It seems to me that people come to Christianity for one of 3 main reasons. The first is a hereditary Christian, they are Christians because their parents and friends were Christians,and have never really considered anything else. The second is basically scared of hell and are hedging their bets, playing the "better safe than sorry" card. The third is looking for a way to be a better person, either due to traumatic life events or because they simply are not satisfied with themselves.

The second type seem very attracted to the idea that they can beleive and be saved, no further questions asked. These people often behave as badly or frequently worse than non believers, since they believe they have an ace up their sleeve that will save them in the end.

The third type are more interested in trying to live the teachings of Jesus, as they believe this is the guideline to follow to live a good life and live properly in the world.I would be inclined to agree with them on that point,btw, regardless of if the Bible is "true" in every other sense. The last two types are often in conflict because one thinks the other is trying to earn something that can't be earned, while the other side thinks the former are simply using their faith as a blanket permit to behave as they please and still be "Christian" and saved, making everyone else who is actually trying to live right look bad. At least, that's the best I can explain it right now.

You’ve given this quite a bit of thought. Refreshing!

The short answer is that all of us are humans....and we all have spiritual starting points..... at the start of the journey, we seem to be mostly like the “carnal Christians” of 1 Corinthians 3..... “worldly Christians” so to speak. Paul refers to us as “babes in Christ” that can only take on “spiritual milk.” The carnal Christians may have behaviors indistinguishable from that of the world.

But, spiritual growth happens and most, but not all Christians grow in both knowledge of God and in also grow in right behavior. You may hear of how a Christians “good works” are laid on the foundation of salvation. 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 is fascinating and great with implication.

The goal seems to be spiritual growth ..... to become more like Jesus as we walk this earth. But, all of us are still in those fleshly bodies and still stumble and fall.... most of us do that on a daily basis. You may meet a Christian that is having a sin or flesh issue.....his foundation has been laid in that he is born again and saved by grace, but he is not living as he should and is not walking hand in hand with the Lord. You may meet another and see grace and peace and an attitude of joy and thanksgiving. Both are Christians in that they have had the foundation of the gift laid.... born again.

Most believers that have lived a few years will talk about a born again experience..... they will tell of their own spiritual growth....and most will tell of dry times.... times when they were not walking through life with Him..... Times of not standing firm and indeed giving into sin and wrong behavior.... and times of repentance and being brought back into a close walk.

So, trying to be brief.... all Christians share the foundation of the gift of the quickening of the Spirit. But, after the foundation has been laid, there is a wide.....wide.... wide spectrum of what is built on that foundation..... some build with wood and straw..... some build with stone..... the quality of each man’s work will be shown.

Important note: I hold to the idea that the believers will be judged on what he has built on the foundation laid by Christ.

Non-believers? Well, they will be judged ..... firstly... on whether or not the foundation has been laid. Is it there? Not good if the foundation which is Jesus Christ is not there, has been rejected.... well, not so good.

One comment about the “ace up their sleeve.” I would worry about the one who thinks he has a “get out of jail free card.” Best answer I can give is that in theory, yes, a death bed profession of faith can indeed lay the foundation...and maybe the only good work ever built on that foundation is that profession of faith. I’m ok with that. What I’m not ok with is somebody trying the game the system.... mouthing the words bit not taking the gift in hand and starting the walk.

The relevant scripture is Matthew 7:22-24:

“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy (preach) in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? (lies?). Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’ Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them is like a wise man who built his house on the rock...”. (The house you build is your good works/ministry and the rock is the foundation of Jesus Christ.)

Last edited by TF49; 02/20/20.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by DBT
An easy answer, the bible is a collection of books written by man, not God, and compiled by man, not God, in order to meet the needs of the people in power, Constantine, et al, as a way of controlling the masses, providing a value system and identity, ie, being a Christian.

Of course, the Jews disagreed. Jesus was not their promised Messiah, the Muslims have their own prophet... to mention a few problems with faith.

To say it was not written by God is to purport to speak for God. So, on your premises you're no different than the Biblical writers you criticize.

Okay, a couple points here. One can not purport to speak for that which he believes does not exist.

And second, yes many of us believe we are absolutely no different than those who wrote the scriptures in question. They were just greedy, fallible, sinners, like all the rest of us.

And yes I can use the word sinner. A sinner is one who takes actions in his/her self interest even though it will surely bring harm to another.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lol.. I dont need to read a book or join a team to have values or ethics, its basic human nature. Specifically when the overwhelming evidence shows the over all Christian religion is riddled with horrible ethics and values.

Heres what I think. If I live a good, honest and productive life with only displaying 1/2 the hate and bigotry the average intolerant Christian does, God will give me a cut the line pass to heaven if there is such a place.

My Uncle In-Law was a pastor in the Methodist Church for 30+ years. The group his area used to manage their retirement accounts, mismanaged the funds and he was left hanging. Theres a man that served “god” for his entire career, and got bent over backwards. I guess him needing to keep working is all part of gods plan hahahaha...

Snake oil and fools gold. Theres always a catch with whatever someones selling.... and theres a lot of gullible buyers in this world.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Lol.. I dont need to read a book or join a team to have values or ethics, its basic human nature. Specifically when the overwhelming evidence shows the over all Christian religion is riddled with horrible ethics and values.

Heres what I think. If I live a good, honest and productive life with only displaying 1/2 the hate and bigotry the average intolerant Christian does, God will give me a cut the line pass to heaven if there is such a place.

My Uncle In-Law was a pastor in the Methodist Church for 30+ years. The group his area used to manage their retirement accounts, mismanaged the funds and he was left hanging. Theres a man that served “god” for his entire career, and got bent over backwards. I guess him needing to keep working is all part of gods plan hahahaha...

Snake oil and fools gold. Theres always a catch with whatever someones selling.... and theres a lot of gullible buyers in this world.

Your first sentence, you couldn’t possibly be more wrong than that.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

No?? Well use webster and look up two words in this order, and see how they play together.

Humane
Civilized

Its basic human nature..... its when mythology gets mixed with things that confrontation begins. Hence, my statements...

So... your sentence, you couldnt be more wrong sir.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD

Originally Posted by Starman

We know all that.

You speak for all christians despite many not knowing all that.

much like your clueless comment about the Roman eagle Standard.
give good education a go before talking.

Originally Posted by RickyD

All you have to know is that Hell will be horribly hot and eternity is not one day short of forever.

Your mythology is a powerful drug, or you are just weak.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No?? Well use webster and look up two words in this order, and see how they play together.

Humane
Civilized

Its basic human nature..... its when mythology gets mixed with things that confrontation begins. Hence, my statements...

You are wrong yet again. The values that you mentioned are taught/learned values that come from a set of moral standards.

You can fit and wordsmith any combination of words that you like but you are wrong and I think you know that and are just trying to save face of which you have none concerning this.

You’re wrong, pure and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49
..... what is the “biblical standard” for being a Christian?

Now, I can easily surmise the opinion.....the opinion.... what a non-Christian would say.....
we have seen countless examples of that.....

and we have seen countless differing christian opinions.....opinions.... on the same.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Humane
Civilized

You are wrong yet again. The values that you mentioned are taught/learned values that come from a set of moral standards.

You can fit and wordsmith any combination of words that you like but you are wrong and I think you know that and are just trying to save face of which you have none concerning this.

No... im not... and Im not going to waste my time trying to educate someone who believes in mythology either.

Do pack of animals need to read a book on how to function or does it come naturally? Do cats grooming on another need to be taught that or is it a natural relationship trait? Humane and civilized are natural human traits.. always have, always will be.

No go pick up other books and read them....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
“ Natural morality describes a form of morality that is based on how humans evolved, rather than a morality acquired from societal norms or religious teachings”

“ The ability to recognize and act upon others' distress or danger, is a suggestive evidence of instinctive sympathy; common mutual services found among many social animals, such as hunting and travelling in groups, warning others of danger and mutually defending one another, are some examples of instinctive sympathy.”

“ From a naturalist point of view, it is probable that instinctive sympathy was first developed for animals to thrive by living in society just as the pleasure of eating was first acquired to induce animals to eat.[5] In this sense, morality is a crucial instinct for survival in social animals.”

“ Instinctive altruism effectively enables individuals to guarantee survival of the group, which in turn will aid survival of the individual.”

Its okay bro, your flat f’ing wrong, but its not what your cult wants you to think. Now just put your weekly contribution on the plate and come back next week.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Religion didn't create moral standards. The arrogant mis-guided religious believer thinks it did and thus commits all non-believers to being immoral. Religious wankers.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 02/20/20.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
]
Lol.. I dont need to read a book or join a team to have values or ethics, its basic human nature.

Pagans and pre-pagan man discovered such , but there was a special needs group that were so stunted,
they had to wait for the Bible.

such are the self-promoting 'show the way' types we have today.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Catholics aint Christians no how!
What about Calvinists? You know John Calvin had a learned scholar burned in Geneva for heresy. I wonder if Jesus approved? What about Jimmy Swaggart? Benny Hinn? I've been getting calls from the prophet Manaseh Jordan, anybody know him? He's going to get my money turned loose that someone is keeping from me. I like Yeshua (aka Jesus) but he is sure getting a bad name on the 24 Hour CF. I thought I was a believer in and a follower of Jesus.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
What about Calvinists? You know John Calvin had a learned scholar burned in Geneva for heresy.
I wonder if Jesus approved?.

that explains much about or CF resident Calvanists.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Certainly a younger earth than the millions and billions that evolutionists believe in. Yes I believe in the Genesis account of creation.

But the thread is to find out why some are not a Christian, not why I am, or what I believe.

Shootist,

I want to hold as many true, and as few false beliefs as possible.

Now juxtapose that against how far you religions has pushed your beliefs away from firmly established science. Heck, on the age of the universe, you are off by 6 orders of magnitude.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/20/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Humane
Civilized

No... im not... and Im not going to waste my time trying to educate someone who believes in mythology either.

Do pack of animals need to read a book on how to function or does it come naturally? Do cats grooming on another need to be taught that or is it a natural relationship trait? Humane and civilized are natural human traits.. always have, always will be.

No go pick up other books and read them....

You have no idea of what my personal beliefs are except for that concerning that you continue to be wrong and surround your pitiful argument by being verbose and nothing more.

Hollow man.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
]
Lol.. I dont need to read a book or join a team to have values or ethics, its basic human nature.

Pagans and pre-pagan man discovered such , but there was a special needs group that were so stunted,
they had to wait for the Bible.

such are the self-promoting 'show the way' types we have today.

You couldn’t find “the way “ with a map of it tattooed on the back of your hand.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
What about Calvinists? You know John Calvin had a learned scholar burned in Geneva for heresy.I wonder if Jesus approved?.
that explains much about or CF resident Calvanists.
I checked Wikipedia about this incident. He was in trouble for translating the bible from its original languages. It seems Dr. Michael Servetus was burned for disputing the Trinity and was against infant baptism. In Calvin's favor he argued that Dr. Servetus should only be beheaded instead of burned alive.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin was defending the 'Honor of God'
cause Servetuses questioned the trinity.

Then Dec. 1533, we have Etienne Le Court,
who was strangled and burned by Inquisition
for suggesting that, among other things,
‘women will preach the gospel'.

From early 4th century onwards, it became
increasingly dangerous not to be a christian
or just the wrong type of christian.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been watching this thread since it started, interesting to say the least.

I have a question, Why would a christian start a thread like this and then make fun of and fight with someone who wasn't a Christian? Does one think they can bully or smart ass comment another into being a Christian?

This is actually one of the reasons the Wife and I don't attend any church now, we got sick and tired of dealing with arrogant Christians who thought they were better and "more saved" than everyone else.

I wonder what God has to say about pushing someone away from his face?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,522
Posts18,472,608
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.