-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No question about it. Elephant Hunting!!!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Archery deer and elk > this year will be my 55 th year bowhunting !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Elk hunting on horseback at or near timberline.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calling cougars in the snow.

Second most fun for me is hunting big mulies in late season snow.

Rattling whitetails in the Canadian Rockies was stiff competition to both of the above when a grandson could join me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I love sheep hunting, but Kodiak Island deer hunts from a nice boat are what I call fun. Climb steep mountain, fantastic scenery, likely not see anybody else, can shoot multiple deer, easy to pack them out, bear factor adds excitement, back to a nice comfortable place to sleep at night. Boat adds mobility to hunt a different location every day. Awesome.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DeskJockey
I love sheep hunting, but Kodiak Island deer hunts from a nice boat are what I call fun. Climb steep mountain, fantastic scenery, likely not see anybody else, can shoot multiple deer, easy to pack them out, bear factor adds excitement, back to a nice comfortable place to sleep at night. Boat adds mobility to hunt a different location every day. Awesome.

That’s what my Father in Law always says. In about exactly that manner too. I think that’s the only thing he is interested in going back to Alaska for after 37 years there
I think he stayed in a cabin on Raspberry Island mostly

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/20/20.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DeskJockey

Yeah, that sounds perfect.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Varmints in SEA. Challenging but rewarding.

Locally I enjoy pig hunting a bit but my favorite is quail and turkey.

Dan, you crack me up. Keep on keeping on

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So far, my two favorites are Whitetail Deer and Eastern Wild Turkey.

I have both available right out my back door. Both have seasons in Kentucky that come just at the right time for me.

In Spring, I love sitting with my back to my favorite 200 yr old white oak, and laying out that first tree call and getting a comeback from a gobbler.

I do podcasts in the Spring of my turkey hunting exploits. Here's a good one from last year:
I shot Pepe LePew

Starting in August, my life becomes consumed with hunting Whitetails. I used to bow hunt, and mid-October used to be my favorite time of year, but I got a bum shoulder in 2007 and I've been gun hunting exclusively since.

There's nothing I like better than sitting up in my treestand on the Rifle Opener, seeing the light come up, and somewhere about 10 minutes into season having a 250 lb+ buck saunter by.

The Savage Speaks Again

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It has been over 20 years since I have done it, but my favorite type of hunting is rabbit hunting behind well-trained beagles on a frosty Kentucky morning. I used to spend every weekend from the weekend after Thanksgiving, and several days of Christmas break, through the end of January in pursuit of cottontails. I liked this type of hunting due to the walking and social activity of it, as well as the fact that the rabbit were plentiful and there were plenty of placed to hunt in my area, including our farm.

I enjoy all types of hunting. Each has its own merits. But the sound of beagles chasing a rabbit back toward an anxiously awaiting hunter is a thrill I do miss.

The only hunting I have done west of the Mississippi was pheasant hunting one time in Kansas when I was in high school in the mid ‘80’s. I hope to do some western antelope, elk, and mule deer hunting at some point in the future. For now, I will continue to enjoy hunting Kentucky white tails, doves, sandhill cranes, turkeys, and squirrels.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by memtb
JustinL1, That would have taken place on a cold morning, December 28th.1963. I had just recently turned 11 years old, and I was hunting Whitetails with my “one armed” grandfather (Paw Paw) that lost his lower right arm in a sawmill accident when he was in his teens. At that time, deer were almost non-existent in Louisiana. We were sitting in the top of an oak tree that had recently been cut down.

We were cold, so, we had started a small fire. It was about 8:00 in the morning, the smoke from the fire was drifting down the little “two-track” road which passed by our stand. Suddenly, my Paw Paw whispered to me, “There’s a deer boy, he’s big as a yearling”! The deer was standing in the “two-track” with a thin veil of smoke around him. The smoke may have helped cover our scent, as he was downwind from us. My Paw Paw told me to shoot, but I was petrified, as this was the first deer I’d ever seen. I insisted that he take the shot. I didn’t realize that, from his angle he had to shoot between two trees. We later found out that 8 of the nine pellets from my Paw Paw’s Model 12, 12 gauge, printed a nice tight pattern in the size of one of those trees. At the time of his shot, the deer jumped strait up....then stood for a moment at “high alert”! This is when I took my shot! I was using my Stevens 22/410 over/under, and at the shot, the deer jumped straight up, seeming to do a 180 in mid-air and vanished into the timber.

We initially thought that I had missed, but, while following tracks in the muddy ground....my Paw Paw found a bright red blood drop. We followed blood, for what seemed a long ways, once finding a large pool of blood with a track in it, on a little high spot of ground beneath an old Beech Tree. The deer went into a “low lying” (we called it the “Flats”) area, which was covered with water.....making tracking a bit difficult. My Paw Paw was leading, and suddenly shouted, “There he is boy”! The deer had crawled into the top of another recently cut tree, and had died there.

We, with help from my Dad, got the deer back to my grand parents home, where we skinned him out. From there to a local community store/butcher shop to have him cut-up. It didn’t take long before the word was out, about the kid that had killed the big deer. Local folks came to the store to see the deer and meet the kid! I quickly became a “little, local celebrity”!
The deer, was a fairly large bodied, nicely balanced, 8 point (4x4)......all of 11” wide on the inside.

My Paw Paw, lived his entire life in the backwoods of Louisiana, trapping, hunting and cutting timber to support his family. He passed away in his late 80’s......never having killed a deer!

Since then I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to take, Deer, Antelope, Elk, Moose, Bighorn Sheep, and Bear.....but, none compare to that hunt! memtb

Thank you for sharing this story. It is a good reminder that the experience of the hunt is often more meaningful than the trophy. One of my favorite hunts was two seasons ago when I got to sit next to my youngest son as he took a spike buck. It was his first deer, and he was the one who approached me about wanting to start hunting. The smile on his face was better than any trophy I have taken.

Last edited by HCDH66; 02/24/20.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustinL1
What’s your favorite hunt that you’ve been on? Also, I don’t mean because you were hunting with family or friends to make it more special- nor a hunt that you killed your biggest buck, bull, etc (both family/friends and the potential to take big trophies mean a lot, but that’s not what I’m asking here). I’m just looking for fun hunts to plan in the future, so was wondering what kind of plain old hunting gave you the most enjoyment from just the hunting aspect.

For me, the most fun hunt I’ve been on so far was a horseback elk hunt in WY, just riding around in that country was enough to keep me happy for the week I was fortunate enough to spend doing it.

I'm guilty of not reading all the posts, but without a doubt it was the time I spent hunting with my dad out of our central Pennsylvania deer camp. I didn't get a whole lot of time with dad. Sadly, he got his wings when I was 21 years old. I was able to take my first deer a few minutes before he was called home, and I think he was a lot more excited about it than I was. No matter where I roam, the hills and hollers of central Pennsylvania always beckon to me. Miss you so much Dad. We'll hunt together again soon.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Solo mountain goat.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Sitting in my deer hut with my grown daughter who still likes to be with dad. Does not get any better! Ed k

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You stipulate our favorite hunt, but not because of family or friends being with us? But that's the icing on the cake. What fun would a great hunt be if you couldn't share it with people you love? Those are the very best hunts! Those are the kind of hunts that stand out above all others. The fact that I did it with my dad, or my son, or my daughter, or my nephews, my family and/or close friends all that made it that much more worth waking up before day light and/or braving the cold and going out in search of game. The killing of game was just the gravy, and if you didn't kill anything, so what? It was a great experience made special by special company.

Anyway, even so, one of my favorite hunts happen to be with my dad and his friend. They had been palling around together that day and both knew how much I liked to go with them so they picked me up at high school that afernoon one cold grey November day when I got out at about 3:30 P.M. This was in a more innocent time and my dad and his friend, Henry, were both feeling the effects of a few drinks. In fact they had almost a full bottle bourbon with them. Back in the 60s this was fairly common and if a cop stopped you and smelled alcohol, unless you were just really messed up they usually would just tell you to be careful and don't drink too much or tell you to go home and sleep it off.

Anyway, that fact just added to the moment for a young kid going duck hunting in a November Cold spell. The wind was howling out of the North and very cold as I remember it. We drove about 12 miles South from Port Lavaca down to a little settlement South of here on the shores of Matagorda Bay named Indianola. Back in the 19th century it was one of the biggest ports on the Texas Coast until the Hurricanes of 1875 and 1886 about wiped it out. That killed Indianola as a thriving port as most everybody who survived moved inland and left a ghost town, especially the famous 1886 storm which still ranks as one of the strongest hurricanes to hit the shores along the Gulf Coast. Now days the area is a very rural fishing village and there are lots of little brackish water ponds and creeks just inland from the bay which make for lots of great waterfowl hunting.

There to this day are oil and gas company hunting leases around there and at that time back in the 60s McCullough Oil Tool Company had a lot of the place leased for hunting. Henry and my dad were both friends with the guy that managed the area for McCullough so they got permission to hunt a little salt water pond with about 200 decoys in it. This pond was about 50 yards wide by 150 yards long with a little plywood shack of a blind big enough for the three of us about thirty yards from the edge of the pond on the east side.

The way the decoys were laid out and with the pond being situated North and South, the wind was blowing down the length of the pond and the ducks were coming in over the decoys from the North making a North to South pass and then turning and landing into the wind. We were waiting patiently when a flock of canvas backs ( Canvas backs are some of the fastest flying ducks) with a 30 MPH tail wind came flying in low about 90 MPH out of the north over the decoys. It looked like they had no intention of slowing down and landing so Henry and I took a good luck shot. The only problem was they weren't on our side of the pond and were about 80 yards out from us.

Henry, who was by this time feeling no pain, said "Let's Take 'em!" and shot and missed. My dad being a bit more sober, thought rightly that they were too far out, so he held his fire. But after Henry shot, I being a relatively inexperienced kid, picked one of the last ducks in the flock, which was a big Canvas Back Drake, and shot about the time my dad was just beginning to tell me they were too far out. I think I led him every bit of 5 feet. To my amazement the big Drake cartwheeled and hit the water hard. My dad was in disbelief. That duck was every bit of 80 yards out from the blind. Of course that was before lead shot was illegal for Federal Waterfowl and lead carries better for longer shots. But still, that was a long way for a 12 gauge 2 3/4" Chambered shotgun with a modified choke no less to knock down a duck.

To this day, I really believe that duck was just flying so fast with that wind to his back at that range the fact that the shot had no doubt lost so much of its velocity, that it was more a fact that the duck hit the shot string so hard rather than the shot hitting the duck, that broke its wing and knocked it out of the sky. Until the day he died, my dad always talked about that shot and marveled at the fact that I killed that duck at that range. However, in my heart, I know that it was the luckiest shot I ever made. Probably the luckiest shot anybody ever made.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/26/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Filaman,

I didn’t ask the question in the manner I did to minimize the importance of family or friends in hunting- I just wanted to get an idea of what hunting is the most enjoyable to people responding because of the hunts, not the companions that were along on the adventure. I love to get out in the woods every year and hunt just like my dad and I did when I was 12, but I wanted to see what else was out there besides the deer, squirrel, etc. that I hunt not only for fun, but tradition and remembering times past. I hope I explained myself without seeming harsh or insensitive.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JustinL1
Filaman,

I didn’t ask the question in the manner I did to minimize the importance of family or friends in hunting- I just wanted to get an idea of what hunting is the most enjoyable to people responding because of the hunts, not the companions that were along on the adventure. I love to get out in the woods every year and hunt just like my dad and I did when I was 12, but I wanted to see what else was out there besides the deer, squirrel, etc. that I hunt not only for fun, but tradition and remembering times past. I hope I explained myself without seeming harsh or insensitive.

No man, it's all good. And thanks for your explanation. I guess I've just had some really special times with family through the years. But I get you. Anyway, my example of my favorite hunt or I guess I'd have to call it one of my most memorable hunting experiences, reflects just how much enjoyment I got from hunting water fowl. I've had my times in deer camps too and really love it all.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Slider1
No question about it. Elephant Hunting!!!

OK so you must be an elephant hunter. Can you tell me why elephants paint their toenails red?

That's so easy, So they can hide in the strawberry patch.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/26/20.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Deer, I enjoy the solitude of archery the most but the oldest bbn I get the more I enjoy a family member or friend in a stand not to far away in another stand.

Rifle season for me is spent trying to get other people on deer.

I had a great time in Montana elk hunting back in 2017, would love to go back but will wait til my son graduates high school so I dont miss any football games.

Hunt...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do like a good tree rat stalk for sure! I am trying to put together a Auodad or mule deer trip, maybe even a pronghorn something spot and stalkish. Treestand hunting had become very drab and painful for me, cold feet or skeeters aint cutting it no mo for me.

Dont eat the big white mint!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.