Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
We are so privileged to have many, many cartridges to choose from, those from antiquity to the ultra modern.

IMO there are 2 cartridges that certainly qualify as "Most American Cartridges".

1. the 30-30 Win. It's not a fav of mine but I recognize it's history and qualifications.

2. the 30-06 is in MY opinion the MOST American Cartridge we have.

I'm not dismissing the 270, 250-3000, 300 Savage, et.al., et.al.
The 06 deserves high esteem for its Military beginning and usage PLUS it's hunting heritage.

I don't count ANY of the foreign cartridges > they don't have American ROOTS!

What do you think would be The Most American cartridge.

Jerry

jwall:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well, warm and dry on this second last Saturday of February.

While it's most likely breaking several written and unwritten 'Fire rules, I have indeed read all the posts in this thread and have what I believe is a slightly different take on a few of the origins of the cartridges mentioned. Please understand as well that I'm not a professional historian, more like a serious student of it and all things arms related along with that.

Great Britain adopted the .303 British in 1888 and since they were at that time the "empire whereupon the sun did not set" they got to use it in many far flung corners of the globe. As was common practice in those times, US military observers were present at a few of the dust ups, went home and made reports on same and that gave input into the US developing a repeating rifle for it's military.

One doesn't have to look very long at a .30-40 Krag cartridge beside a .303 British to see the lineage - or at very least admit the similarity.

Of special note I would say would be the Spanish American war of 1898 and the Boer Wars beginning in 1899 where both armies found the rimmed cases of the .30-40 Krag - for the US troops that had one and still didn't have a .45-70 Springfield - and the .303 British came up lacking when compared to the 7x57 Mauser cartridge which the Spanish and Boers used in 1895 Mausers with deadly effect.

The British were in the throws of developing their own 7mm cartridge with a more Mauser than not Enfield rifle and the US lengthened and blew out the 7x57 in order to keep the same diameter bullet as the .30-40 had, but in the 1903 Springfield which again was Mauser if you said it fast, more or less... wink

When WW1 broke out the British abandoned the experimental cartridge and eventually the Enfield Pattern 14 as well, but the US of course had the powerful, albeit a bit long .30-06 up and running and the rest is history.

Therefore - I'd say that to answer your question, I'd likely nominate either of the .45 military rounds - .45-70/.45 LC as most American martial round or as Brad noted the .270 Winchester for a sporting round as it wasn't really something seen elsewhere.

As always, it's just a few random thoughts from a Canuck and nothing more sir, but thanks for generating some interesting opinions on this thread.

All the best to you and yours as the days get longer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by lapua6547
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Yeah puah, the 06's little sister. blush whistle

I rate the 06 higher because it's NEARLY twice its age.

Jerry

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/308-win-vs-30-06/

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
30-06

Pros:

Can use heavier bullets
Velocity is slightly higher due to more powder capacity
Many reloading options with larger shell casing and wider range of bullet weights

Cons:

Needs a long action rifle
Rifles are slightly heavier
Fewer options in semi-auto rifles
Less accurate at longer ranges
Ammunition is more expensive
Costs more to reload

Pros:

Fits in short action rifles
Rifles can be made lighter due to shorter cartridge length
There are many more options in semi-auto rifles chambered in .308
Slightly more accurate at long ranges
Factory ammunition is less expensive
Cheaper to reload

Cons:

Cannot use heavier bullets
Lower powder capacity

Conclusion:

The argument of the .308 vs .30-06 has been raging for decades and is still a hot topic on some shooting and hunting forums. For the most part, it’s guys and gals just sticking up for their cartridge of choice. The reality is, when looking at factory loads of the two cartridges, is that they are much more similar than they are different. From our research, there is nothing that jumps out at us to choose one of the other. And you know what the greatest part of all of it is?

You can have both.

If you have to decide between the two, so be it, but if you can, get some experience with both. They are great cartridges, and there is a reason they have been a mainstay in the shooting and hunting world for decades with no end in sight.

Last edited by lapua6547; 02/22/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define "The Most American Cartridge".

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
30-06

IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Afternoon Dwayne.

Thanks for your post and qualifiers.

In the op which you quoted I said we are privileged to have MANY cartridges that are particular to America.

I chose and said, IMO, the 30-06 is the most American IN RELATIONSHIP to it use over the years in BOTH W Ws
and Korea. AND on top of all that it became not only an American hunting cartridge but is/has been hunted around the world.

Later someone mentioned the 45 Colt that I had not thot of and it certainly deserves consideration.

As I closed the OP I also said, "What do you think would be the Most American Cartridge?"
There really is NO wrong answer, but IMO some suggestions range far from the original idea.

All of us are entitled to our OWN opinion.
Thanks again and I hope you and we all have a GREAT year playing & hunting with our CHOICE of weapons.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lapua6547
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I read your longer answer & reasons.

Since there is NO wrong answer, you’re good.

ATST, I like my answer better. LOL. LOL

Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Yea edited to add 44 colt right after the original post. My understanding is that once you got a couple models of Winchesters using centerfire cartridges, conversion to Henry rimfire tailed off significantly.

Overall, the prevalence of shootists relying on pistols -- or at least the ones we imagine -- is somewhat overblown. Most towns had anti-carry ordinances, so bull dogs. belly guns, etc, were more common. Cowhands often weren't allowed to wear guns on the trail (stampede risk). Metallic cartridges were expensive; no one practiced; most weren't great shots (exceptions: Hardin, Hickok, etc.) and preferred long guns if possible.

Elmer Keith verifies everything you said in Sixguns by Keith.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I didn't know Keith had a six gun book, but it just got ordered on Amazon. Thanks for the heads up. I teach a class about the western frontier on film, so we talk a lot about fact vs. fiction vs. myth in the Old West.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
I didn't know Keith had a six gun book, but it just got ordered on Amazon. Thanks for the heads up. I teach a class about the western frontier on film, so we talk a lot about fact vs. fiction vs. myth in the Old West.

It's a good book. You'll like it. He clears up a lot of misconceptions.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Hands down it is the 30-06. Our great American military used it to defeat evil around the world and then came home to hunt every critter in North America with it. If fed it the right bullet and load it handedly kills deer and every thing else in between including the big bears of Alaska.

It's case spawned many other cartridges, from the 25-06 Remington, .270 Win., 280 Rem., .338-06, .35 Whelen up to the .400 Whelen and their improved versions. It is and will always be a good choice for any riflemen and the super bullets we now have made it even better.

If I ever have only one centerfire big game rifle it will be chambered for the great 30-06!

And yet, it remains the offspring of the equally great and equally as historic 8 X 57 as is any cartridge derived from the '06.

Since we are a nation of immigrants, this only stands to reason.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jwall;
Good evening to you sir, thanks for the reply and further thoughts on the matter, I appreciate both for sure.

Honestly when answering I was being a tad on the side of devil's advocate as for years I personally hunted with an '06 so am fully aware of it's capabilities as a hunting round. Here in BC, I've taken black bear, sheep, mulie and whitetail bucks with it as well as helped cut and wrap moose who died in front of an '06. In Africa I was witness to game as large as a decent cape buffalo bull and a good sized zebra stallion taken with a single .30-06 round each too.

I'd also opine that if one was going to travel the backwaters of the world, one would be able to scrounge up ammo for a .30-06 in a sporting goods store or outfitter's tool box more than any other given round.

Truly local favorites might be in the backwater stores too, so when I was a kid in very rural Saskatchewan one would find .30-30, .303 British and .30-06 - as well as Imperial branded .22 rimfire if they had any ammo for sale at all.

When in Kenya in 1975, the chap we were visiting used a .30-06 for most hunting and shot his .458 less both because of the cost and availability of good ammo - which had to be factory ammo then by the way.

Anyway that's just a couple examples from a Canuck who paid attention to such things since I was able to read. Funny how we don't always change that much over half a century is it not?

Thanks again for the thread and all the best to you folks once again sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5thShock

^^^^^^^^ is on P 11

I’m wondering now how many times you’ve entered. ??

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Hands down it is the 30-06. Our great American military used it to defeat evil around the world and then came home to hunt every critter in North America with it. If fed it the right bullet and load it handedly kills deer and every thing else in between including the big bears of Alaska.

It's case spawned many other cartridges, from the 25-06 Remington, .270 Win., 280 Rem., .338-06, .35 Whelen up to the .400 Whelen and their improved versions. It is and will always be a good choice for any riflemen and the super bullets we now have made it even better.

If I ever have only one centerfire big game rifle it will be chambered for the great 30-06!

And yet, it remains the offspring of the equally great and equally as historic 8 X 57 as is any cartridge derived from the '06.

You know sharps that you CAN make 8X57 cases from 06

You CAN NOT make an 06 case from 8X57.

Think about it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Really !, I'd never have guessed ! LOL

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes sir, I am fully aware of that and it holds no significance for me. What'd I do...get my mind in front of my fingers again and get it backwards? One of them is slowing down, maybe/probably both!

Last edited by sharps4590; 02/23/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Rifle: 30-06 or 308
Pistol: 45acp
All around: 22lr

GOD Bless America
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Quak
Rifle: 30-06 or 308
Pistol: 45acp
All around: 22lr

excellent answer ! AGREE X2

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.