Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I mentioned a few days back that I was concerned about my daughter. She is not under a court order to have a device installed, but I want to get one installed. I have done a little reading on line and don't have a good feel for them. All I need it to do is prevent the car from starting if she has alcohol in her blood.

Any idea on the cost of the device and installation?

What are the maintenance costs?

How long do they last?

Are they prone to errors that would cause the car not to start?

Any other information?

I will find a shop and chat with them about it, but thought I'd pick your brain here first so that I can have a somewhat educated discussion with the shop.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/21/20.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If she's that much of a liability, I would be pulling several fuses(fuel pump) and she would be taking her Chevrolegs everywhere.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
If she's that much of a liability, I would be pulling several fuses(fuel pump) and she would be taking her Chevrolegs everywhere.

She's 33 years old, married and lives in a different city. She suffers from depression. Most of the time she is good and would happily consent to having the device installed because she knows she is prone to drink during a deeply depressive episode.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here they run about $100-125 a month. The company owns the machine and you pay the monthly service charge and a calibration charge every so often that’s about another hundred or so . They’re pretty sensitive to certain things that will put alcohol on your breath, energy drinks as one example. If someone takes a drink of one and then blows in the next minute or so it’ll be high but back to normal in a few minute so you want to make sure that it’s set up to retest in so many minute. I don’t know if they’re in your area but I recommend smart start to clients that need one, their a little higher cost but are good about getting you the logs quickly and seem to have better service/less trouble with their machines.

One of the other things that may work in your scenario is that most of them have a camera so you can see whose testing and a gps so you can see location.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A friend last year went into court ordered rehab and they put this device on his truck.

It cost him up front about 500.00 and about 100.00 a month after.

He got a text/phone call and had a limited amount of time to blow the device or else the cops put a warrant out for him.

Might get a hold of the probation folks in your area and ask about the product and company that does their vehicles.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

She's 33 years old, married and lives in a different city. She suffers from depression. Most of the time she is good and would happily consent to having the device installed because she knows she is prone to drink during a deeply depressive episode.

Sorry you're having to deal with it, hope she gets it under control. Depression is no joke with or without drugs or alcohol.
Best of luck to you both.
Sorry, no help on the device.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last I knew they could be bypassed if a sober person blew through the tube. Yes, they work as designed and they are expensive. But, it appears they can be bypassed. That is a question you need to ask anyone who would install the device.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I mentioned a few days back that I was concerned about my daughter. She is not under a court order to have a device installed, but I want to get one installed. I have done a little reading on line and don't have a good feel for them. All I need it to do is prevent the car from starting if she has alcohol in her blood.

How long do they last?

Any other information?

I will find a shop and chat with them about it, but thought I'd pick your brain here first so that I can have a somewhat educated discussion with the shop.

Paul, my neighbor’s son is quite a rounder and had to have one installed on his truck. I think it’s about 200$/month and requires periodic downloads which are reported to the state, failure to blow during mandatory “beep” time frame counts against the driver and several of these causes a total lockout. Just info there and not your present situation, I know.

The place is located in Baton Rouge and I’ll try and find it for you.

I’m sure they’re some in the Nola, Metairie area and would bet a local cop would know.

Not much help here. Good luck buddy and hope things change for her and you.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are you able to get her some professional help?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

How long do they last?

Any other information?

Paul, my neighbor’s son is quite a rounder and had to have one installed on his truck. I think it’s about 200$/month and requires periodic downloads which are reported to the state, failure to blow during mandatory “beep” time frame counts against the driver and several of these causes a total lockout. Just info there and not your present situation, I know.

The place is located in Baton Rouge and I’ll try and find it for you.

I’m sure they’re some in the Nola, Metairie area and would bet a local cop would know.

Not much help here. Good luck buddy and hope things change for her and you.

Intoxalock in Baton Rouge
Smart Start in Gonzales

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Since she wouldn't be under a court order or under parole supervision etc, id ask if it could be programmed to simply not start if alcohol is detected, not the lockout after so many fails etc that others mentioned, which I believe requires the vehicle to be towed in to reset. Simply not starting if she was drinking would seem to suffice in this situation Also not being under supervision she may not be required to take it in monthly or whatever for data download or whatever they do. Just another thing to inquire about

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sure hate to hear that, Paul.

That she turns to alcohol while depressed sure isn't gonna help.

She have kids? Any support from her husband?

Wish I could say I saw an interlock device as being anything other than a band aid on a severe cut... but I don't.

If I could help in any way, let me know.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
where's flave when ya need 'im

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The blow n go devices installed here randomly force you to
Blow to keep going.

If you don't, the car stops.

That keeps them from getting A blow job from a stranger!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Well, that sucks!

grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
A friend last year went into court ordered rehab and they put this device on his truck.

It cost him up front about 500.00 and about 100.00 a month after.

He got a text/phone call and had a limited amount of time to blow the device or else the cops put a warrant out for him.

Might get a hold of the probation folks in your area and ask about the product and company that does their vehicles.

That sounds like a higher level of service than Paul is looking for. Texts and checks and downloads....
Other than Install and perhaps periodic calibration I wouldn't think any other costs would apply to a voluntary install...
You could call the local department and ask about firms that install.
I imagine they would happily answer your questions..particularly given your reasoning.
As a stupid kid, we established (through multiple calls) that it was legal to walk around town buck neked with a loaded shotgun, as long as you unloaded it to cross the street....
One of the down sides of being a public servant is that you have to answer questions from the public...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Blow to keep going.

In Virginia the systems also require a camera to prevent someone other than the intended driver, from giving a sample.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Are you able to get her some professional help?

She went to inpatient rehab about 2 years ago and did well for a while. She has relapsed. I am at a loss as to what to do. This is really tearing me up. She's a sweet, funny, bright, beautiful young woman.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Blow to keep going.

It won’t stop the vehicle for safety reasons but once you cut it off it won’t restart and will require a technician or a tow.

Neighbor’s son left his truck running for 3 days.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Since she wouldn't be under a court order or under parole supervision etc, id ask if it could be programmed to simply not start if alcohol is detected, not the lockout after so many fails etc that others mentioned, which I believe requires the vehicle to be towed in to reset. Simply not starting if she was drinking would seem to suffice in this situation Also not being under supervision she may not be required to take it in monthly or whatever for data download or whatever they do. Just another thing to inquire about

That's exactly what I am looking for. I don't need reports of any sort. I just need the car not to start if it detects alcohol on her breath.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.