Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Maybe I never heard the term because the people I know had been raised in their respective religions and been believers from birth. Thus they never discussed the born again phenomenon.

Even babtism which occurs at about age 16 or so (old enough to make an informed decision) was always considered more of a confirmation than a rebirth.

Baptism makes one a Church member. To be born again, one must repent of the sin of unbelief and be saved by the grace of God. Baptism comes after salvation.

So you made my point. Those who never suffered unbelief, are never "reborn".

The scripture says "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God".

I am pretty sure I wrote nothing contrary to that. Belief has never prevented sin.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Maybe I never heard the term because the people I know had been raised in their respective religions and been believers from birth. Thus they never discussed the born again phenomenon.

Even babtism which occurs at about age 16 or so (old enough to make an informed decision) was always considered more of a confirmation than a rebirth.

Baptism makes one a Church member. To be born again, one must repent of the sin of unbelief and be saved by the grace of God. Baptism comes after salvation.

I am pretty sure I wrote nothing contrary to that. Belief has never prevented sin.

I agree. I believe the sin of unbelief is the one that sends you to hell. I did not mean to sound as if I was disputing what you said. Sorry if it seemed that way.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/20/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
...........................................to many it means, Hey, I've just discovered a way to sell a line of BS and rip the weak out of a chit-ton of money!

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
We all have the first birth of the fleshly body.

Some get reborn by becoming born of the spirit which never dies but is everlasting life.

All die, but some die to the flesh and body on earth and become born of the everlasting spirit and will spend eternity with HIM in heaven by being forgiven of their sins.

All must die, but some may die of the flesh and be saved from that physical death if they are around at HIS return.,

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I

I agree. I believe the sin of unbelief is the one that sends you to hell. I did not mean to sound as if I was disputing what you said. Sorry if it seemed that way.

That's cool. I did not mean to sound snippy. Just looking for education.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Prophets have been telling us for nearly 4000 years " The end is nigh".

Pretty stupid when HE said HE went to make a place for us and HE took 6 days to get HIS previous work done building things down here.

Well, now it has been 2000 years from Adam and Eve to Abraham and then 2000 more years until Jesus Christ.
Now we know the king who tried to kill the new born Jesus and when he reigned. We just dont know when Jesus was born in his reign, but we know another 2000 years will be up somewhere between 2016 and 2027.

If HE gets HIS present job done by 6000 years then HE is due to return at any moment. As a scripture in Psalms said something about HIM returning with the lastTrump, I hope and pray we are ready, IS.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

That's cool. I did not mean to sound snippy. Just looking for education.

Me too.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bannination
Originally Posted by 700LH
I can no way begin to explain it but if you've been there you'll never forget it.
Your so filled with joy it is unbelievable and undeniable that it came from a higher power.

... can't be explained because its nonsensical.

You may mean illogical or irrational, but you certainly don't mean nonsensical. The very experience he is describing is by definition sensory.

Given that correction:
Is a sensory experience that is not logical actually and always illogical?
Is a sensory experience that is not rational actually and always irrational?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Your hear that in the Baptist Church, not so much in the Methodist church!

Last edited by hanco; 02/21/20.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
...........................................to many it means, Hey, I've just discovered a way to sell a line of BS and rip the weak out of a chit-ton of money!

That’s an unfortunate abuse for sure. Like many truths, there are evil people who will misuse it to their own gain, but that misuse of truth doesn’t make it any less true.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you have been born again in Christ, you will understand well. Otherwise, it will likely remain a mystery.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If you have been born again in Christ, you will understand well. Otherwise, it will likely remain a mystery.

This.^^^

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by efw

That’s an unfortunate abuse for sure. Like many truths, there are evil people who will misuse it to their own gain, but that misuse of truth doesn’t make it any less true.

IMO, were it an absolute truth, far fewer could take advantage. As it stands, it's the belief or unknown that allows them to reap from the gullible.

To the OP, I feel the term is often denominational. I was raised in a southern baptist church and rarely heard a sermon that "born again" wasn't used.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have spent 63 years of my life surrounded by deeply religious people of the Christian Faith. I attended Sabbath School until I was 25 years old. I have taken Bible Studies from a couple of denominations, and taken History of the Old Testament class in College. But I have never heard a person use this "Born Again" term until I listened to TV evangelists. I have never heard it from my family, or from my Morman friends, or Lutheran friends, or from members of "The Brethren".

So what is the deal? Was the term recently invented just for TV Evangelism?

John 3:1-21 English Standard Version (ESV)
You Must Be Born Again
3 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus[a] by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again[b] he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.[c] 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You[d] must be born again.’ 8 The wind[e] blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

9 Nicodemus said to him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you[f] do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man.[g] 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.[h]

For God So Loved the World
16 “For God so loved the world,[i] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Either you know or you don’t. If you have doubts, you don’t!!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1Corinthians 2:14 - But the person who is not a Christian does not understand these words from the Holy Spirit. He thinks they are foolish. He cannot understand them because he does not have the Holy Spirit to help him understand. (NLV)

Disclaimer: Not my words...

Last edited by Spud; 02/21/20.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have spent 63 years of my life surrounded by deeply religious people of the Christian Faith. I attended Sabbath School until I was 25 years old. I have taken Bible Studies from a couple of denominations, and taken History of the Old Testament class in College. But I have never heard a person use this "Born Again" term until I listened to TV evangelists. I have never heard it from my family, or from my Morman friends, or Lutheran friends, or from members of "The Brethren".

THAT shows you & anyone reading this how MANY Denominations of “Christianity”
are NOT Christians. Not being critical, seriously. Read the next quote.

Originally Posted by rainshadow1
John 3:1-24 is a conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus (includes John3:16.) Jesus came up with the phrase, not the American 70's!

Verse 7, Jesus said, “ Ye must be born again”

+/- 2000 years ago. Don’t believe me. Believe Jesus.

Last edited by jwall; 02/22/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jwall

THAT show you & anyone reading this how MANY Denominations of “Christianity”
are NOT Christians. Not being critical, seriously. Read the next quote.

Originally Posted by rainshadow1
John 3:1-24 is a conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus (includes John3:16.) Jesus came up with the phrase, not the American 70's!

Verse 7, Jesus said, “ Ye must be born again”

+/- 2000 years ago. Don’t believe me. Believe Jesus.

So you are saying that one who was brought up in the faith and never suffered from disbelief can not be saved?

If God has been in one's heart through out conscious memory, how can one experience this momentous instant of acceptance which is described as being born again?

No, I do not think I know any converts. They all were born and raised in their faith.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Spud
1Corinthians 2:14 - But the person who is not a Christian does not understand these words from the Holy Spirit. He thinks they are foolish. He cannot understand them because he does not have the Holy Spirit to help him understand. (NLV)

. .

That’s why some CANT understand. Paul said it, I didn’t.
The scriptures says it ....God said it.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Spud

. .

That’s why some CANT understand. Paul said it, I didn’t.
The scriptures says it ....God said it.

Yep

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (257 mag, 160user, 2alphas2, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 26 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,402
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.