Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by rem141r
not to be a cynic, but i will anyway, about all folks i've know who claim to be "born again" were rotten bastards before they "saw the light"

AKA pricks.

Dang man ya got a witness here.

The words “conversion” and “regeneration” are part and parcel to “born again” and I can say with absolute certainty that, by the grace of an unimaginably faithful God it’s as REAL as anything you can touch taste or see.

I am not the man I was when I first vent the knee before my Lord and by His continued grace poured out by ordinary means I won’t be the same the day I die as I am today.

Prick was an understatement.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just a ploy to present at your parole board hearing.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I went hunting today with a 74 year old AM graduate buddy who is an unbeliever and doesnt go to church and never studied theology.

I asked him if he's ever heard a person has to be reborn or be born again to go to Heaven. His answer was , "Oh yes, many times".

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/22/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The reaction of some to the term “born again” and the parable of the prodigal son strike me as related.

The older brother in that story bears a presumption that he has earned his place in the household and is therefore owed something greater than the prodigal. When his brother returns, instead of rejoicing over the return of one who was lost, he is jealous of his fathers celebration.

The cynicism over those whose life is turned due to God’s grace is likely a lack of understanding of the depth of sin on the part of EVERYONE, even those who are, compared to other men on a human scale, “ok” and therefore the amount of grace God has bestowed upon them as well as those they see as “worse”.

The fact is we have all sinner and fallen short of the glory of God. None seek God, all have turned to their own way. God has bestowed grace immeasurable upon all even tho we’d like to think ourselves less in need and more able to help ourselves than others.

One must be born again because we are ALL born into death and condemnation the first time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I have been seeing of late (last 2 years) a bumper sticker that reads "BORN OK THE FIRST TIME"!
I "heard" that this is a refutation of Christianity and the owners of those bumper stickers are atheist's.
Not everyone is "born again" in the sense that most of us think of. If you read any lives of saints you'll find a large number of them were raised in devotion and never had a need to experience conversion.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I have been seeing of late (last 2 years) a bumper sticker that reads "BORN OK THE FIRST TIME"!
I "heard" that this is a refutation of Christianity and the owners of those bumper stickers are atheist's.
Not everyone is "born again" in the sense that most of us think of. If you read any lives of saints you'll find a large number of them were raised in devotion and never had a need to experience conversion.
Were they not born into a sinful nature, as Christian theology teaches that we ‘all’ are...? Were these “saints” exceptions to that...?
Serious questions.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I think the key phrase here is “...in the sense that most of us think of.”

Everyone must be born again; and every one must be converted.

The issue here is that in our (revivalist, experiential, individualistic) culture the phrase that is the subject of this thread has a connotation not necessarily biblical.

Fact is, and I think this is what you may have been getting at, being born again may not be a loud thing that one can point to, but a quiet and drawn out experience that lasts for many years in a “boring” and predictable way.

Be that as it may, it’s still born again.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I

And this was my point from the beginning. I know many people who have never been apart from their faith. Thus they never experience a "moment of acceptance" or "conversion" or being "born again".

According to many posting on this thread, those people are doomed to Hell.

Not to say these people do not sin, any more than any "Born Again Christian" can claim to be sin free.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am not going to think, or say anything about being condemned to hell, or judge, that is not for me to do. We all know Who does that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Were they not born into a sinful nature, as Christian theology teaches that we ‘all’ are...? Were these “saints” exceptions to that...?
Serious questions.
Everyone sins at one time or another. But it is a matter of degree. Some people REALLY ARE better than others. But that's getting off in the weeds from the real issue.

What is popularly defined as being "born again" is really just the realization that Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life and the acceptance of that reality. When this reality hits, it can't help but be accompanied by repentance. There are people who never go through that. They were baptized and raised in faith and they, seemingly naturally, are repentant and faithful from the earliest of ages. From the time they were toddlers even.

That is why you don't hear the Catholic Church speak about being "born again" in the same sense a Baptist would. That's not to say there isn't a tremendous outpouring of grace when someone "comes to Jesus". The more informed can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the Catholic Church associates that outpouring of grace more with the act, the sacrament of confession that is a part of that in the Catholic tradition. For instance, St. Dismas, the repentant thief, received such an outpouring of grace when he confessed his sins to Jesus on the cross that he went to Heaven that day. (He also received a "baptism of desire" with that act. Specifically "Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom.")

I believe that what enabled so many of the saints to live lives of holiness from the earliest times of childhood is the fact that they were baptized. The sacrament of baptism confers the spirit and therefore is "a baptism of water and spirit". Baptism is the Catholic "born again". Remember the definition of a sacrament - "An outward sign of an inward reality, instituted by Christ to give grace". Grace is the reception of The Spirit.

I'll avoid all the intricacies of what happens when someone decides to come to Jesus, but gets killed in an accident before they make it to confession or even baptism. We all know it's going to be OK for that person. smile

And let's not confuse this with the Pentecostal baptism of spirit. CMIIW on this, it is generally something that happens after one has been "born again" although they *can* happen at the same time.

Is that rambling enough for you? laugh Sometimes it's tough straining those gnats. laugh

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

And this was my point from the beginning. I know many people who have never been apart from their faith. Thus they never experience a "moment of acceptance" or "conversion" or being "born again".

Not to say these people do not sin, any more than any "Born Again Christian" can claim to be sin free.

I think I explained this in my post above yours.

Tyrone did a good job too; within different faith traditions this is “translated” different ways. American Evangelicalism has deciphered it as monolithic but it’s not.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The sailor that wrote this song must have been 'Born Again". [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I can't verify what I'm 'fixin' to say.

I've read that Amazing Grace was written on a Slave ship during a terrible storm at sea. I don't remember if it was a ship operator or slave.

I doubt the future cotton pickers/choppers were well versed in English or the Scripture on their trip over.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/23/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Even John Newton was before my time Doc, I should check with kaywoody though, my memory tis not what it used

to be. laugh

The old sailor put some lasting words to an old tune. Even as an instrumental it's one of the most recognizable hymns ever.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Believe the Good News, confess and repent and you are saved, whether you have HIM to help you believe by coming into your heart or not. If you believe on HIM, you are not rejecting the spirit for the flesh and as such are of the spirit and as such are reborn, or IOW, born of the spirit.

Many are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many work for it or win the lottery. Either way they become rich. Same with being a Christian. Gifted with believe by upbringing or smitten on the road to Damascus.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/23/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Reverend Billy Graham used this song in his ministry, it tells a great Story.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Believe the Good News, confess and repent and you are saved, whether you have HIM to help you believe by coming into your heart or not. If you believe on HIM, you are not rejecting the spirit for the flesh and as such are of the spirit and as such are reborn, or IOW, born of the spirit.

Many are born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many work for it or win the lottery. Either way they become rich. Same with being a Christian. Gifted with believe by upbringing or smitten on the road to Damascus.
I think that's a very good way to put it.
And much simpler! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“Consider now, a person who thinks he has years left and is taken out by a drunk driver, a heart attack or any other freak accident. He must stand in judgment with his sins not covered by the Blood of the Atonement.” - Mickey Coleman

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
...... I have never heard a person use this "Born Again" term until I listened to TV evangelists.
I have never heard it from my family, or from my Morman friends, or Lutheran friends, or from members
of "The Brethren".

THAT shows you & anyone reading this how MANY Denominations of “Christianity”
are NOT Christians. Not being critical, seriously.

John 3:7, Jesus said, “ Ye must be born again”

Theres like near 25 english versions of Bible that do not use precise words 'born again'
in translation of Greek: ( ἄνωθεν) anōthen

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/3-7.htm

https://biblehub.com/greek/509.htm

how do you know all those that only read such examples of Bible are not christians?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
What would an atheist know about being born again? Really, please tell us.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prove your claim I am atheist

and passing blind comment on posts you have on ignore?

Folks interested in rational understanding of language translation can read up
- be educated (by the links provided).

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.