Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

wanna know how many years I drove a UPS truck with a stick.......?

Then my final truck when I retired was an auto with a Mercedes diesel......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A modern twin clutch automatic is ten times more capable than any manual transmission. The car will be faster, get better mileage, will always be in exactly the right gear and, if desired, it can be shifted manually with immediate effect. I replaced my speed manual Porsche for their PDK automatic. Night and day. Precisely why the C8 Corvette now comes with one. That said I still have one manual, a Tremec 5 speed in my 73 Mach 1.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I drove a manual for years and years, then, as I got older, the knees I put in the breeze in my Army paratrooper days decided they didn't like a clutch any more.

I have learned to appreciate the automatic transmission.

I loved driving a "clutch", but when the knees want to quit, it takes the fun out of it. Heavy traffic takes the fun out of it, too. There are a trainload of stop lights in my world, too, that also saps the fun out of it. Nope, I like my automatics now.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i used to only buy sticks for my commuters. but after changing jobs where i drive in bumper to bumper traffic, i bought my first auto car in 2016. doubt i'll buy another stick. hard to find in new cars anymore and i think dodge is the only one who offers it in trucks.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
A modern twin clutch automatic is ten times more capable than any manual transmission. The car will be faster, get better mileage, will always be in exactly the right gear and, if desired, it can be shifted manually with immediate effect..

Say, you don’t happen to be an engineer, are you?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rustyzipper
A doudle clutch is when you screw up the heel and toe and knock all the teeth off.
You realize I am on a phone? Fat fingers

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If they decide to subsidize the piss out of manny trannys, Id bet a quick reversal (pun) would be in order.

Drove a work truck a couple hundred miles back into the shop with no air brakes.

Have fun trying that with a dead battery or an automatic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM
A modern twin clutch automatic is ten times more capable than any manual transmission. The car will be faster, get better mileage, will always be in exactly the right gear and, if desired, it can be shifted manually with immediate effect..

I'm a guy who gets paid to climb on rocks, and is otherwise a carpenter who became a real estate developer who plays the stock market. But I drove a Porsche Taycan and can concur that the double clutch PDK transmission is far better than any manual out there.

But I also know that the best transmission is no transmission, and wheel motors will eventually win over all. Drive a Tesla and you'll know.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

Nah, just an enthusiast. I quit engineering at year three of a thirty year career. Seemed odd at the time but here I sit... grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never had anything else.

My ‘09 Corolla however has an electric gas pedal and the computer between your foot and the motor seems to take the feel away, easy to stall out rolling out in first also.

Now that they’ve gone and put a computer in the gas pedal there’s no point in a manual transmission anymore 😕

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Probably half the vehicles I've owned have been standards, but never thought there was anything special about it. As a young guy it was kinda fun sometimes, but really I don't care if I ever drive another. Automatic transmissions have come a long way, and most people are better off with one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
83 CJ7 this past fall Straight 6 / 4 speed Manuel
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Some automatics must be better than others, or maybe one needs to learn how to drive with one.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, one needs to learn how to just sit back and let the computer do it all. Won't be long until all the controls will be superfluous. Hell, we even need the computer to run the damn headlights and wipers.
There is little question that some automatics do a much better job of mimicking a well-run manual than others but most they, like the electronic throttle controllers, simply distance the operator from the control of the vehicle. In learning how to best utilize the performance of the modern vehicle, part of the equation is learning to deal with the perceptible lagtime between input and response. As I get older, perhaps my declining response time will compensate and I will learn to love having things done for me, slowly. GD

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 2,000 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,848
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.