Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

JG,
Lot of folks know more about optics than I do, but the between the internet and the Swaro tech I spoke to I have to go with the mystical swaro guy. Everything I have listened to says coatings are part of the equation with field flattening.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Got any links to those internet articles backing up your claim?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Lens coatings have nothing to do with whether or not an optic has field flattening technology, zero.

Correct. It's the glass grind.

Brad, JG, FTR,
No it is not exclusively glass. I had this conversation with Swaro a few years ago when I mentioned field flattening lens, and it was politely explained to me lens coatings are part of the equation. Although I was wrong to omit lenses are part it too.

Hi Casey, it's the shape of the lens, or glass "grind". Coatings have essentially nothing to do with it. IIRC, they're using a type of aspheric lens for Swarovision(?).

Also, I think you're misunderstanding what "Rolling Ball" is (it's actually called "Globe Effect). I think based on your comments perhaps you're mistaking "Pincushion Distortion" for Globe Effect. As I understand it, Swarovison's lens is designed to eliminate most of the Pincushion Distortion commonly found in normal binoculars in order to achieve a flatter, sharper edge-to-edge field. The result from this optical choice is Globe Effect.

A good read on "Globe Effect" (aka rolling ball): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_effect

Types of distortion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_(optics)

Regardless, it's even on the Swarovski Website:

"The SWAROVISION technology redefined the concept of optical quality. Field Flattener LENSES provide unprecedented peripheral definition, fluoride-containing HD lenses minimize color fringing, while optimized coatings ensure maximum color fidelity. Large eye relief offering a full field of view for those wearing eye glasses."

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/about_swarovski/innovations#

I am by no means even remotely expert on any of this... I just know that when I use Swarovision Binoculars I start feeling unsettled (Globe Effect). In the early models it seemed particularly bad. As I said, I did use a 10x42 the other day and it seemed much better. However a few days after I tried the 10x42's I used an 8x32, and it it was a very bad experience! My Leica 8x32's have a far more "relaxed-natural" feeling when using them, even with some pincushion distortion present.

As the old preacher said, "it's better felt than telt."

Cheers My Friend!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.