-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went from scared to death of MILs to dialing and killing animals with my 3-9 in less than a month.

GB1

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Guys,, I was just bitchin. I probably could get the hang of it, but just dread it, or don't really want to. Dealing with one or 3 scopes in mil, & throw them in amongst 2 dozen scopes in moa just seems like it would be a cluster flop. I've beaten this horse before.

You may be underestimating yourself and missing out on a lot of fun. I read Formi's instructional post on the subject and got it. I then spent some time w/ a friends 308 CTR w/ the SS 3-9 and good dope and was hooked. It is so easy that even this 73 yo, flip phone toting boomer can do it. Knowing how to match POA w/ true POI is a revelation and a ton of fun. Warning, you will soon be buying a bunch of steel and upgrading your rangefinder.grin They also are rugged and reliable and affordable, no down side.

mike r

Thanks miker, but I have a bunch of steel & my rangefinders are a Swarovski laser guide, A Leica LRF 900 & a Bushnell Arc 1000. My ballistic software does need a third upgrade though.
I'll read the tutorial.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by mathman
Why are radians metric?

Because they’re accepted as the SI unit of angular measure. grin

Huh, now I’m beginning to wonder what the definition of a “Mathman” is...😱😂

My question was loaded.

I'm wondering who can accurately define radian measure of angle without looking it up.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why not buy one and use it as a "set and forget" scope? You don't have to dial and holdover and all that fancy stuff if it scares you that badly. Just buy it for the ruggedness.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Why not buy one and use it as a "set and forget" scope? You don't have to dial and holdover and all that fancy stuff if it scares you that badly. Just buy it for the ruggedness.

If the OP chooses to go that route, he'll have a wait a while to buy a new SWFA 3-9. I ordered one at the end of the last Black Friday sale, and it is STILL backordered. They told me last week that the next load of them MIGHT be here in April.

I love the SWFA 3x9 I have now, and also have an SHV 3-10. If you're not going to dial much the SHV is a nice scope. They are about the same weight, but the SWFA gives more latitude in mounting unless you use a rail.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Why are radians metric?

Because they’re accepted as the SI unit of angular measure. grin

Huh, now I’m beginning to wonder what the definition of a “Mathman” is...😱😂

My question was loaded.

I'm wondering who can accurately define radian measure of angle without looking it up.

As I understand it, if you have a piece of pie, the distance around the curved part of the slice equals the distance of the legs.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're right next to it John. A little careful language about subtended angle and such would finish it.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes, I am still waiting for my Black Friday 3-9 also.

I have a Tikka 270 with a 3-9 in Sportsmatch rings that is near perfection at 7 3/4 lbs. I'm waiting on another 3-9 to replace the SWFA 6x I have on my Tikka 6.5 Creed. Once you find a good recipe, it's hard not to duplicate it. A Tikka, SWFA 3-9, and Sortsmatch rings are like ham, pintos, and cornbread. Mmm...

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by djb

I have a Tikka 270 with a 3-9 in Sportsmatch rings that is near perfection at 7 3/4 lbs. I'm waiting on another 3-9 to replace the SWFA 6x I have on my Tikka 6.5 Creed. Once you find a good recipe, it's hard not to duplicate it. A Tikka, SWFA 3-9, and Sortsmatch rings are like ham, pintos, and cornbread. Mmm...

Absolutely! I have the same combo (3-9 and Sportsmatch) on a Tikka SL in 6.5, and an older Tikka 7RM with the SWFA 6x but with Talleys. Good times.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A radian is a radian, period. It can be called metric if it's adopted as part of that system.

grin

Exactly. The radian is a mathematical construct that has been adopted as the unit of angular measure in the SI system, making it metric by adoption but not inherently.

This may not be the exact mathematical definition, but a radian is simply the subtended angle by the radius of a circle over which the arc-length on the circle is equal to the radius.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Originally Posted by sigguy
Originally Posted by djb

Absolutely! I have the same combo (3-9 and Sportsmatch) on a Tikka SL in 6.5, and an older Tikka 7RM with the SWFA 6x but with Talleys. Good times.....

Peas and carrots as well on that combo. Tikka CTR 6.5 SWFA 3-9 in Vortex branded American made rings so I guess they don't make them and a Griffen SD-30 can is the shizzle.

I've run this combo out to 950 yds. It's heavy with the can and bipod but allows the impact to be seen through the scope.

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

Just playing around with the notion of what "I'd" like to have & probably not real clear about it. I like the 3-9 SWFA for it's price point when on sale, & it's reported ruggedness. Should be a good truck gun scope. Otherwise, I don''t think I'm scared of "fancy" stuff as I have no less than 11 scopes with target or tactical type knobs, & have been twisting them on a regular basis for over 25 years. They are in MOA though, so maybe that's not fancy. crazy

I expect I could learn to sufficiently use the mil system but really don't want to. I also mentioned I would like SFP. I know the differences here, but just don't care for it, or don't feel it benefits me. It always cost extra when there is a choice, so why pay for it if ya don't want it?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why not the Nightforce SHV 3-10 then?

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thinking a Meopta Moepro 4.5-14 with knobs might trump them both for price, features & weight. Just not quite the feedback of the other two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They could cap those big honking turrets and it wouldn’t piss a lot of people off.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 16bore

They could cap those big honking turrets and it wouldn’t piss a lot of people off.

For sure! Seems weird that they don't offer it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ‘fire is but a small sample....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
The ‘fire is but a small sample....

But the fanboys are quite the passionate bunch......

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I prefer a SFP in a scope under 10X. FFP in the lower powers makes the reticle so small it’s useless.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RedBeard308
I prefer a SFP in a scope under 10X. FFP in the lower powers makes the reticle so small it’s useless.

But the reticle in the low powers of a SPF scope IS 100% useless lol

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,312
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.