Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm in the process of booking a NF moose hunt with Mountain Top Outfitters for this fall . I don't know diddly squat about moose hunting even though I've been big game hunting for almost 40 years now. I obviously know the basics.....rifle, bullets, optics, etc that are necessary, but what about the rest of the gear? I live in the desert of West Texas, so know virtually nothing about hunting in wet, boggy climates. What do you experienced guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Waterproof, knee high boots that you’ve logged some miles in, good rain gear, and a set of those portable boot dryers.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you can find a pair of used sourdough slippers (I believe they were discontinued) or a similar product, they are indispensable in some moose habitat. Most especially if hiking dry land is required, but the moose are down in the swampy areas.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BrandonGleason
Waterproof, knee high boots that you’ve logged some miles in, good rain gear, and a set of those portable boot dryers.

Thanks for the help, but I'd really appreciate specifics/brands, etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
If you can find a pair of used sourdough slippers (I believe they were discontinued) or a similar product, they are indispensable in some moose habitat. Most especially if hiking dry land is required, but the moose are down in the swampy areas.

Dry land is not a thing in Newfoundland. The ground is a wet sponge.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Lacrosse 1,000 gram knee high rubber boots.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Does the outfitter provide a list?

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I haven't asked him yet. I want the opinions of experienced hunters with specifics. I think that's much better than a generic list like "rain gear, rubber boots, socks, etc......."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Dry land is not a thing in Newfoundland. The ground is a wet sponge.

Gotcha. Rubber hip boots aren't comfortable for all day ware if you're hiking around, or even laying around IME.
If this is a boat hunt, then the sourdough slippers may still be worth it when a guy gets out of the boat to stalk.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suspect the outfitter can provide specifics if asked. At least that has been my experience in Alaska, BC and Alberta.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Simms G3 waders with their Flyweight Vibram wading boot for my moose hunt on the Alaskan Peninsula last year. Was very happy with that choice. Not sure if conditions in Newfoundland are similar enough that these would be a good choice for you. With light enough base layers I thought hiking/stalking wasn't too bad. Synthetic base layers in lightweight and heavy weight to mix and match along with a Kuiu Peleton 240 full zip hoody and a puffy for warmth while sitting/spotting. Good rain coat for over everything for extra warmth/keep dry/block wind. I used HH Impertech.

Do or do not, there is no try.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Uncle Johnny, I like xtra tuff knee high rubbers, helly Hansen rain gear. Ask him if waders are gonna be needed, if they are lotsa good lightweight options. Have a great trip, looking forward to pics!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
www.darntough.com

I’ve never used anything different & have logged many, many miles in them. My feet have never gotten cold in them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm pretty much old school I guess and still moose hunt in my Lacrosse hip boots. They're comfortable, I can hike in them all day and unless it turns off unseasonably warm they're not too warm for all day wear. I wouldn't want to climb mountains in them but for most moose hunting habitat they are well suited. Knee high rubber boots have never done it for me. I always seem to find more water than they will protect against.

If I can steal from and modify Whelen's famous quote, it would read, "when moose hunting, hips boots and a 30-06 are never a mistake."

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I hunt moose in Saskatchewan and you will need a pair of fleece pants for the waders and possibly neoprene socks. Check what king of lubricant was used on the bolt of your rifle or better yet just go the a gunsmith and have your bolt disassembled and lubricated with something that will not jell in cold temp, saw this happen twice in five hunts. If boats are used for transport then you will need a face covering to fight the windchill. One of the comments above was to talk to your outfitter, this is very good advice. The outfitter we use and all his personnel are Cree and do not talk much until they get a feel for who you are, and our first moose hunt was a learning experience to say the least.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pre hunt back exercises.....(for carrying 100lb loads of meat tied to a pack frame...;)

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Helly Hansen Impertech jacket and Kuiu Yukon pants worked great for me in Alaska this year.

You are gonna have a great time!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Pre hunt back exercises.....(for carrying 100lb loads of meat tied to a pack frame...;)

Bring wool t shirts, the kuiu pants are great , thin wool beanie, Oregon research sombrero. Hunting in rain can play issue with scope fogging sometimes imo so make sure have a good scope.

Yep, and your hip flexors get a big workout hiking through boggy wet areas every day.

Lots of core, squats, lunges, bird dogs for lower back, lots of bike riding. I bring packets of emergen C ( 2 per day) to put in my water during the hunt and helps with cramps, soreness after long day of hiking and packing meat.

Boot dryer end of day and rubber boots get wet hiking in them all day. Sure guide has them in camp

Last edited by ribka; 02/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Depending on season: potentially a gallon of DEET or full body coverage with a head net. .

Last edited by 1minute; 02/23/20.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Certainly. I wore a pair of Muck Wetlands boots over Darn Tough socks. I wore Sitka Cloudburst rain paints over the tops of the boots, with a set of Kenetrek gaiters over the pant bottoms to protect them from the underbrush and suffered no tears (in either rain paints nor neoprene uppers of the Mucks). I wore the Cloudburst jacket as an outer shell and was never wet. I would suggest a good set of liner gloves and overgloves. I wore the liners while hiking just as general protection from my hands from brush, but my hands didn't sweat. I put the overgloves on when we were glassing for warmth.

The small boot warmers (Peets, I believe) were indispensable for drying the moisture from perspiration from the boots in the evening while the generators were on.

Brandon Gleason
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1minute, 163bc, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,592
Posts18,473,455
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.