KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The corner crossing should probably move to its own thread but-

The argument is-
Terms Used In Montana Code 45-6-203
(b) enters or remains unlawfully in or upon the premises of another. (2) A person convicted of the offense of criminal trespass to property shall be fined not to exceed $500 or be imprisoned in the county jail for any term not to exceed 6 months, or both.

The argument goes-
If you put a quarter on the ground with 4 lines moving out from the center point. And you step over the diagonals, parts of your body enters the adjacent squares.

Predictably, if the Court rules that entering someone’s property is ok, then that raises a takings argument.

“The Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution includes a provision known as the Takings Clause, which states that "private property [shall not] be taken for public use, without just compensation." While the Fifth Amendment by itself only applies to actions by the federal government, the Fourteenth Amendment ...”

Onx maps is purportedly cataloging how many corners lock land.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The laws the laws.
Some laws are BS.
This is one of those.

A problem we have in this country is the lack of
reason and justice. No one can claim harm over crossing that
corner. It is not the same as someone parking on you pasture
and hunting their way to public land.

But, in our legalistic, by the book, and expanding on precedence
legal system, it could be claimed as the same.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The laws the laws.
Some laws are BS.
This is one of those.

A problem we have in this country is the lack of
reason and justice. No one can claim harm over crossing that
corner. It is not the same as someone parking on you pasture
and hunting their way to public land.

But, in our legalistic, by the book, and expanding on precedence
legal system, it could be claimed as the same.

It is hard to write laws that apply to every situation.
If someone started a trail across our property we would all be upset. Additionally, we all know that people don’t always stay on the trail.
Hard to blame landowners for not wanting to deal with people who want to control the landowners property.
On the other hand it seems inappropriate to profiteer off the public lands.

Once onx identifies all of the corner crossing locations then maybe each could be addressed on the actual situation rather than the theoretical.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have read some on the evolution of the property , fences, trespassing in Texas..
Much of that issues seems to have evolved around the time wire fence or barb-wire made it possible to fence larger areas at a somewhat reasonable cost. This created the situation where hoof-borne traffic would encounter a barrier in what had been a regular path of transit...

This led to fence cutting by some which led to laws as those with fences got tired of the cost of repairing the cut fences..understandable particularly when wire fence was new and a significant investment...
So I have read....

I imagine similar issues developed in any state that was divided up in the railroad grid system (township, range, section,etc) though i have run into similar issues in states not using the TRS system. Sections of dirt county roads enclosed within a large ranch. It can make for a long way around the closed section of road...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So mandate a 3' wide corner crossing right of away, non vehicular, mark it, pay the landowner for it. Would take some time, effort and money, but I bet sportsmen/hunters would pony up for it.

Land owners will of course be opposed. For good reason. But fugem- I'm "the public" with right to access "my" land.

I would feel different as a land-owner dealing wilth azzwipes befouling my land in any way, shape or form, outside the access corridors.

and it is going to happen.

God, I'm glad I'm in Alaska, despite Jimmy Carter, and Native Land Claims....! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a classic case near here. The yellow is BLM which backs up to Nat Forest to the north. White is private. Onx is off a bit, the red line should be right on the edge of the yellow.
That corner comes down to within a couple feet of the public road but you can't get to it. It's fenced and posted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So question. Not knowing the level of public road. What is the "right of way" associated with that road. I have seen anywhere from three to fifteen (?) Feet....
It seems that would override posting, depending on state law...

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Civilization isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
Civilization isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Sometimes the problem with civilization is.

it isn't very civilized at all.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And more so all the time it seems.

In the several years my wife taught K, she would start with 2 mice in the classroom cage. They got along fine. By the time the year was out, there would be maybe a dozen, all in constant stress and fighting. She used it as a lesson.

One in there for all of us.

Last edited by las; 02/23/20.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
So question. Not knowing the level of public road. What is the "right of way" associated with that road. I have seen anywhere from three to fifteen (?) Feet....
It seems that would override posting, depending on state law...
It's fenced right up to the narrow road so there's no place to park. It gets vertical real quick.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck.
Usually IME there is a prescribed right of way set by either the DOT or County... I am sure someone has looked unto the issue at some point... but just so you know where i was going . Land owners don't always follow the ROW rules ..and no one usually brings it up until the DOT or County wants to do some work in the ROW...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/23/20.

-OMotS

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In ND the section lines have , I think, a 30' right of way. Most - well some - landowners fenced accordingly. We drove a lot of those, looking for what we called "sand cherries". Made good jelly. Not bad eating. Don't know what the hell they are, actually.... smile. Low, not-very-bushy things. Native prarie things.

Just googled it - "western" or "Nebraska" sand cherry.

Never found any outside of native prairie - hence the fenced out section lines. I guess cows eat them too.

Last edited by las; 02/23/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The point is WTF?

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Las
North Dakota public section line is a rather unique system. But those Norwegians were very civilized, ironically.

Rock Chuck
A quick google shows Idaho may have 50 ft easements. That public land may be legally accessible. May be worth investigating a little more. Now practical access may be a challenge.

Originally Posted by las
So mandate a 3' wide corner crossing right of away, non vehicular, mark it, pay the landowner for it. Would take some time, effort and money, but I bet sportsmen/hunters would pony up for it.

Land owners will of course be opposed. For good reason. But fugem- I'm "the public" with right to access "my" land. smile

This becomes the 5th amendment takings issue. It would require a change politically in the state, the conservatives have defeated the issue twice in the legislature. And after the US Supreme Court decision in Kelo, people are weary of emanate domain.

The devil in the detail question is pay how much? Valuation would be a challenge.

Once onx identifies how many actual parcels there are, the process may become less theoretical. At this point, sportsman do not carry the political clout.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 02/24/20.
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I went looking for a photo of a Z style pedestrian gate but all I found were handicap gates, so that requires however many extra inches and extra complexity.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That corner I posted is just an example. It's not a critical landlock because if you did get on the public land at that point, you'd have a very long hard climb to get to anywhere you might find game.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
I went looking for a photo of a Z style pedestrian gate but all I found were handicap gates, so that requires however many extra inches and extra complexity.

Similar to this?
[Linked Image from foxborocompany.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by KRAKMT

Similar to this?
[Linked Image from foxborocompany.com]

I'll cry foul. I can't get my llamas through that.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And with an extra "leg" in it to make the z and get you to the diagonal corner, you'd really be twisted up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.