-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff folks. Thanks for all the ideas for when I need to replace a belt. Which I coming up soon and had I seen the link before I might have jumped on the one on sale.

Seems we have two camps here on belts.............leather or nylon.

Kinda like..............

beans/no beans

Stihl/Echo

Wool/Synthetic

Ice/ neat

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TomM1
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I use the 1.5" double thickness belts Filson makes, I have two of them and also a 1.25" version. .

I agree on this belt. I have had one for many years now. Where it hunting with a handgun and knife on it and it still isn't even scratched.

x3, I’ve had my Filson belt for about 10 years. Still going strong. Prior to this I had a belt made by Simply Rugged, same folks who make the pancake holsters in Alaska. That sucker was heavy duty, but it...uh...shrunk, so I bought the Filson 😁

I have an older Filson belt that is great, but later on I heard their quality had gone down compared to the older ones. That's why I went to Bull Hide Belts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by andrews1958
What would you recommend for a good heavy duty pant belt.

Something rugged enough to hold up your pants along with a knife, wallet, and whatever else you have heavy in your pockets. My regular jean belt does not seem heavy enough.

I fly 200,000+ miles per year to double digit countries. I also hunt/fish in as many of these as I can, as well as at home in Idaho, Alabama and "other". The Wilderness 1-1/2" FF has been a literal game changer. Best belt ever!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think I’m on Galco SB3 number 3 in 20 years. One was the victim of a GSP. One was the victim of my weight gain.

Tried the Hanks and the stitching came out after a year.

The Galco’s are doubled up and extremely stiff but wear in nicely in two weeks and I’m pretty sure I could use the buckle as a winch anchor. Their dressier belts are equally as tough.

I’ve tried others but always go back.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Tried the Hanks and the stitching came out after a year.

And if that were true Hanks would have replaced the belt for free. They also will send you new Chicago screws for free if you lose one. They also will replace the buckle for free if you don’t like something about it.
I’ve had a Hanks Exteme carry belt for 5 years lugging a pistol and various other things and never had a problem, no lost screws, no stretching or sagging. It’s the best 17 oz one piece leather belt out there for 50 bucks on sale.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stole an idea from an Alpine climber that I went to the Boundary Waters with in 1986. He had a belt made from a doubled length of 1" web and a Fastex buckle. He could do all sorts of things with that web. I once saw him go straight up a tree with nothing but that belt to hang a line for the bear bag. I don't normally wear a belt. I prefer suspenders, but when I'm on the trail, I have a one of those 1" web belts and then I use military suspenders to hook to that. That belt has come in handy over the years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
I stole an idea from an Alpine climber that I went to the Boundary Waters with in 1986. He had a belt made from a doubled length of 1" web and a Fastex buckle. He could do all sorts of things with that web. I once saw him go straight up a tree with nothing but that belt to hang a line for the bear bag. I don't normally wear a belt. I prefer suspenders, but when I'm on the trail, I have a one of those 1" web belts and then I use military suspenders to hook to that. That belt has come in handy over the years.

Yeah, I've used woven tubular webbing. great for tying off to an anchor on steep terrain, too. Use the right buckle or learn how to tie a water knot.

Home Depot belt is excellent...thick, wide and suitable for heavy sidearms. Double tongue buckle. Several offerings.
They also have a 3 pc version reinforced with rivets.

Hank's belts. Thickness and width choices. Never have failed me.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Filson double belt- I’ve been wearing one for years.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kingston
Filson double belt- I’ve been wearing one for years.

I have an old one from around 1993 and I've heard the new ones weren't made as well.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine is 10 years old or so and made really well.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Belt (Hanks or nylon) with suspenders. Suspenders carry the weight, the belt is loose, but stiff enough to carry the litter.
A lot of things Filson makes don't seem to be what they once was. Shame, and the prices keep going up...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a Filson belt in 1997. Finally retired it 22 years later because two decades of wear didn't look so nice. The belt still functioned fine. I would have replaced it with another Filson, but the quality had declined and so I passed.

I now have a few Bullhide belts, both work and dress ( https://www.bullhidebelts.com/pages/shop-belts ). I'd say they are better than my old Filson. I am very happy with them.

I also have the Patagonia nylon belt. It is a very good belt. Not quite as stiff as the Bullhide belts, but still a very good belt. I prefer leather because it looks nicer, but I wear the Patagonia nylon belt when I expect to encounter water/snow/mud, crawling on concrete (i.e. working under a car).

I, too, avoid velcro on my gear, when I can. It is noisy, and does wear out with use. A hole in thick leather is silent and lasts forever.

I have no experience with the other belts mentioned. A few of them look like the equivalent of my Bullhide belts, though.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tractor Supply sells a real leather work belt for about $15

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Perhaps a sign of late winter? But I've never had a problem finding a belt to do the job of holding up pants.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.