Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/they-lied-us-mom-says-police-deceived-her-get-her-n1140696
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
By Jon Schuppe
VALDOSTA, Ga. — On an October morning in 2018, Eleanor Holmes and her husband left home to run an errand and found two men inside their front gate. They introduced themselves as detectives from Orlando, Florida, and said they needed the couple’s help.
Standing in the driveway, the casually dressed detectives said they were trying to identify someone who’d been found dead many years earlier, the Holmeses recalled. They were looking for the person’s relatives, and were using DNA and genealogical records to stitch together a family tree that they hoped would lead them to a name. Friendly and businesslike, they said they’d already got DNA samples from Eleanor Holmes’ sister and an aunt. And now they wanted hers.

Holmes already knew about the detectives’ visit to her sister. It worried her that someone in her family had died without anyone knowing about it. She had relatives in Orlando, including a niece whom she hadn’t heard from in more than a decade. So she agreed.
“I just did it because that was the only thing on my mind, my niece. That was it, bottom line,” Holmes said in a recent interview.
The detectives, still standing in the driveway, swabbed Holmes’ cheek and put the sample in a container. They thanked her, gave her a business card and drove away.
She thought nothing of it until a few days later, when she got a frantic phone call from the girlfriend of one of her sons, Benjamin Holmes Jr. Orlando police had just arrested him for allegedly fatally shooting a college student, Christine Franke, in her Florida home in 2001. They’d used DNA and genealogical records to tie him to the crime.

Christine Franke was 25 when she was killed on Oct. 21, 2001.Orlando Police Department
In that panicked moment, it dawned on Holmes that the detectives hadn’t told her the truth. They’d used her DNA to help build a case against her son.
“When they arrested him, I knew they were lying,” Holmes said. “They lied to us.”
Police have said that the arrest of Benjamin Holmes Jr., 39, shows their commitment “to do everything we can to solve crimes.” Franke’s family says the arrest has given them long-needed answers about her death and allowed them to stop wondering if the killer was still out there, free to prey on others.
Benjamin Holmes Jr. and his parents, though, say he is innocent. He has pleaded not guilty, and his trial, scheduled for June, may be the first to explore how police conduct investigations using genetic genealogy, a largely unregulated technology that has exploded in popularity in recent years.
Holmes and her husband, who are both in their mid-70s, aren’t the only ones in their family who feel misled by police. In the months before taking her DNA, Orlando detectives visited more than a dozen of her relatives in Florida and Georgia. Several said they were told a similar story before agreeing to provide DNA samples.
“It was just deception, not only to me but all my other family members, because they know what they were looking for when they took the DNA,” Holmes said. “They weren't looking for someone in our family that had been killed, or that was dead. They were looking totally to find out whether or not our DNA coincided with Benjamin's. That's what they were looking for.”
A new tool for a cold case
For 17 years, Orlando police detectives had tried to figure out who killed Franke. Although the case had gone cold, each did what they could with the available technology and manpower. But every lead, every potential clue found at the scene, left them, and Franke’s family, without answers.
“I thought they’d never catch him,” Franke’s mother, Tina, 70, said.

Tina Franke, right, the mother of murder victim Christine Franke, gets a hug from Christine's niece, Ashley, after a press conference on Nov. 5, 2018, at Orlando Police Department headquarters announcing the solving of the cold case from 2001.Joe Burbank / Orlando Sentinel via AP file
Franke, 25, was one of four siblings raised in Vero Beach, outside Orlando. An aspiring elementary school teacher, she was studying at the University of Central Florida while working as a server at a restaurant near the Universal Orlando theme parks. She lived with her girlfriend about a half hour away, on the north side of town.
Early in the morning of Oct. 21, 2001, after working a double shift, Franke returned home to an empty apartment; her girlfriend was out of town. Later that day, after the girlfriend was unable to reach her, she called a neighbor, who found Franke dead just inside the apartment door.
She’d been shot once in the head, and her wallet, containing no cash, had been discarded on the floor, according to court documents. Her clothing had been partially removed, and investigators found semen on her body. Police surmised that she had resisted the killer’s attempts to rob and rape her.
Police took a sample of the semen and submitted it to the state crime lab, which developed a profile and entered it into a national criminal database. There was no match. They took DNA from dozens of people ─ potential suspects, as well as friends, relatives, co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances and witnesses ─ and compared their profiles to the DNA found at the scene. Again, no hits.

An evidence marker at the scene of Christine Franke's shooting death.Orlando Police Department
They tried other forensic methods ─ lifting fingerprints from the apartment, entering a shell casing into a national firearms database ─ and found nothing. Years passed with no progress.
That changed in April 2018, when California authorities announced that they’d used a groundbreaking technique to identify a man they said was the Golden State Killer, a serial rapist and murderer who’d terrorized the state in the 1970s and the 1980s. Law enforcement officials said they’d solved the case by entering crime-scene DNA into an online database called GEDmatch, where people shared profiles purchased from direct-to-consumer genetic testing companies such as Ancestry.com and 23andMe.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds like good police work to me.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As far as I know, police aren't required to tell the truth when collecting evidence of a crime. In any case, the woman gave consent to the officers collecting DNA - what they used it for is immaterial.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by doubletap
Sounds like good police work to me.

Yeah. TS Blicktims...

TS would be true reguardless of race - but some always consider themselves "victim" no matter what crime they or theirs have committed..

Last edited by las; 02/23/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Great police work, another scab looking for a lawsuit! Nothing here.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So far it sounds good.

I am somewhat amazed that no matter what the little darlings have done,they did not do it.

They were just turning their live around just good old boys.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They’re more upset about this than they are about the fact that that their son is a cold-blooded killer? What the hell is wrong with these people!

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cops don't have to tell the truth. Now mommy's baby boy is held to account.

fryfuckerfry

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What’s wrong with these people is their ancestors got a raw deal. In their minds that justifies anything they do v

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Ever consider how easy it would be to set people up by using their DNA at a crime scene. Too much weight put on DNA, now fingerprints that's another matter. Amazed that defense attorneys don't question DNA more. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good point.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No telling what the little thug has done since then. They may need more than DNA to fry him.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no end of the self righteousness ......my son killed someone but we were tricked.
If it was their child.......

There is an organization that uses the same type of evidence to open old cases. Before DNA was used.

ONE HALF of those cases prove again the guy was guilty. They knew it when they tried to get another trial!!!!! ONE HALF!!!!!!!

Not only self righteous.......but stupid!!!!

Last edited by 257_X_50; 02/23/20.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
POS low lifes.

Whitey lied to us. No consideration for what they did to whitey first. Cops weren't fair, like their scum was to that girl.

Didndos are always the victims.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/24/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I agree the end justifed the means, but I wonder why the police just did not request a search warrant for the DNA

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mama ain't pissed because they arrested Junior...

She's pissed 'cause she didn't inherit $$$$ from the fake dead guy she thought she was kin to.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Ever consider how easy it would be to set people up by using their DNA at a crime scene. Too much weight put on DNA, now fingerprints that's another matter. Amazed that defense attorneys don't question DNA more. GW

Yes, it would be easy based on today's information. 19 years ago he did not realize how important it would be to clean up after himself.

Now that it is common knowledge they may have a case against the process. Nobody set that 30-year-old up to murder the young lady.

It is better than good police work.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"Lawsy! Dem officers done lied to me!!! My baby Dindonuffin!!!"

Unbelievable, our fine African American are upset that police lied, but it is OK that their son is a rapist and a murderer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if she said no, they probably would have gone thru her trash and got a cigarette butt or a nail clipping - whatever

Last edited by KFWA; 02/24/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
They’re more upset about this than they are about the fact that that their son is a cold-blooded killer? What the hell is wrong with these people!

They're Black, and in their mind, police aren't supposed to arrest Blacks....especially, using methods that "trick" them.

Dang good work by the cops, if you ask me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 3,216 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,630
Posts18,533,199
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.