Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Fairbanks City Transit System Bus 142 is an abandoned 1946 International Harvester K-5 that is parked in a clearing along the Stampede Trail near Denali National Park. It was originally one of a few buses used by the Yutan Construction Company to provide remote accommodations for the construction crew from Fairbanks that worked on road upgrades in 1960–1961. The bus engine was removed and it was instead towed by Caterpillar D8 bulldozers. It contained beds and a wood-burning stove, which still remain today. When the Stampede Mine ceased operations in the 1970s, all but this one bus were removed from the trail. Bus 142 had a broken rear axle, which caused the crew to leave it where it now serves as a backcountry shelter for hunters, trappers, and visitors.

It now serves as a Mecca for young, clueless liberals to throw themselves on the sword.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That made my morning Rock Chuck --- thanks .................

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't feel sorry for any of them and wouldn't waste my time trying to rescue them.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
all to celebrate that stupid loser who died there... that guy was an idiot of the first order and now all these other idiots want to worship him

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/24/us/italian-hikers-into-the-wild-bus-trnd/index.html

Last year, a 24-year-old woman from Belarus died while trying to reach the bus. And in 2010, a Swiss hiker drowned while trying to cross the same river McCandless failed to cross.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/25/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been there several times and have a buddy that moose hunts out there every year. You have to cross 2 rivers to get to that bus and the 2nd one, the Teklanika, is often very sketchy and is where the gal from Belarus drowned. I don't know why people don't do their damn homework when trying to go out there, there is a cable upstream from the crossing that one can use to assist you in getting across yet people try to cross it where it's narrow and moving the fastest. The last time I was out there that bus didn't have much for windows, was a total dump inside and barely functions as a shelter. So many other, better places to visit in this state yet people still go out of their way to visit that bus.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wasn't it a few years ago they had a reality show on tv about a competition between the best outdoor badasses in Alaska? IIRC one of their goals was to reach that bus. They gave a brief synopsis on the death of that kid when the team made it to that point.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I didn’t even think it was that great of a book. They made a movie? Why ever for?

Because he put a naked hippie chick in it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I didn’t even think it was that great of a book. They made a movie? Why ever for?

I agree, way too much Krakauer ego.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days.

Originally Posted by OAM
Why do people want to go see a POS broken down bus out in the middle of nowhere?

I went wife my wife 5 years ago. At one point in the trail your along the sushana river. There were two hippie chicks there and one was topless. Didnt have a care in the world that we were there. Ive been wanting to go back since.

Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days. The calendar gets us all eventually.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

I bet you would hit it!

IC B3

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

Originally Posted by OAM
Why do people want to go see a POS broken down bus out in the middle of nowhere?

I went wife my wife 5 years ago. At one point in the trail your along the sushana river. There were two hippie chicks there and one was topless. Didnt have a care in the world that we were there. Ive been wanting to go back since.

Ah yes, I remember those hippie girls from my college days. The calendar gets us all eventually.

Lol!! Thats a great pic. On a serious note there are some really good looking hippie chicks up here. Good ones in Homer, Girdwood, Talkeetna. Especially Talkeetna on 4th of July. Two years ago I was there and kept thinking "why in hell did I get married"?! The ratio was 3/1 girls and it was awesome!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
CH 47, or CH 53E. The boys probably need the training anyway.

Not a bad idea and they could drop it into one of their ma deuce firing ranges for shredding.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta have something to draw out and eliminate some of the future Darwin Award Winners. Before they procreate.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Need one in the suburbs in every major metropolitan area. Thin the liberals out.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OAM

Originally Posted by OAM

Lol!! Thats a great pic. On a serious note there are some really good looking hippie chicks up here. Good ones in Homer, Girdwood, Talkeetna. Especially Talkeetna on 4th of July. Two years ago I was there and kept thinking "why in hell did I get married"?! The ratio was 3/1 girls and it was awesome!

In Alaska? How good is your eyesight?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I’m in Anchorage right now and you’d be surprised, I don’t know where they get them. There’s a lot of hot chics here.

That being said, maybe so many people wouldn’t die trying to get to this bus if they waited until summer? It was 2 degrees here last night, I think the outcome might be better when it’s a bit warmer.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by OAM

Reminds me of the story a friend told me about a topless girl running up and hugging him in the Walmart parking lot while she picked his pocket. He claimed it happened to him 3 times in one day

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I’m in Anchorage right now and you’d be surprised, I don’t know where they get them. There’s a lot of hot chics here.

That being said, maybe so many people wouldn’t die trying to get to this bus if they waited until summer? It was 2 degrees here last night, I think the outcome might be better when it’s a bit warmer.

Not sure what part of town you are in... but we refer to good looking women here as "tourists!"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by OAM

Reminds me of the story a friend told me about a topless girl running up and hugging him in the Walmart parking lot while she picked his pocket. He claimed it happened to him 3 times in one day

In my college days there was a good-looking blond checker at the local Albertson's that wore a loose button-down shirt with the top several buttons undone. It was easy to see right down her shirt. She used the attention lapse to short change guys right and left. I always went to her checkstand anyway...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've been there several times and have a buddy that moose hunts out there every year. You have to cross 2 rivers to get to that bus and the 2nd one, the Teklanika, is often very sketchy and is where the gal from Belarus drowned. I don't know why people don't do their damn homework when trying to go out there, there is a cable upstream from the crossing that one can use to assist you in getting across yet people try to cross it where it's narrow and moving the fastest. The last time I was out there that bus didn't have much for windows, was a total dump inside and barely functions as a shelter. So many other, better places to visit in this state yet people still go out of their way to visit that bus.

Actually read the book and have been back on the stampede trail before Mccandless decided he didnt want to live anymore. The reason which maybe achingly obvious, is that people cross at the narrowest part is because the other side looks closer. Its telling these people have no experience and common sense trying to survive, even briefly. Inept people panic.

Last edited by johnn; 02/25/20.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,581
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.