Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
When I’m not running NF or other high end scopes, it’s a Burris FFII 3-9x40...currently have 3 and will buy more...Very nice reliable simple hunting scope...My last one was New in the Box for $130 off ebay.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Do you already have good mounts? What kind of rifle is it going on?

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bearded
Do you already have good mounts? What kind of rifle is it going on?

No I am going to need mounts as well. It is going on an older (mid 80's) Savage 110 chambered in 30 06

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
J
J
Weaver quad lock rings are fairly solid, and under 20 bucks.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I’ve had good luck buying leupold or red fields mounted in old school weaver rings n bases. 15 years ago when I started buying my own I thought if I could afford a leupold that I would have the world by the a**. Now I have moved on to nightforce, zeiss, and Swarovski, but If I had to go back to one gun it would be a 30-06 with a leupold base model 3-9. Worked well and instead of worrying about all the loony sh*t I just hunted. Now it’s a constant search for next best thing. 🤦‍♂️

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If I absolutely, positively couldn’t spend more than $150 for rings and scope; I’d scour hard for a Nitrex (by weaver) TR one, I see them go for ~100 every so often. That leaves you $50 for decent mounts. A good scope in crap mounts is frustration and a waste of ammo.

But my real suggestion is to find a way to make another $100 in your budget. At $250 you should be able to pick up a used SWFA SS 6x42 for around $200, and have $50 left for mounts. Assuming your rifle already has bases I’d be looking at Sportsmatch.

I know you said you don’t dial, but it has the reticle you’re looking for and is more reliable than anything near it in price. You may want to dial later.

Sell something.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sig Sauer Whiskey3 3-9x40 BDC-1 reticle and a set of Weaver Grand Slam steel rings...

J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bearded
If I absolutely, positively couldn’t spend more than $150 for rings and scope; I’d scour hard for a Nitrex (by weaver) TR one, I see them go for ~100 every so often. That leaves you $50 for decent mounts. A good scope in crap mounts is frustration and a waste of ammo.

But my real suggestion is to find a way to make another $100 in your budget. At $250 you should be able to pick up a used SWFA SS 6x42 for around $200, and have $50 left for mounts. Assuming your rifle already has bases I’d be looking at Sportsmatch.

I know you said you don’t dial, but it has the reticle you’re looking for and is more reliable than anything near it in price. You may want to dial later.

Sell something.

Actually the 150 budget is for scope only. I was figuring I could put another 50 towards rings.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Rifle Scopes - 3-9x40mm Multi-X Reticle. I have one and it is a very good 3-9 option, great glass for the money. $100 at Natchez with their promo going on right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the Burris FF II

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting thread.

So far Burris 3-9x FFII leads with 19 votes.

Next:
Bushnell, 5 votes
Leupold variable, 4 votes
Leupold fixed, 2 votes
Nikon, 2 votes

All the rest 1 vote, including one for Athlon by somebody who offered to sell his to the OP.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Nikon Buckmaster is in your price range, i bought a 3-9x40 for a 50 cal muzzle loader and it has held up to that abuse, has a graduated reticle. Think about zeroing using maxium point blank range. Makes for quick acquisition. Pretty nice scope for the money. I personally wouldn't recommend something that i didn't try myself.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
4-12x40 Redfield Revolution with Accu-Range reticle.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Burris FF II. Pretty good scope

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting thread.

So far Burris 3-9x FFII leads with 19 votes.

Next:
Bushnell, 5 votes
Leupold variable, 4 votes
Leupold fixed, 2 votes
Nikon, 2 votes

All the rest 1 vote, including one for Athlon by somebody who offered to sell his to the OP.

You dont say. Those were just my votes. I probably have 19 hunting rifles with ffII's on them laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Full3r
I’ve had good luck buying leupold or red fields mounted in old school weaver rings n bases. 15 years ago when I started buying my own I thought if I could afford a leupold that I would have the world by the a**. Now I have moved on to nightforce, zeiss, and Swarovski, but If I had to go back to one gun it would be a 30-06 with a leupold base model 3-9. Worked well and instead of worrying about all the loony sh*t I just hunted. Now it’s a constant search for next best thing. 🤦‍♂️

How many stories out there like that? Start off simple and evolve into Jonesing it. I've got up on the Leupold VX-3 level but enough's enough. I've got too many rifles to be buying thousand dollar scopes for all of them. Hell, I could pay for a nice house doing that. And to think, at one time I was totally happy with a VX-1.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/26/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting thread.

Actually he did 1 better than that. He offered to send it to me and I can try it out, compare it to other scopes, and even mount it and shoot it to see how I like it.!!! So I will be checking it out. I may see if I can find a Fullfield II locally to compare it to.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Interesting thread.

Actually he did 1 better than that. He offered to send it to me and I can try it out, compare it to other scopes, and even mount it and shoot it to see how I like it.!!! So I will be checking it out. I may see if I can find a Fullfield II locally to compare it to.

Since you are going to be using cheaper mounts, make sure that you find someone to help you lap the rings. That Savage is a flat-back receiver, right? I may be able to hook you up with mounts and rings. PM me, if you are interested and I will check to see what I have.

Last edited by sbhooper; 02/26/20.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a leupold take off at a gun store.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Jevyod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really got some good advice, and suggestions within my price range which frankly surprised me!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.