Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It’s been here for months already. Apparently, Atlanta has had some especially bad cases of flu this year. Atlanta with just about the busiest airport in the world would be a place you would expect it to be. I suspect that lots of those flu cases from earlier in the year were something else.

Either way, this is t something that is going to be “contained”. Everyone will get it. For some it will be bad. For most it won’t be. Just like the common cold and or flu...at just a higher rate of serious complications. But not serious enough that everyone should hide out for weeks or months at a time...as if that would do any good anyway.
If you really knew something, your commentary would be worthwhile, but the first part of the point, negates the second.

Saying that its been here already could be true, but probably isn't. The part unsaid about not really knowing is salient. How bad it will be for 1st world citizens with better healthcare systems and ostensibly, in better shape than malnourished Chinese, is unknown. There are a lot of unknowns. For instance, your assertion that people should just get it and get it over with is blatantly stupid. From my limited understanding, once you've had the flu, you are pretty much immune to it until it morphs into something else. I don't know about colds-one is the Rhinovirus which seems to only be something you're immune to for a limited amount of time. There has been talk of this being like the latter, in which case, getting it is of no long-term benefit. In fact, if you were to get it over and over and over it would probably just break you down.

You justify the government's flippant or possibly more sinister response in actually bringing patients here as well as not shutting down ALL travel between China and here. You seem to love to throw something radical out and then defend it a little bit and leave.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the only requirements to be tested or for those traveling to/from infected areas. the test kits were faulty. only three testing centers in the united states. might have something to do with underreporting in this country.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
....OMG, did I just invoke karma or what? shocked

That’s just silly.....

Im sure you didn’t....

Don’t worry about it.......

You know sometimes....

I’ll put $100 on Birdy being #1 !

whistle

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
It’s been here for months already. Apparently, Atlanta has had some especially bad cases of flu this year. Atlanta with just about the busiest airport in the world would be a place you would expect it to be. I suspect that lots of those flu cases from earlier in the year were something else.

Either way, this is t something that is going to be “contained”. Everyone will get it. For some it will be bad. For most it won’t be. Just like the common cold and or flu...at just a higher rate of serious complications. But not serious enough that everyone should hide out for weeks or months at a time...as if that would do any good anyway.
If you really knew something, your commentary would be worthwhile, but the first part of the point, negates the second.

Saying that its been here already could be true, but probably isn't. The part unsaid about not really knowing is salient. How bad it will be for 1st world citizens with better healthcare systems and ostensibly, in better shape than malnourished Chinese, is unknown. There are a lot of unknowns. For instance, your assertion that people should just get it and get it over with is blatantly stupid. From my limited understanding, once you've had the flu, you are pretty much immune to it until it morphs into something else. I don't know about colds-one is the Rhinovirus which seems to only be something you're immune to for a limited amount of time. There has been talk of this being like the latter, in which case, getting it is of no long-term benefit. In fact, if you were to get it over and over and over it would probably just break you down.

You justify the government's flippant or possibly more sinister response in actually bringing patients here as well as not shutting down ALL travel between China and here. You seem to love to throw something radical out and then defend it a little bit and leave.

First, WTF is your problem? Secondly, we know it’s been in Wuhan for months and was there for months before they let on that there was any problem. With the volume of international travel nowadays, it would be unreasonable to expect that infected persons didn’t make their way to the US before the travel bans and quarantines took effect. I don’t know if you get immunity from getting it or not. But everything I’ve seen shows it being about as contagious as a cold. If that’s the case, you’re going to get it at some point. Trying to hide from it is useless. Just live your life.

I haven’t justified the governments actions one way or the other. I would much rather they left sick people over there and not bring them here. But in the end, I doubt it makes much difference. I think the cat was out of the bag a long time ago.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by rost495

Live life normally.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

First, WTF is your problem? Secondly, we know it’s been in Wuhan for months and was there for months before they let on that there was any problem. With the volume of international travel nowadays, it would be unreasonable to expect that infected persons didn’t make their way to the US before the travel bans and quarantines took effect. I don’t know if you get immunity from getting it or not. But everything I’ve seen shows it being about as contagious as a cold. If that’s the case, you’re going to get it at some point. Trying to hide from it is useless. Just live your life.

I haven’t justified the governments actions one way or the other. I would much rather they left sick people over there and not bring them here. But in the end, I doubt it makes much difference. I think the cat was out of the bag a long time ago.
My problem is with ignorant bs. Read in between the lines for the rest.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

My problem is with ignorant bs. Read in between the lines for the rest.

Oh, that’s right, you’re an [bleep]. Sorry, I forgot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one thing brought out in the spectator article is the E.U. and open borders, combined with lots of chinese visiting europe. they must be feeling real good in europe right about n ow.
eventually as this continues there is a good chance of supply side interuptions for various corporations. china is a important part of world gnp, and that interuption (s) will effect corporations world wide.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/25/20.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
one thing brought out in the spectator article is the E.U. and open borders, combined with lots of chinese visiting europe. they must be feeling real good in europe right about n ow.

That one English dude infected like 14 people a month or so ago and didn’t even know he had it.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm always good on surgical masks, since I keep a couple of boxes on hand (along with goggles) at all times for when I clean out the hen house. You don't want to breath in that dust.

TRH, you may need N-100 masks to keep this virus out, though I havent heard what size the virus particles are.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
At 60% infection rate world-wide and 2% mortality, you're talking 84 million dead world-wide, if my math is correct (which it probably isn't).

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whiptail

So what can one do to prepare for a Coronavirus pandemic?

After reading some news this morning my wife asked if we have enough portaledges for all of us. Just checked a bit ago and we are good, though I don’t think my youngest son has ever slept on one.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
We have been stockpiling canned goods, MREs, and have been dehydrating fruits and vegetables, off and on, since last summer. A good supply of OTC remedies, vitamins, first aid items, germocidal bleach, toilet paper, etc.

The wife thought I was a bit nuts; not so much now.

Is that for living close to Chicago, or for the Coronavirus?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What till it burns through the shîtholiest of the shîthole countries; then recalculate.

Ya know, like India, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, etc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for putting India at the top of your Corona Summoning list.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really hope that some of the reports I e seen that Asians appear to be especially up stable to it are true. Not that I have anything against them, just that it wo t be as bad for everyone else as it is in China.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not direct about today's plague, but my folks were from old school Europe, and they had sayings about the black plague.
Funny that event was locked into the language. Generally they used it as a cuss word for some thing very terrible.
I always thought that was a bit historic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by KFWA
I think I read the masks are not as effective against this as other virus because it can be absorbed thru the eyes? I guess that's why you see people walking around in life sized condoms in China.

but I think the masks have to be many times more effective than *not* wearing a mask. If you are buying one, look for the blue on one side/white on the other. The white/white paper masks are not intended to stop virus spread.

*note* - all this comes from what I read online so fwiw......

btw, I have a box of 50 surgical masks I will trade for a Savage 99 in .308 (joke)

I read that, too.

I'm not sure of the "dose" of virus necessary to cause an infection. Evidently it's not that much.

The reproductive rate, Ro, is higher than SARS, lower than measles which is one of the most contagious viruses, Ro 18.

The Ro of COVID-19 is not a definite value, being refined as the disease progresses, currently floating between 2.0 and 3.1.

As I posted earlier, the fact that this one can be contagious for a period of time before symptom appear makes it especially hard (next to impossible) to contain.

And, the fact that it's NOT as deadly as Ebola and others, makes it easier to spread undetected.

We see the death rate in 3rd world countries, not sure what it would be with state of the art medicine. Hope we never find out.

Unfortunately, this one does't fit an existing model; we're learning as it evolves, making it hard to project an ultimate outcome

DF

KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

There's nothing that you can do to protect yourself or your family. Everyone on the planet will get infected and 2% will die.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by KC

There's nothing that you can do to protect yourself or your family. Everyone on the planet will get infected and 2% will die.

Sure there is hunker in your bunker until it is over. You preppies should have this all down and ready. Time to tunnel under and don't come up 'til autumn.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.