Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 62 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 61 62
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Why does my supposed failure require that you to go after wabigoon, a guy that is good to everyone?

Nobody is good except your God remember?

And defending a no good sinner is no excuse
for failing your Jesus.

Get with the picture Christians preach.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Starman

Why does my supposed failure require that you to go after wabigoon, a guy that is good to everyone?

Nobody is good except your God remember?

And defending a no good sinner is no excuse
for failing your Jesus.

Get with the picture Christians preach.

Oh, I certainly fail, and quite often. Nonetheless, I don’t answer to you. You are certainly able to beat your drum without the bs. I reckon you like the attention? Weird, huh?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pro tip,
If you're having issues with your faith don't read 'The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind'.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by DBT
The church went a long way in ushering in the dark ages, suppressing progress. And yeah, I know the Irish Monks did their bit in preserving manuscripts from the classical era, but that's not the point. Rather than the church hierarchy or christian doctrine that brought on the enlightenment, it was the inquiring minds of gifted thinkers who thought outside of the teachings of the church.
You completely ignored the positive influence of Christianity upon medical care and schooling, the founding of universities and hospitals, the positive influence upon philosophy and political thought and Human Rights, the role it played in ending infanticide and human sacrifice, etc..

Shocker.

During the dark ages, which the church ushered in? You need to be more specific by referencing time and place. Nobody is arguing against improvements in the church during and after enlightenment, reformation, etc. You seem to be mishmashing the history of the church.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Oh, I certainly fail, and quite often. Nonetheless, I don’t answer to you. You are certainly able to beat your drum without the bs. I reckon you like the attention? Weird, huh?

I AIN'T anywhere near as weird or backward as those that believe in primitive TALES

and nothing beats the attention grabbing tactics
of easy bruising christians claiming victim status.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You completely ignored the positive influence of Christianity upon medical care and schooling, the founding of universities and hospitals, the positive influence upon philosophy and political thought and Human Rights, the role it played in ending infanticide and human sacrifice, etc..

Romans outlawed human sacrifice about 100 BC.
Today's modern medical symbol (caduceus:
two serpents entwined around a winged staff)
stems from pagan God Hermes... Hippocrates
(460-371 BC) was a Greek philosopher-physician
who has been called 'the father of medicine'.
He and his followers dismissed the idea that illness
was simply caused or cured by superstitions,
spirits or gods.
Greco-Roman society were into universities
[The Platonic Academy, est. by Plato: 387]
thus four centuries before Christianity even
became a gnat on the radar screen.

When did Christianity actually grow up and get
its act together to make contribution of any
notable significance?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
The church went a long way in ushering in the dark ages, suppressing progress. And yeah, I know the Irish Monks did their bit in preserving manuscripts from the classical era, but that's not the point. Rather than the church hierarchy or christian doctrine that brought on the enlightenment, it was the inquiring minds of gifted thinkers who thought outside of the teachings of the church.

Shocker.

During the dark ages, which the church ushered in? You need to be more specific by referencing time and place. Nobody is arguing against improvements in the church during and after enlightenment, reformation, etc. You seem to be mishmashing the history of the church.
”...are you denying the POSITIVE impact of Christianity upon Western Civilization...?” That’s a crystal clear question, and ‘you’ responded with your “dark ages” answer... clearly and intentionally ignoring what I said you did. And the “improvements” were to Western Civilization itself, not just “in the church”. It is ‘you’ who are “mismashing”...clearly and intentionally ‘trying’ to practice intellectual dishonesty to make your point...and it’s duly noted. If you’re argument is so good and so strong, then why do you intentionally resort to such weak tactics...? It’s telling.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Shocker.

”...are you denying the POSITIVE impact of Christianity upon Western Civilization...?” That’s a crystal clear question, and ‘you’ responded with your “dark ages” answer... clearly and intentionally ignoring what I said you did. And the “improvements” were to Western Civilization itself, not just “in the church”. It is ‘you’ who are “mismashing”...clearly and intentionally ‘trying’ to practice intellectual dishonesty to make your point...and it’s duly noted. If you’re argument is so good and so strong, then why do you intentionally resort to such weak tactics...? It’s telling.

There are positive aspects to religion, Christianity has positive aspects. The question is whether the benefits outweigh the negatives in the long run.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
spirits or gods. Greco-Roman society were into universities
NONE of which negates the positive role of Christianity upon the history and formation of Western Civilization.
When did Christianity actually grow up and get its act together to make contribution of any
notable significance?
Jesus Himself called on followers to act without violence or prejudice and care for the sick, hungry and poor. Throughout its looong history...*many centuries*...Christianity (using Jesus’ teachings) has positivity influenced Western Civilization in the ways mentioned above, and more.

But you likely already knew that.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Want has nothing to do with it. The evidence is the evidence, or in this case, it's the lack there of....
Your WANT, and WILL, clearly has everything to do with it. You’re pretending it’s about evidence, and/or lack of it.
Originally Posted by antelope _sniper
Go back and re-read this thread. The emotional gnashing of teeth is not coming from the non-believers.
There is clearly plenty of intense emotional zeal coming from a few of you guys. My belief is that God exists...and your disbelief is about the non-existence of God...either way, God is still at the center of the debates ‘aboutness’. And again, you clearly can’t stand it that others have the gall to believe in God when you don’t WANT them to. Stop ‘acting’ like a pretendaholic dude.

You're just wrong.

But such are the challenges of this low context medium.

Is there a law against being wrong.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I AIN'T anywhere near as weird or backward as those that believe in primitive TALES

and nothing beats the attention grabbing tactics
of easy bruising christians claiming victim status.

We think you're pretty weird. Is there a law against being backward? We know it grates on you. You grate on us. I tell you what, if you dont talk to us, we wont talk to you. Deal?

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Western civilization began long before Christianity.
And...? Regardless...are you denying the positive impact of Christianity upon Western Civilization...?

Your prejudice is amazing. The Creationists Christians are the ones who brought us out of the dark ages. Stop reading atheist's propaganda, man.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
spirits or gods. Greco-Roman society were into universities
NONE of which negates the positive role of Christianity upon the history and formation of Western Civilization.
When did Christianity actually grow up and get its act together to make contribution of any
notable significance?
Jesus Himself called on followers to act without violence or prejudice and care for the sick, hungry and poor. Throughout its looong history...*many centuries*...Christianity (using Jesus’ teachings) has positivity influenced Western Civilization in the ways mentioned above, and more.

But you likely already knew that.

I find it interesting how you are no longer arguing for the truth of your proposition, and retreated to "but it has benefits", but so do most religions.

Even Hezbollah has a charitable arm, but I doubt you would argue that as evidence for the truth of Islam.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Western civilization began long before Christianity.
And...? Regardless...are you denying the positive impact of Christianity upon Western Civilization...?

Your prejudice is amazing. The Creationists Christians are the ones who brought us out of the dark ages. Stop reading atheist's propaganda, man.

You are not even close. We recovered in spite of, not because of theocratic dogma.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Want has nothing to do with it. The evidence is the evidence, or in this case, it's the lack there of....
Your WANT, and WILL, clearly has everything to do with it. You’re pretending it’s about evidence, and/or lack of it.
Go back and re-read this thread. The emotional gnashing of teeth is not coming from the non-believers.
There is clearly plenty of intense emotional zeal coming from a few of you guys. My belief is that God exists...and your disbelief is about the non-existence of God...either way, God is still at the center of the debates ‘aboutness’. And again, you clearly can’t stand it that others have the gall to believe in God when you don’t WANT them to. Stop ‘acting’ like a pretendaholic dude.

You're just wrong.

I don't recall making a legal argument against your position, but I suppose it depends upon how being wrong informs you actions.

Besides, not everything that can result in sub-optimum outcomes is against the law.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/26/20.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well now, you boys are talking even before my time. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You're just wrong.

That depends upon how it affects your actions.

Typical deflection. Duh, does us believing cause us to break laws? Now, get that devious brain cranked up again. Sheesh. You're like arguing with a worm. It depends on the meaning of what is is. Birds of a feather.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Ok. So, is there a law against "suboptimal" actions of outcomes?

I'm thinking kicking GOD out of school and teaching birth control and if it feels good, do it, as having brought suboptimal outcomes.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it interesting how you are no longer arguing for the truth of your proposition, and retreated to "but it has benefits", but so do most religions.
I simply answered questions that I was asked during a discussion. You ‘would’ find something wrong with that. Still ‘sore’ aren’t ya’...? When you have to flat out lie and resort to weak tactics like the intellectual dishonesty that you’re known for when discussing God, it just shows that ‘your’ position is as weak as your tactics are. Must be hard to be so bothered that so many people believe in a God when you clearly don’t WANT them to.
laffin’ and smh

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Someone new just reading here might think the idea was to drive non believers away.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 41 of 62 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,601
Posts18,473,568
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.