Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Bought a nicely sporterized 1891 Argentine Mauser from a coworker. It was left to him by his father; no history available. The Argy is not my first Mauser, but it's my first "cock on close" Mauser. I loaded some cast bullet plinking loads over Unique just to start off easy. I tested the first completed round for chamber fit, and when I ejected it, there was a noticeable dimple in the primer (which was more than a little disconcerting since I was testing in my basement!). I visually examined the face of the uncocked bolt, and sure enough, I could see and feel the end of the firing pin. Does the firing pin normally protrude from the face of an uncocked bolt? What should I do to test or alleviate this concern, which doesn't seem normal to me? Thanks for your thoughts.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The firing pin protrudes on all bolts when they're uncocked- - - -no matter when the firing pin spring gets compressed. The round wouldn't fire otherwise. If you want to check chamber fit safely, remove the firing pin first.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for that. I just don’t quite understand how that primer got dimpled!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one was to hold the trigger back while closing the action, the sear will not grab the firing pin. A neighbor once told his kid that method was a safe way to ride around in his rig with a round chambered. Put a round through the floor or his Suburban. Most of the damage was to the passenger's ears.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
If one was to hold the trigger back while closing the action, the sear will not grab the firing pin. A neighbor once told his kid that method was a safe way to ride around in his rig with a round chambered. Put a round through the floor or his Suburban. Most of the damage was to the passenger's ears.

That's a good example of [bleep] that can go wrong. Let's say that I did that or something similarly stupid for my first ever chambered round in my Argy....and luckily got away with it! Thanks for the lesson. I won't repeat the mistake.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My bench primer put a slight dimple on the primers.

It id on the seating tool.

Makes no difference primers still go bang.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The firing pin protrudes on all bolts when they're uncocked- - - -no matter when the firing pin spring gets compressed. The round wouldn't fire otherwise. If you want to check chamber fit safely, remove the firing pin first.
Jerry

+100

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Anyone stupid enough to ride around with the muzzle in the floorboard dirt should not be allowed to reproduce...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can verify from embarrassing experience that my 91 Argentine will catch just enough of the cocking piece when closing the bolt with the trigger depressed to fire a round. Fortunately, all I did was put a .311" diameter hole in my front yard the one and only time I tried that!
Jerry

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Anyone stupid enough to ride around with the muzzle in the floorboard dirt should not be allowed to reproduce...

I’ve seen that often enough to believe it is common practice.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by doubletap

Not calling it uncommon... calling it stupid. Just tried to remove some shotgun choke tubes the other day and the barrel has rolled enough over the end of the tube to make removal impossible without trimming or rolling back the burr.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Happens here too. A cousin who's dad taught him to do that was having trouble with his deer rifle. Fixed that and checked the crown while going over the rifle. Ye gads! Managed to get the divots out while giving the rifle a recessed crown. Might help for the future but old habits die hard. Anyway he thought I was a wiz for improving accuracy so much. smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by doubletap

Not calling it uncommon... calling it stupid. Just tried to remove some shotgun choke tubes the other day and the barrel has rolled enough over the end of the tube to make removal impossible without trimming or rolling back the burr.

Driving around with a loaded gun muzzle down in the passenger side foot well is a common practice in Iowa. There are lots of used pickups with repaired holes in the passenger side foot well or in the transmission hump.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My floorboard is clean NO dirt.. so why is your floorboard so dirty?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"A gun is ALWAYS loaded!" Someone gifted me a German made Weatherby 7MM mag. with a stock broken in two at the wrist. I repaired and reinforced it, and scavenged up a set of loading dies and some new brass. I checked the first round I loaded for cycling, and as I started to lift the bolt handle and eject the cartridge the gun fired and ventilated the roof of my gun shop, destroying a fluorescent light fixture on the way out. It tuned out that the die cast trigger housing was warped, and simply moving the bolt handle a fraction of an inch with a cartridge chambered would drop the firing pin. The rifle has been fixed for several years, but the hole in the ceiling is still there to remind me not to take anything firearm-related for granted!
Jerry

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hubert
My floorboard is clean NO dirt.. so why is your floorboard so dirty?

You must hunt alone. My hunting partners seem to track dirt on the passenger side of the floorboards.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Given the crown is my last contact with a fired slug, I'd never risk dinging it up by any means. Still though, I frequently see muzzles resting on floor boards.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 30 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.