Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The local grass fed thing is big down here and I did have some grass fed beef as a kid and it sucked. I did buy some grass fed beef about a year ago from a local producer. Ribeyes dry aged for 21 days at $19.99/lbs. Best beef I have had in years. Couldn't help but think of how good it would have been had it been grain finished. The local grass fed dude is part of a movement to get the USDA standards reduced so more grass fed beef can make USDA Choice and Prime. Or so he says. But I can say I'll take the dry aged grass fed over wet aged any day of the week. Any way we don't eat beef but about once every week or two any more. It is chicken, fish, seafood, or wild game most days of the week with pork thrown in sometimes. Steaks or lamb on Saturdays at those one/two week intervals and sometimes a chuck roast on Sundays.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been buying Choice whole loins from Sams for years. Last couple of years the quality dropped off. Last 4 I have bought have been Prime. They cost more but they have been excellent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by CWT
The local grass fed thing is big down here and I did have some grass fed beef as a kid and it sucked. I did buy some grass fed beef about a year ago from a local producer. Ribeyes dry aged for 21 days at $19.99/lbs. Best beef I have had in years. Couldn't help but think of how good it would have been had it been grain finished. The local grass fed dude is part of a movement to get the USDA standards reduced so more grass fed beef can make USDA Choice and Prime. Or so he says. But I can say I'll take the dry aged grass fed over wet aged any day of the week. Any way we don't eat beef but about once every week or two any more. It is chicken, fish, seafood, or wild game most days of the week with pork thrown in sometimes. Steaks or lamb on Saturdays at those one/two week intervals and sometimes a chuck roast on Sundays.

CWT, boy you hit the nail on the head. First off we had a local so called cattleman go out of business when his grandfather didn't have anymore money, wink so he went to dental school and opened up a dentistry, then a grass fed beef store beside it. Well we all laughed because we figured he was trying to drum up business for him when everybody broke their teeth on grass fed beef, but as you pointed out even a piece of garbage beef can be good if it hangs(ages) long enough. Problem is getting meat inspectors to allow them to hang that long. I know this sounds terrible but if I go to town and even though I have my own beef(which steaks don't last long, why they cost $) I will look at the meat counter and if I see some 30-50% off stuff I always take a look. No red, flipped in package, or just look like [bleep], I take them home and cook em up. Worst I ever saw was some ribeye's that were almost green looking(no [bleep]) and they smelled musty. Cooked them well past my usual rare to me safe and they might have been the best steaks I've ever ate. There are a few high end steak houses in this country and some price the meat to how many days of age. The more they age the more they shrink so the higher per pound but if you get those old nasty things you always pay the most. wink

I might add that the poorer cuts of meat are worse cooked more, so people that like rare steaks can eat the same meat as those that like well done and be happier than the guy with well done. Flat iron steaks are a perfect example, cook em in lots of butter to no more than medium rare there good, cook them to medium well, might as well feed the dog.

Last edited by kansas99; 02/26/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have been buying Choice whole loins from Sams for years. Last couple of years the quality dropped off. Last 4 I have bought have been Prime. They cost more but they have been excellent.

Prime is something that you dream of when you sell cattle and hang(grade for premium) them at the packer, they pay a premium out the azz. The problem for me is I've probably sold 20,000 head to the packers over the years and I don't guess I've had 100 grade prime. cry

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought 6 of these a while back for $5.99/lbs. Were labeled as Choice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obviously the above is not Choice but our normal Choice steaks look like this. I can buy Prime from a store called Fresh Market and do when they go on sale. But I still miss dry aged beef.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
There is getting to be some real high quality grass finished/fat beef out there. Grass "fed" is just marketing.

Proper grass finished is some excellent beef.

They bred the flavor out of pork..........

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buying CAB is a good way to know what your buying is US produced beef. CAB won't always be all Angus beef but should always be US raised beef. Sam's club and Walmart has really stepped up their beef quality. Kroger runs specials on choice beef loin and we've never got a bad one. Here's a trick when it comes to picking out a good strip loin. Buy the one with the softer fat side and it will always be more tender, reason being a cow always lays on the same side and that fat will always be harder and the beef tougher. All beef is good, some is just be than others.
I smoke a beef loin or two for special occasions and it's by far the best beef that anyone has ever tasted. I dry marinate for a day, sear each side, smoke for 4 - 6 hours till internal temperature reaches 110 - 115 and cut the heat, serve in 30 - 45 minutes.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (29aholic, 308xray, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 2500HD, 300_savage, 30 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,186
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.