-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never have just flipped the safety off knowing it will make the click. I do use the finger and thumb to quietly manipulate the safety off safe, no problem, and if game is already spooked it really doesn't matter how you remove the safety.

I do like to glance down and see the safety engaged into it's slot in the cocking piece.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
Never have just flipped the safety off knowing it will make the click. I do use the finger and thumb to quietly manipulate the safety off safe, no problem, and if game is already spooked it really doesn't matter how you remove the safety.

I do like to glance down and see the safety engaged into it's slot in the cocking piece.

g
No need to use the finger and thumb to quietly ease off the Ruger safety. Just push down on the top corner of the safety with your thumb and ease it forward..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is how I do it. Works great.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Windfall
I never gave it a thought until I read your post. The only safety issue that I ever had with my Mk ll was the "click" when I pushed it off that put a nice 8 point into launch mode. It made a simple shot into a tougher one when he stopped in the brush farther out. I've since learned to hold the top of the safety and let it down easily and silently.
Didn't happen according to many of the "experts" here. Deer do not spook due to metallic clicks. But then alot of "experts" are fuggin dummies and aren't really as experienced or knowledgeable as they think they are.

Exactly. It's fake news. The experts here know better.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never had a problem with it. Actually never thought about it until reading this thread.

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve hunted a lot with MkII rifles, never a problem with the size of the safety. In fact, I really don’t want it bigger and risk it catching on stuff.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If you have the time, taking the safety off a 77 isn’t a problem. It’s the need for speed that makes the 77 less than optimum in my opinion. If it was just a tad bit “prouder “ rather than hidden alongside the cocking piece I’d have nary a complaint. It not enough of a problem to get rid of the gun, just a minor annoying (to me) feature.

The time I “clicked” off the safety on the Kimber was on a very close deer that surprised me, literally looked to my left before I was going to take a step and there he was. He wasn’t there 30 seconds before, and I’ll admit I raised the gun a little fast and flicked off the safety a little fast. He got my heart pounding. When (if) I no longer get that excitement before pulling the trigger I’ll quit hunting.

Last edited by Blacktail308; 02/22/20.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Agreed. I cheat the safety by popping it out slightly if I'm expecting a quick shot.

+1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GF1
I’ve hunted a lot with MkII rifles, never a problem with the size of the safety. In fact, I really don’t want it bigger and risk it catching on stuff.

This. The Ruger safety "problem" isn't.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think it could be a bit larger and it certainly has a longer ARC then the M70 safety .

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Rhe Ruger swing safety has never bothered me. Most of the time I have it in the "Fire" position over an empty chamber, which makes the manual of arms the same as my other bolt rifles regardless of safety type - load and fire.

CH & I have discussed this in years past here on the ‘fire’
Some strenuously object but I’m gonna say it again.

IF I’m hunting, ——- Rifle is HOT !
In 60yrs of hunting, quail, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, coyotes, deer, whatever (gun)
NEVER a problem.
YMMV, it doesn’t affect me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Ruger centerfire rifles are predominately original 77s with tang safety, which I really like, but the safety on the MKII and Hawkeye I have are less desirable when hunting in very cold weather. In that weather I hunt with finger mittens, which you could make the point they can be bulky.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Excellent
Excellent
Excellent
good

It is good to see Ruger has the tang safeties on the Ruger American.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Now, which of those safeties block the striker from falling, not just lock the teigger?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Rhe Ruger swing safety has never bothered me. Most of the time I have it in the "Fire" position over an empty chamber, which makes the manual of arms the same as my other bolt rifles regardless of safety type - load and fire.

In 60yrs of hunting, quail, rabbits, squirrels, ducks, coyotes, deer, whatever (gun)
NEVER a problem.

Jerry

Absolutely. I carry a fully loaded gun everyday of my life. I'm not about to switch to an unloaded gun to go hunting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
699 + 1 = 700 . . . . . . . . .there's your answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by jwall

NEVER a problem.

Jerry

Absolutely. I carry a fully loaded gun everyday of my life. I'm not about to switch to an unloaded gun to go hunting.

I have no problem with people that prefer to carry hot. I choose not to for a variety of reasons, as do the rest of my group. From a safety aspect, there is no safer way to carry. From a hunting aspect, I've never lost an animal because I carried empty and if I ever do, oh, well. smile

My CCW weapons are also empty chamber, for which Big Brother, who has carried hot for almost 50 years, gives me no end of grief. But I've never put a round through the floorboards of my car dropping the hammer on a 1911. Empty chamber makes the manual of arms the same for all my CCW weapons, regardless of single or double action, safety up or down to fire. There are advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 02/27/20. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Last edited by GF1; 02/26/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I have no issue with the size.

thats what she said

I knew someone had to have beat me to this 😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
The beloved “Tanger” is the only one of those actions that doesn’t block the striker/hammer. The safety quality is worth having, IMO.

Why don't you come right and say it, the 77 is a piece of crap.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does nobody hunt w the safety in the middle position?

Sticks out plenty far to get ahold of and is still on safe.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.