Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was just watching Alone in the Wilderness about Dick Pronneke's life and wondered about his firearms. I see him carrying an open sighted rife and he mentions his big pistol. Can anyone enlighten me as to his weapons of choice and their cartridges?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks ironbender. Funny in this day and age he referrers to a .357 as his big pistol! Times have changed.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think I read in one of his books he had a 30-06 and a 12g shotgun. On the videos he always had a revolver on his hip.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A 357 is still a big pistol and can do a lot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Great movies and I just ordered the book about his life.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoyed the first book, and the videos. My wife was impressed with the wooden spoon he carved!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hikerbum

Think I “rookie’d” this up and made a 2x quote.

A .357 Mag is a serious pistol cartridge. Wouldn’t be first choice if a Brown Bear was bearing down on me, but my first choice would be to GTFO of there. With proper ammo it’s not as far of a step down from a .44 Mag as one would think.

With any pistol cartridge relating to Brown Bear, you better brain it or kiss your ass goodbye if it’s charging. Hunting, different story but if one is charging you a .357 Mag and proper ammo is as good as a .44 Mag.

I’m not an expert but if carrying strictly for bear protection I’d say go with FMJ. You’ll either cause instant death or not,?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257_Roy

Think I “rookie’d” this up and made a 2x quote.

A .357 Mag is a serious pistol cartridge. Wouldn’t be first choice if a Brown Bear was bearing down on me, but my first choice would be to GTFO of there. With proper ammo it’s not as far of a step down from a .44 Mag as one would think.

With any pistol cartridge relating to Brown Bear, you better brain it or kiss your ass goodbye if it’s charging. Hunting, different story but if one is charging you a .357 Mag and proper ammo is as good as a .44 Mag.

I’m not an expert but if carrying strictly for bear protection I’d say go with FMJ. You’ll either cause instant death or not,?

Well, you admitted you were not an expert so perhaps you should get a pass...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Watched one of his documentaries a few years ago. He was using a Springfield sporter in 30-06. Wonder where it is now.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old Springfield and the 30-06 cartridge were made for one another, they served together reliably in the horrible trench warfare of WWI and WWII battle fields. It's stock trigger is still in or Springfield and works well as it was designed for rough use, unlike many of the so called modern "improved triggers" in many of todays "improved" rifles. Thousands of American hunters then took them after all of our big game animals and Roosevelt took one to Africa. The 30-06 is alive and well and our greatest American hunting cartridge.

I started out hunting Alaska in 1965 with and old Springfield 30-06 my Dad put together for me and it accounted for my first moose and caribou on the same day in 1966. The rifle had to be rebored due to being neglected by a relative when it was out of my hands for about 30 years. I rescued it and is now a 338-06 I gifted to my grandson. Taken care of the rifle will out last generations of hunters and the 30-06 is always suitable for any Alaskan animal with the right load. A smart choice by that savvy old Alaskan sourdough.

I have his book and film and his life reminds me of the same lived by many in Alaska that died of old age in relative obscurity. Had the feds not taken over and locked up so much of Alaska and closed up legal access to remote living for adventurous Alaskans we may have never known much about Dick Pronneke.

Obviously he preferred solitude and God's Creation over city life, I understand that. I don't remember his hand gun and will have to look into that, I'm guessing a S&W model. As for being a .357 and use on bears, well it beats nothing and I doubt he had access to heavy cast LBT style bullets, which are the best choice for frontal shots on bears. Not much difference between the bullet diameter of a .357 and a 9mm, but a hot loaded 200 grain hard cast LBT out of a .357 case is a different deal then about any hot loaded LBT from 9mm.

Renowned Alaskan guide Phil Shoemaker used a Buffalo Bore 9mm load to drop a brown bear. Once again it shows what a knowledgeable shooter can do with a marginal caliber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't think he shot more than a few big game animals in all the years he was there. I think he just enjoyed watching them.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We live in the good old days of bullet technology

Ironbender your googlefu is always strong

Any mention of the loads he used in said firearms?

One of my fave things about Alaska’s Wolfman, good detail on cartridges, grocery lists & game weights

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I try to read Wolfman each winter. It's a great book.

Local tv had a show o the other night about Dick. He was not quite as isolated as the documentary implies. He had regular visits from Babe Allsworth, visits from Jay Hammond. There was a NPS cabin up the lake (1/2 mile?) rangers stayed in, at least in summer. A lot of other information, some of which that was was to me.

https://www.ktva.com/story/41485791/frontiers-194-dick-proenneke-at-home-in-the-wilderness

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

One of my fave things about Alaska’s Wolfman, good detail on cartridges, grocery lists & game weights

A GREAT BOOK!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (1beaver_shooter, 17Fan, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 16gage, 257_X_50, 46 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.