Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think the principle has more than a little merit when it comes to safety. Last I heard Blaser and Sauer are different divisions of the same organization.

Last edited by battue; 02/28/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by battue
I think the principle has more than a little merit when it comes to safety. Last I heard Blaser and Sauer are different divisions of the same organization.

They might be under the same holding company. I agree on the safety aspect of it , just don't like the protruding button in the trigger guard. That said I have not handled one in a long while and it was a 202 which I should have bought because of the Price < 800 and it had a McMillan stock from the factory. looking at pics the 202 has the same safety as the 404.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
According to this, the trigger guard safety has been replaced with what they call the decocker....

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/firearms/rifles/sauer-404

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL, I get it just fine blackie, I just thought that what you said to Idaho Shooter was bullsh** and uncalled for. Your problem is, you don't know what you don't know. You have a very narrow point of view, some might say myopic. Every time a thread like this comes up, you manage to steer the discussion to what you know best, hunting whitetails in thick cover in the northeast. It's like clockwork. Well, I got a news flash for you, everyone everywhere doesn't hunt like you do. It's really common out west to shoot a grouse or two as targets of opportunity, like Idaho. said. It's not frowned upon like it is back east. Bowhunters do it as well as rifle hunters and some will bring an accurate.22 pistol along with a red dot just for that purpose.

You could mention "putting a 6X scope on your grouse gun" to Ia bunch of Idaho big game hunters and 99 out of 100 would think you'd have to be talking about a rifle, and 99% would think you were talking about shooting them on the ground or off a limb, because that's what they do.

Also because it's a totally foreign concept and they'd never seriously consider using a scoped rifle to wing shoot upland birds. And you want to say Idaho is the dummy and tell him to put down the bong.

It is not like he hurt my little feelers. I have been reading Blacky's vitriol for years and know his style well.

I knew full well he was talking shotgun when he wrote "grouse gun". And I was grinning ear to ear when I wrote my response about the '06.

Actually, I have a few folks on ignore, because what they write is typically boorish and distasteful. Occasionally I will peak, out of boredom. Blackie is one of those people. And I was damned bored. I spent seven hours sitting at my desk waiting for three trucks to unload.

So yeah yesterday, out of boredom, I peaked at Blacky's prose. And I, admittedly, poked the hornet's nest. And I got to laugh at the predictable ensueing mayhem.

Sorry!

Actually, on the topic of the OP. If the shooting is not fit for a 6X scope or better, I will be using aperture sights.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well dang Idaho, it's looks like you hooked a double,...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes my apologies to you and thanks for your support.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by buttstock
Wait until someone starts a thread: "What's the draw for a fixed 4x scope?"

Yikes. eek

I'm tempted ... just because. wink

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Because it will cover everything from whitetails in the AR/MO thickets to pronghorn on the WY sage flats to black bear on POW Island, without extra movable internals and power rings to screw with when you should be watching terrain for animals and places to not put your feet down!!!

Because I've done it for 40 years.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well dang Idaho, it's looks like you hooked a double,...... grin

Keeping the thread on topic. (Even Turkeys on the wing) cool

More than a few times I’ve had 20-30 Turkeys take off and glide over me. And it wasn’t all that hard to get one centered in a 6. If it would have been safe, one would have died.

Then I could have sat down on a log, loosened my tie, pulled out my Meerschaum and enjoyed a puff. 🤔

Suggestion only, do as you see fit: When you are fly fishing in Scotland, I would suggest you not use the M80’s that work so well in Colorado.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's the draw for M80's, you might ask? Well, simplicity is one. Fewer moving parts, no need for blasting caps, you just light and throw. Also, they work on everything from half-pound sunfish to 30-lb. Northerns. And they work both up close and far away, you're only limited by how far you can throw 'em. If you tape 'em to a rock, you can hit your targets waaay out there or way down deep. What's not to like?.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You convinced me. Unlike some here who are inflexible and set in their ways, I’m willing to adapt. Like I mentioned previously, if the experts use something specific, then I’m willing to give it consideration.

Thanks for the advice.

You going to fish in a kilt? And I would suggest one of those leather shoulder bags. You can stuff them with a weeks supply of M80’s and still have room for a couple pints of Scotch.

Addition: I have to admit, that was one of your best. 😉🖕🖕🖕🖕

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the draw for M80's, you might ask? Well, simplicity is one. Fewer moving parts, no need for blasting caps, you just light and throw. Also, they work on everything from half-pound sunfish to 30-lb. Northerns. And they work both up close and far away, you're only limited by how far you can throw 'em. If you tape 'em to a rock, you can hit your targets waaay out there or way down deep. What's not to like?.

Crank telephones don't draw quite the audience though......

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

LOL, I get it just fine blackie, I just thought that what you said to Idaho Shooter was bullsh** and uncalled for. Your problem is, you don't know what you don't know. You have a very narrow point of view, some might say myopic. Every time a thread like this comes up, you manage to steer the discussion to what you know best, hunting whitetails in thick cover in the northeast. It's like clockwork. Well, I got a news flash for you, everyone everywhere doesn't hunt like you do. It's really common out west to shoot a grouse or two as targets of opportunity, like Idaho. said. It's not frowned upon like it is back east. Bowhunters do it as well as rifle hunters and some will bring an accurate.22 pistol along with a red dot just for that purpose.

You could mention "putting a 6X scope on your grouse gun" to Ia bunch of Idaho big game hunters and 99 out of 100 would think you'd have to be talking about a rifle, and 99% would think you were talking about shooting them on the ground or off a limb, because that's what they do.

Also because it's a totally foreign concept and they'd never seriously consider using a scoped rifle to wing shoot upland birds. And you want to say Idaho is the dummy and tell him to put down the bong.

It is not like he hurt my little feelers. I have been reading Blacky's vitriol for years and know his style well.

I knew full well he was talking shotgun when he wrote "grouse gun". And I was grinning ear to ear when I wrote my response about the '06.

Actually, I have a few folks on ignore, because what they write is typically boorish and distasteful. Occasionally I will peak, out of boredom. Blackie is one of those people. And I was damned bored. I spent seven hours sitting at my desk waiting for three trucks to unload.

So yeah yesterday, out of boredom, I peaked at Blacky's prose. And I, admittedly, poked the hornet's nest. And I got to laugh at the predictable ensueing mayhem.

Sorry!

Actually, on the topic of the OP. If the shooting is not fit for a 6X scope or better, I will be using aperture sights.
Next time you're so bored' you could get off your lazy dead ass and help unload a truck.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Sorry!

Next time you're so bored' you could get off your lazy dead ass and help unload a truck.

IIRC - He's likely thousands of miles away from the trucks. Owns the company. Average unload time for van freight is around 160 mins right now, I believe. Haven't checked SONAR lately.

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by teal

Sorry!

IIRC - He's likely thousands of miles away from the trucks. Owns the company. Average unload time for van freight is around 160 mins right now, I believe. Haven't checked SONAR lately.
Regardless he could have just kept quiet as his post contributed nothing to the discussion and was never intended to . Smokespoles didn't either but then I've never actually seen him contribute anything useful or insightful to any conversation about hunting or shooting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Smokespoles didn't either but then I've never actually seen him contribute anything useful or insightful to any conversation about hunting or shooting.

That's not surprising. You're one of those rare individuals, no one can tell you anything you don't already know.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Smokespoles didn't either but then I've never actually seen him contribute anything useful or insightful to any conversation about hunting or shooting.

That's not surprising. You're one of those rare individuals, no one can tell you anything you don't already know.
Mainly it's because it would require useful knowledge of the subject and you don't have any.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Sorry!

Your reading comprehension is as limited as your personality. I do unload them, as soon as they hit my dock, and then I reload them. But it is tough to do when they are somewhere in the city 60 miles away.

Average time on my dock is 25 minutes for combination unload and reload. Our lunch and breaks come when the dock is clear. Trucks might wait on other trucks. They do not wait on me or my crew.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just dang glad BH ain't movin to North Carolina. We don't need another cussing, know it all, bitter yankee down here.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

It does appear someone's little feelers did get hurt.

Come on Blacky. Share the laugh. Take it like a man.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,379
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.