Campfire Ranger
D
Big problem with the new Cali patient:

-no known contact with China, visitors, etc. so probably caught in the wild
-hospitalized for a week in an unsecure environment with the "flu"
-moved to UC Davis already intubated and on a ventilator
-was at UC Davis for at least 3 days not in full containment area
-our American govt refused to allow him to be tested for COVID
-he was finally tested this past Sunday for COVID over a week after being hospitalized
-our American govt just announced Wednesday that he was positive
-he was then placed under full disease containment including airborne
-UC Davis has put staff on quarantine and home monitoring

Our own govt was sandbagging us for a few days now. It becomes obvious now why SanFran pulled a state of emergency on Tuesday--they already knew it was spreading in the wild.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No chance Blodget (Business Insider) is less than 3/4 left of center.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There is much ignorance and suckering for fear mongers going on.

The market was looking for an excuse for correction.

82,000 cases compared against the population of China.. oh wow and boy howdy

Mortality rates based on known infections and not including asymptomatic infections.

Might be a good idea to get some hard data and interpret what it means before more global panic.

Sure this could get worse but does not have to.

But then again, the DNC and a run on canned goods might save you.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
So the low standard of healthcare in China has nothing to do with higher death rates vs the US?

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by stxhunter
no worse than the regular flu

No....it's worse. I quoted this earlier. This is based on numbers reported by China...if you think those numbers are accurate:

Overall numbers to death:
Flu: ~0.1% death rate in past...this season only at 0.05%
COVID-19: ~2.9%....numbers broken down below

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Death rate
So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Even so, the death rate for COVID-19 varied by location and an individual’s age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Well, the death rate is between 10 and 100x worse than influenza. But other than that...no worries I suppose.

Ah no it is not. My Dr and I discussed it there is a 99.9 percent cure rate on people under 62.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by lostleader
There is much ignorance and suckering for fear mongers going on.

The market was looking for an excuse for correction.

82,000 cases compared against the population of China.. oh wow and boy howdy

Mortality rates based on known infections and not including asymptomatic infections.

Might be a good idea to get some hard data and interpret what it means before more global panic.

Sure this could get worse but does not have to.

But then again, the DNC and a run on canned goods might save you.

They might have 82000 people in an apartment building over there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Don't pay attention to your DR as we have so many highly trained and educated virologists, microbiologists and disease experts now on the fire.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Well, the death rate is between 10 and 100x worse than influenza. But other than that...no worries I suppose.

Ah no it is not. My Dr and I discussed it there is a 99.9 percent cure rate on people under 62.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ribka
Don't pay attention to your DR as we have so many highly trained and educated virologists, microbiologists and disease experts now on the fire.

Yeah what would this 32 year old punk who graduated top in his class at Wake Forest know about medicine? They have crap medical facilities inn China .

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i thought trump looked unusually low key in his address yesterday

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sse
i thought trump looked unusually low key in his address yesterday

He did and he did say he would spend the appropriate money something the stupid communists denied the next day.

IC B3

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Is this thing really any worse than swine or bird flu? I feel like its a nasty cold with a lot of media hype.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Trump is trying to prevent a panic and the market crash that would follow. He re-election depends on a strong market

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Ive worked in China. You spend much time over there?

Yeah what would this 32 year old punk who graduated top in his class at Wake Forest know about medicine? They have crap medical facilities inn China .

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

You and your good doc need to brush up on statistics a bit. What are you going to do with all of the people over age 62? I mean the octogenarians especially, you know, the ones with the over 15% death rate. Or the septuagenarians, with the over 8% death rate.

And no one is "cured" of a virus.

Oh, by the way, given your original selective statistic, it would still be at least 10x more of a killer than influenza on average in the under-62 age group.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by OAM
Is this thing really any worse than swine or bird flu? I feel like its a nasty cold with a lot of media hype.

It is worse than a cold or the influenza, if any of the numbers are close to correct.

Rnaught well above 2 (actually over 2.5) everywhere it has manifested; death rate consistently over 2% (actually over 2.5%), unusually long incubation period. That would put it on the order almost exactly of the 1918 Spanish influenza that killed 50 million back then.

If COVID19 can run the table without being slowed/contained, then there will be a larger-than-anything-else bunch of deaths. 98% of the population on average will fight it off and gain immunity (hopefully, not proven yet); the other 2% will die (concentrated in the oldest population).

China claims to have gotten it under control with declining infection rates. That is a highly-unlikely claim. They probably simply quit testing for it with the actual test kit which is in short supply around the world and is known to have very high false negative readings.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OAM

It is worse than a cold or the influenza, if any of the numbers are close to correct.

Rnaught well above 2 (actually over 2.5) everywhere it has manifested; death rate consistently over 2% (actually over 2.5%), unusually long incubation period. That would put it on the order almost exactly of the 1918 Spanish influenza that killed 50 million back then.

If COVID19 can run the table without being slowed/contained, then there will be a larger-than-anything-else bunch of deaths. 98% of the population on average will fight it off and gain immunity (hopefully, not proven yet); the other 2% will die (concentrated in the oldest population).

China claims to have gotten it under control with declining infection rates. That is a highly-unlikely claim. They probably simply quit testing for it with the actual test kit which is in short supply around the world and is known to have very high false negative readings.

There comes a time when you gotta just say [bleep] it and let people think what they're going to think lol. We'll all have our truth here real shortly.

You can lead a horse...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the low standard of healthcare in China has nothing to do with higher death rates vs the US?

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

No....it's worse. I quoted this earlier. This is based on numbers reported by China...if you think those numbers are accurate:

Overall numbers to death:
Flu: ~0.1% death rate in past...this season only at 0.05%
COVID-19: ~2.9%....numbers broken down below

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

Death rate
So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

Even so, the death rate for COVID-19 varied by location and an individual’s age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date.

Perhaps less health care than bad air? ( China is famous for that)
Or perhaps compounded by air and health care?

Something I read yesterday I said that respiratory capacity is the Key to surviving...

Is smoking still more prevalent in China than the U.S.?

Their statistics say 99.4 survival rate to 69yo or 79yo..
So better if you live in a rural environment in the U.S. ? That could easily bump it to 99.9%

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Their air is horrendous. 40% of Chinese males smoke tobacco. There is a possibility (though unlikely) that East Asian males have more of certain lung receptors that COVID19 can infect. Their sanitation overall is much worse than here.

Put it all together, and maybe we can be at a 99.9% recovery rate. Awesome! Still 10x worse than influenza given that best scenario.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
one thing is for sure...within the next 2-3 weeks we'll have a better idea of what we face in the US, because it works extremely fast. if by then all 50 states have cases with rapidly growing numbers, hang on.

on the positive side, there has been speculation that it is already settling down in China, and if true, would do so quickly here in the States. Of course, that is kinda hard to believe, and could be false.

Last edited by sse; 02/28/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One thing to keep in mind:
We really don't know that the #'s given by China are truthful.
There could have been many more deaths than what they show but on the other hand there could have also been many more that were infected and survived.
Factual #'s could skew the death rate in either direction.

FJB & FJT
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,436
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.