Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Since we bought our farm in 1983 and drilled a well, I haven't had to worry about a water or sewer bill- - - - -got a well and a septic system! However- - - - - -I've also become my own waterworks, plumber and electrician. Why does the pump pressure switch ALWAYS pick a cold, wet night to fail? I got it going temporarily a few minutes ago, but the first stop in the morning is going to be Home Depot to buy a new switch. I usually buy two, since it's 20 miles to the nearest supplier, but I guess I used the spare the last time this happened! Even with the hassles, I'll bet I'm still money ahead over paying some municipal water system every time I flush a turd!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You must need a bath like nobody before.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just made a payment on my water system. Installed a new pressure tank and water softener. The softener is a Iron Pro KDF-85 type. The final result is 0.0 hardness, 0.0 Iron, 154 ppm tds.

Last edited by MM879; 02/27/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is causing the pressure switch to go out? Usually they last for years and years. If mine has a problem, all I have to do is clean the contact points with a fine file and it's good to go.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No water bill here either.....................

but the more water we use, the more we pay for electricity............which ain't bad considering our Rural Electrical Co-op has the cheapest rates in the State.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
A 4" hole through 300 feet of limestone means I don't need any sort of Calcium supplement in my multivitamins!
LOL!
Jerry

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
What is causing the pressure switch to go out? Usually they last for years and years. If mine has a problem, all I have to do is clean the contact points with a fine file and it's good to go.

Ditto so far,

And get the odd spider web out.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Air bladder is probably bad if your switch is firing all the time, hence burning out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
What is causing the pressure switch to go out? Usually they last for years and years.

Mine average about 5 years each. I'm not such a cheapskate that I can't afford 15 bucks for a new one rather than file the points and wonder when it's going to fail again- - - - -on another cold, wet night! Got a new bladder tank, less than 2 years old, and the pressure is correct.
Jerry

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My water bill averages about $25/month. It ain't breaking the bank. But having a well is the only option where my mother in law lives.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About $500.. a year for sewer/water where I live. Take a long time to pay for a well and septic system. And I have paid for one 40 years ago.

G
G
I get on average 5 years out of a pressure switch, hell I can remember my grandpa getting 15 years out of one.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My house is on town water, and the quality is excellent. My house is right by the largest fresh water supply in the world. My ranch has a well and septic. The pressure and table is excellent.

I really enjoy the convenience of city water but I also like the freedom of my own water supply. It’s a toss up.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I built my place in '06, the Franklin subdrive system was just coming of age.
This is a system with no external pressure tank, no switch, no fuss. It's all in the well casing.

Recommend to everyone that desires an incredibly unobtrusive, uber-efficient well system.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It may be that our switch is sending a lemming message to the snails here. The little armored slugs get in the gap and short it out.

It is always interesting to be your own plumber, electrician and general contractor. Ahh, yes, the life in the rural lane. There are many good reasons that it is not for everybody.

Replaced the kitchen faucet this weekend, thanks to the calcium and magnesium in the well water. No water bill is nice. Remind me next month.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m about to hookup to a well. It’s the best tasting water!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I kinda figure my electric bill is partially my water bill.

Probably about the only way to be truly water bill free would be to have a windmill on your well atop a hill, that feeds a cistern atop the same hill, that gravity feed your needs. House, barn, whatever....
Few of those places around here that still operate like that, but very few.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We were getting bovine fecal coli form bact in our shallow well. (It was a dug spring). That; and my wife’s dumbass cousins were washing their Iroc-Z camaros every day during the warm months. Kept pulling the water down during dry times

There were 5 families on that well.

I had to get me some of that city water brought down the highway

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got to watch out for them water snakes with wells.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
The neighbor half a mile down the road has a truly "no cost" water system. His spring is 75 vertical feet uphill from his house, with a storage tank just below the rock outcrop where the water runs out and enough gravity flow to pressurize his plumbing. There's a small spring on our place at approximately the same elevation, but I've never gone to the effort to install the catch tank and 300 yards of pipe that it would need to supply the house.
Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 62 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.