Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You said... "I spent seven hours sitting at my desk waiting for three trucks to unload". Makes it sound as if you sat there for seven hours waiting for someone to unload three trucks. If you wished to express yourself more clearly you might have put it more like this......... " I spent seven hours sitting at my desk waiting for three trucks to arrive so I could unload them"..... My comprehension isn't as poor as your communication skills.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by smokepole

Smokespoles didn't either but then I've never actually seen him contribute anything useful or insightful to any conversation about hunting or shooting.

That's not surprising. You're one of those rare individuals, no one can tell you anything you don't already know.
Mainly it's because it would require useful knowledge of the subject and you don't have any.

Not true blackie!! I have useful knowledge on many subjects. Why, here's some valuable advice I gave on this very thread:

PS when you find yourself calling multiple people "[bleep]" simultaneously, chances are good that it ain't the other people....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
I think the principle has more than a little merit when it comes to safety. Last I heard Blaser and Sauer are different divisions of the same organization.

Along with Mauser.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
Think you could have pulled it off if he was an immature WT Buck???? He should have been smaller....

Lol - indeed. My point was.......the large buck I shot, filled up more of the scope at 15 yds, and it worked fine. Nothing but deer hide was in the scope, but it centered the front shoulder........no handicap using a 6x close in, on deer, if not running, IME.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Certainly not a serious reply. Should have sent in the smiley. 😀

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Smokespoles didn't either but then I've never actually seen him contribute anything useful or insightful to any conversation about hunting or shooting.

That's not surprising. You're one of those rare individuals, no one can tell you anything you don't already know.
Mainly it's because it would require useful knowledge of the subject and you don't have any.

Not true blackie!! I have useful knowledge on many subjects. Why, here's some valuable advice I gave on this very thread:

PS when you find yourself calling multiple people "[bleep]" simultaneously, chances are good that it ain't the other people....
When it comes to shooting/guns and hunting you'd do well to STFU and listen rather than trying to give advice.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I do a lot of listening blackie, a lot more than I post. I just don't put up with your bullsh*t, and there ain't anything I can learn from a one-trick pony like you.

I grew up hunting the eastern woods and thickets for whitetails. It was fun but it ain't the holy grail.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LOL, I do a lot of listening blackie, a lot more than I post. I just don't put up with your bullsh*t, and there ain't anything I can learn from a one-trick pony like you.

I grew up hunting the eastern woods and thickets for whitetails. It was fun but it ain't the holy grail.

Well now shyt for brains I do have more experience than most here killing whitetails. Quite possibly more than anyone else in this thread with over 200 kills to my credit with rifle, shotgun, bow, muzzleloader and handgun. When I talk about deer hunting, I know of what I speak. Perhaps with 2 years behind the counter of a retail gun shop, 4 years general gunsmithing, 7 years building custom 1911's, 4 years shooting competitively and 42 years of reloading experience under my belt, I might know a thing or two about guns and how to use them too. Like I said, you'd be best off to just STFU and take notes rather than giving advice you insignificant little piece of shyt.

Last edited by Blackheart; 02/29/20.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Have you seen the first pic posted of a deer he killed, a rifle or any kind of firearm he owns or one of his pretend shooting trophies? He is a Fraud and not worthy of anyone paying him any attention. Yet he has idiots following him. I have him on permanent ignore, I am not wrestling with a pig.

His deranged personality is the east coast version of Stick except Stick actually does more in one day then he BH has done in his entire miserable existence.

Another thread ruined by a Jackass.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have you seen the first pic posted of a deer he killed, a rifle or any kind of firearm he owns or one of his pretend shooting trophies? He is a Fraud and not worthy of anyone paying him any attention. Yet he has idiots following him. I have him on permanent ignore, I am not wrestling with a pig.

His deranged personality is the east coast version of Stick except Stick actually does more in one day then he BH has done in his entire miserable existence.

Another thread ruined by a Jackass.

Sometime after you've spent 11 years earning a living building and repairing guns, you might be able to teach me something. Until then highly doubtful. I'm never not amazed at hobbyists who think they know more than the pro's. I bet you think you know more about automobiles than your mechanic and more about medicine than your doctor's too.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When I talk about deer hunting, I know of what I speak.

When you talk about whitetail deer hunting in the northeastern US. That's what you know and that's why you steer every thread toward that narrow perspective. BFD, and congratulations. It ain't all about you, and how you hunt.

Go back, search the entire internet, and try to find anything you can where I've expounded on whitetail deer hunting in the northeast, or offered advice on it. It's not all that interesting to me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Definitely a lot of places, and game, that are looked upon as destinations and quarry of desire.
Sure the 6x makes for an effective and lightweight pack rifle option in the mountains for ungulates.
But I'd gather that most who build rifles specifically for dangerous game in Africa or Alaska are mounting something different, with a lower magnification than a fixed 6 offers.
And more than a few desert, plains, and mountain hunters likely prefer the option of a few more x's.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No doubt about it. Any tool you can name that's versatile and can be used in a lot of different situations won't be ideal for applications at each end of the spectrum.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No doubt about it. Any tool you can name that's versatile and can be used in a lot of different situations won't be ideal for applications at each end of the spectrum.

A 6x is probably ideal for a lightweight backpack hunting rifle where longer shots are the norm.
Certainly a beautifully simplistic tool.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Well said.

On an all-purpose big game rifle a 6x will do everything it needs to do “well enough” even if a relatively few things perfectly.

Life is about trade offs.

The fact that this Gen Xer can run counter to Cumminscowboy makes it almost perfect. Icing on the cake...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

When you talk about whitetail deer hunting in the northeastern US. That's what you know and that's why you steer every thread toward that narrow perspective. BFD, and congratulations. It ain't all about you, and how you hunt.

Go back, search the entire internet, and try to find anything you can where I've expounded on whitetail deer hunting in the northeast, or offered advice on it. It's not all that interesting to me.
I didn't steer it that way at all. Others here posted that they'd used a fixed 6 for everything from 500 yards to running game at 10 yards and never found it lacking. I simply pointed out that it wasn't a good choice for running game at close range in cover, which I know very well to be fact. There are better choices for still hunting, tracking and driving in heavy cover.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Maybe the joy of a fixed 6X........its about the limit for most folks offhand?
If hunting open country .............why not?

Binos of 8 or 10X, don't need lots of scope mag.

I've shot movers in thick stuff w fixed 4x.
Like a little less mag.

2-7X hard to beat IMHO.

Buddy put a 6X on his BLR .243 for yotes.
Said he doesn't like it as he calls em in close, in timber.
Too much according to him.
Fields he likes it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Lots of people love a 3-9X.
They are useful.

But some folks will be at 9X when a buck jumps up close.

A fixed 6X is what it is, what it will always be, and is right in the middle.

Like somebody else said, everything is a compromise.
Bet some folks can use a fixed 6 over a wider range of applications than others.

Some are gonna flub it no matter what they have.

Personally, I think a fixed 6x of some brands/models is just a nice looking scope.
And yeah, some rifles are prettier than others.

I aint into ugly chicks that can cook either.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I didn't steer it that way at all. Others here posted that they'd used a fixed 6 for everything from 500 yards to running game at 10 yards and never found it lacking. I simply pointed out that it wasn't a good choice for running game at close range in cover, which I know very well to be fact. There are better choices for still hunting, tracking and driving in heavy cover.

No one uses a fixed 6x around here that I’ve personally seen. Usually it’s a 3-9 ,4-12 ,fixed 4x ,or simply an iron sighted 30-30 lever action. An extremely high number of deer here are killed less than 100 yards away. A bunch of those are less than 50 yards as there is so much woodland and thickets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of these were shot with 6x42 scopes except for one and it was a variable set on 6x. All were moving except one. All but one were in woods. A 6x will work in most situations. Yes, if you want to shoot driven or dogged deer that are hauling tail I think a lower power with wide field of view will be better...but to me, that's a specific application. I really don't care to use a scope below 4x in the woods due to it being harder to pick up small limbs and twigs when threading needles......I don't care much for more than 6x in the woods because the view seems to tight. 6x is just right for me and I prefer 6x for all around. The view is always the same, the reticle is always the same, the eye relief is always the same, the exit pupil is always the same.....I'm not arguing against variables, but a 6x scope has a lot of draws to it for me.

[Linked Image]

This one was at about 6 steps from me when I shot him.

[Linked Image]

This was a variable set on 6x.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 01Foreman400, 79S, 9 invisible), 928 guests, and 839 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,096
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.