Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by auk1124
I never thought Silence of the Lambs was scary at all, don't know why it makes these lists. More of a suspense movie than a horror story to me.

Exorcist is no. 1. Poltergeist is way up there. John Carpenter's version of The Thing ought to make these lists, excellent monster movie.

'Silence Of The Lambs' is scary because it makes you realize there "may" be people out there who are capable of such evil deeds. Most others are about making you jump out of your seat by surprising you and shouting "boo".

There ain't no "may" to it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I must be a sociopath, never had a “scary movie” cause emotional disturbance.

Now, those guys that filmed and free-climbed El Capitan creeps me out.

Reminds me of my father. My brother and I were in awe of him growing up vis a vis scary movies. He was like a rock. Nothing on the screen ever seemed to scare or shock him.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There were a couple of low budget movies in the 1970s or '80s about cannibal families or couples who appeared to be ordinary middle class people to the general public, but always maintained a large walk in freezer full of human meat. Those were gruesome, and sometimes scary. Not sure if it was one movie or two that I'm remembering. One scene was where they'd cut their victims' tongues out, tie them up, and bury them in the garden, only exposing their heads, as if a row of cabbage heads.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Haunting and The Sentinel ( 1977) movie.
Both made my skin crawl.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Lots of good movies mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned Se7en.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by whodat
The Haunting and The Sentinel ( 1977) movie.
Both made my skin crawl.

Just watched The Sentinel trailer. Looks scary.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mudstud

Lots of good movies mentioned, but I don't think anyone mentioned Se7en.

Is that the "What's in the BOX?" movie?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
V/H/S is scary as all get out. The first short movie with the girl they bring back to the hotel room....dont want to be those guys no matter how good she looks

Blair Witch was scary because it was before the internet got big, They also pumped it up by having documentaries on the blair witch on tv before the move actually came out. Only movie I've been to where we sat on the floor because all seats were full, and the firemarshall had to come in.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Exorcist, I'm Catholic too. The 1987 movie Breakdown with Kurt Russell probably because it was such a plausible story line, like that could really happen, that one seemed to really bother me.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
The Exorcist, I'm Catholic too. The 1987 movie Breakdown with Kurt Russell probably because it was such a plausible story line, like that could really happen, that one seemed to really bother me.

Yeah, Breakdown was great. About a serial murderer coming upon Kurt Russell and his wife after a breakdown on the highway. What's so scary about it is that the serial killer looks to the world like a regular guy with a wife and kids.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by auk1124
I never thought Silence of the Lambs was scary at all, don't know why it makes these lists. More of a suspense movie than a horror story to me.

Exorcist is no. 1. Poltergeist is way up there. John Carpenter's version of The Thing ought to make these lists, excellent monster movie.

'Silence Of The Lambs' is scary because it makes you realize there "may" be people out there who are capable of such evil deeds. Most others are about making you jump out of your seat by surprising you and shouting "boo".

There ain't no "may" to it.

For me, as an adult and parent, the original, early '70s "B" movie, Last House on the Left, meets the, ain't no "may" criteria, as well, and was the single most disturbing movie I've ever saw and still is.

As a kid the two truly "scariest" movies I remember most were, Black Sunday - AKA - The Mask of Satan (1960), and, The Tingler (1959).

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30 Days of Night

Vampire-like creatures invade a small town above the arctic circle. Dawn ain't coming anytime soon.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Seven days in May.
The Grapes of wrath.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pahick
9 yrs old. Parents didnt allow horror movies. Went to a friends and watched Salems Lot. Done! Never saw a true horror movie again besides a few clips here and there. Couple yrs ago moved woman in, she got some movies together, I grabbed some grub. Sit down and Saw was coming on. Screw that! Psycho bitch! She moved on quick like.

Forgot about that one. Fn a it's scary

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slasher movies don't do anything for me.

Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I've always thought that most horror movies could be brought to an abrupt end with an ought-6.

Yep. Heck a couple of moderately bright folks with a snub-nosed revolver for 75% of them.

Most of those movies have what is called an "idiot plot," where the polt only works if EVERYONE is a flipping idiot.

Originally Posted by Crow hunter
John Carpenter's The Thing was up there. There's also a snake movie from the '70's called SSSSSSSS that gave me nightmares for years.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
What about The Thing from the 1980s?

Saw Carpenter's The Thing as a kid. That one gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Exorcist...at the drive in...scared the [bleep] out of me and my girl!

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Exorcist. There was a definite presence felt in that theater...

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
remember watching Halloween at the drive inn, my buddy had a black trench coat and manican head he put it on with that head sticking out the top and walked to cars and leaned done looking in the window lol scared the chit out of people.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Scream.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 3,236 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.