Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CraigC
Wow, is this a PETA forum? I was alerted by JFS that this video was still causing a ruckus. A little perspective is needed but I shouldn't have to explain.

First and foremost, this is a personal vendetta for John Parker. He cares not for the truth, only his agenda. Remember that when you read his rhetoric and don't fall for the bullshit. I don't know why he has a hard-on for me but it's getting to be embarrassing. I reckon he has nothing better to do.

Secondly, as was stated, this is a live bullet test. The buffalo was dead on its feet after the first two shots, really the first shot. Which broke its shoulder, punched a large hole in the heart, made mush of the lungs and made it all the way to the hide on the far side. It took a minute and a half for it to lay down. Don't we shoot everything else once and let it run off to die? Waiting a half hour for it to expire? I didn't pay $3000 to shoot a water buffalo twice. We pursued it to test more bullets, because that's what we're there for. The only difference here is that instead of waiting a half hour for it to bleed out, we went after it, shot it as many times as possible and filmed it.

Third, buffalo aren't deer. They don't fall over when you shoot them. They run. Their low heart rate and blood pressure allows them to absorb punishment and stay on their feet.

Lastly, the bullets performed superbly. The only thing missing here is perspective and that is clearly lacking. If this really had been a SNAFU, I wouldn't have posted it. That said, I'm not going to get into a back & forth over it.

Parker, do you have the hots for me or something? Is it because you haven't done anything with a handgun in 30yrs and the effect of the same five pictures you post over and over again is wearing off?

Torturing that poor animal to death. WOW

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why don't you do something productive with your retirement? I know you haven't done anything with a handgun in decades but this idiotic agenda to bring down your former friends is not going to make you relevant or help you feel any better. It just makes you look like a deranged lunatic who needs to start a club with that buffoon Jim Miner. You two have a lot in common. Are you a drunk too???

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Didn't know this was CraigC's work...….the dots start to connect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't give a schit whose "work" it is and Craig could use a bit of common sense and not post such a video in a public venue with access by everyone Tom, Dick and Harry.

Last edited by FAIR_CHASE; 02/28/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Why is that? Because we followed the critter and shot it more than once, rather than just letting it die? Do you think one or two bullets provides as much information as 10-12? If we had waited 15mins it would've been dead with no blood pressure and it wouldn't have been as meaningful a bullet test. I mean, you do realize that we're killing something here and doing it as quickly as possible??? If you have no issues with bow hunting, you should have no issues with this.

What exactly is wrong with it, specifically?

I obviously used enough gun and the right bullet, judging by the postmortem. They broke major supportive bones and destroyed the vitals, so no issues with the cartridge/bullet used.

Shot placement was perfect, so no issues there.

So is it the fact that it was shot multiple times? The fact that I filmed it? Or the fact that I uploaded it to YouTube?

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had to check out the full length version.

A legal commercialized livestock shoot......sold as 'hunting'. Bunch of fat dudes traipsing along with more go-pro's than guns, jibber-jabbering nonstop until they run the livestock up to the fence, then put 12 rounds all over one. Followed by high-fives for great shooting, and a one-shot kill.

Amazing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What video are you watching? You're apparently seeing what you want to see, or what Parker wants you to see.

1. Water buffalo are not livestock. They don't like being hunted and are more likely to charge than Cape buffalo. They certainly don't stand around waiting to be shot.

2. It's not sold as "hunting". It is seen for what it is, nothing more, nothing less. It's a live bullet test under conditions that are as close to hunting as possible, without spending $15,000. Do you want to hunt Cape buffalo with something based on theory? Or something you've seen actually work in the field?

3. Fat dudes? How old are you?

4. All over one? My first two shots were placed perfectly while the buffalo was in a trot, then a dead run. All subsequent shots were placed into the shoulder and spread around a little so as not to hammer the same spot into hamburger. Because it was a bullet test.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Craig, you've always come across as a guy with a lot of good knowledge on the big revolvers. At the same time, you always come across as a bit of a condescending know-it-all. Your buffalo shooting vids just add another perspective.

I always gave you the benefit of the doubt, and still do.

I don't know anything about the dustup between you and JWP, hopefully you can both get past it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Craig, you are very full of yourself and which you have proven to be full of BS. This would be one of those threads where I would feel my IQ dropping if I continue to read/comment. Bye

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Seems reasonable that something that big would take awhile to die even with perfect placement and adequate penetration. If that’s not acceptable neither is bow hunting ever.

But I probably wouldn’t post it on YouTube for the world to see.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's something to be learned in just about everything.

That type of situation might end badly for the shooter on a more aggressive beast like a cape buff.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

That type of situation might end badly for the shooter on a more aggressive beast like a cape buff.

They’d have better backup in that scene.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Seems reasonable that something that big would take awhile to die even with perfect placement and adequate penetration. If that’s not acceptable neither is bow hunting ever.

But I probably wouldn’t post it on YouTube for the world to see.

Exactly! They don't even leave a blood trail. I've seen videos of buffalo hit several times with a .577 rifle and they still ran off.

Here's the thing, JWP's tirade started a year or more before I processed the video and posted it. Like some of the rhetoric here, it was based on third hand information from people who weren't there. The videos were posted to prove JWP's claims as false, which they did. He's still clinging to his argument because he's committed to it. I honestly don't care.

JWP's vendetta is old. I've proven him wrong time and again and he cannot accept it. The three bovines I've taken in Hondo, TX proved it. All his conclusions were made 30yrs ago on limited information but he thinks it is gospel and not to be questioned. He has made enemies of most of his friends by his own doing and probably belongs in a mental institution. This forum is the only soapbox he has left.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Cape buffalo have a herd mentality and despite the rhetoric, are less likely to charge. We've had several at this ranch that charge the feed truck as it goes by. Don't get me wrong, it ain't Africa but contrary to what many seem to believe, water buffalo are not like domestic cattle.

And every person in our party was armed with a big bore revolver capable of stopping a charge. I don't know why some seem to think it's amateur hour out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That was my thought.

I have never seen an animal soak up punishment like that.

Had it been charging, would the shooter been able to stop it? Disabling it looked like it would've been the only recourse, that rascal wasn't going to die for anybody.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So is it the fact that it was shot multiple times? The fact that I filmed it? Or the fact that I uploaded it to YouTube?

Yeah, all of those.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Seems like the kind of animal the .375 H&H Magnum was made for rather than any handgun. Maybe it's just me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Craig, you are very full of yourself and which you have proven to be full of BS. This would be one of those threads where I would feel my IQ dropping if I continue to read/comment. Bye

Put yourself in my shoes. I spent about $7000 on that trip. Not as a hunt of a lifetime but to gather information before a hunt of a lifetime. I did all that to test bullets on real critters, closely approximating what would happen on a Cape buffalo hunt. I had a great time with friends. The bullets I had high hopes for performed beautifully. My shooting was right on. I actually shot the second buffalo just to donate the meat to Texas flood relief that year. So all in all, it was a fantastic experience. Then this petty a$$hole John Parker goes on the warpath and does everything in his power to spoil the whole thing, FOR NEARLY THREE YEARS! He has slandered me, my friends and anything associated over a petty personal disagreement. Not because he has some moral or philosophical problem with what happened. Make no mistake, this has nothing to do with what happened in the video. Had he been there and everything was cool between us, he would've been high fiving with the rest of us (which we don't do but I digress).

You guys don't know this but Parker threatened to drive to Hondo JUST to kick my ass, over a petty argument on this very forum. Think about the mental stability of someone who'd make that threat and mean it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Seems like the kind of animal the .375 H&H Magnum was made for rather than any handgun. Maybe it's just me.

I would consider the .375 a downgrade.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Yeah, all of those.

So you would've been okay had I shot it the first time and just let it run off to die? So you're okay with it happening, you just don't want to see it?

Are you okay with JWP going on a 3yr tirade telling the world that I had to shoot a water buffalo 20 times to kill it, based on something someone who wasn't even there told him? Because I don't recall any resistance when that happened.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.