Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AAAOA Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a remington r51 as my first carry gun. Experiences seems to be torn between it being wonderful or a disaster and most reviews are 3+ years old. Does anyone have any experience with the newer production r51?

For me, the price is right and it falls right in between cool weird gun and modern conceal carry weapon. If the reliability is actually there, I'd love to pick one up as my second consideration is a sig 365xl and for the price difference I could buy a couple hundred rounds of ammo, a holster, and a CCW class.

What do you all think? Any experience with newer production r51 pistols? Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want one to pass on to your kid so they can say they have an example of a colossal F-up from the company formerly known as Remington go ahead.

To defend your life, NO, just plain NO. And it's operating system being different than what is used in most other semi-autos. How is that a good thing? I'd think tried and true would be better if my life is on the line. John Browning's tilt barrel concept is well established, no reason to pass it up.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/29/20.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Junk. Spend the extra money. I would think that your life is worth a couple hundred extra, ain't it?

Last edited by UPhiker; 02/29/20.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why buy a handgun from a company that has proven they don't understand how to make a quality product?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
If you want something “weird”, get an old Makarov in 9mm Mak. Otherwise, get a cheap Ruger (if you wanna go “budget”) or spend the $$ and get the Sig. Yes, the Sig is a bit pricey, but it comes with night sights, which is a $100-$125 upgrade on most other guns.

Why Remington CAN’T bring back guns like the Nylon 66 or the Marlin 39, but can spend MILLIONS R&D’ing duds like the R51, etc, is beyond me...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I wanted American-made defense handgun I would buy SR9C with stainless slide.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It should be in the 10 Commandments for Defensive Carry.

Thou shalt not carry any handgun made by Remington, for they are abominations and will get you killed, especially the r51.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/29/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only modern Remington handgun I would consider is R1911. Strong competition comes form Springfield Armory and Ruger.

A
AAAOA Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Thou shalt not carry any handgun made by Remington, for they are abominations and will get you killed, especially the r51.

Lol, that's a good one.

Honestly, the short version as to why I am considering the r51 is that I'm a hipster don't have enough money to be a hipster.

The long version is that I only have enough money for one handgun so I don't have the resources to get a cool collectable and a boring, dead nuts reliable carry gun like a glock (sorry not sorry). I'd like to split the difference to whatever is reasonable and a lot of the more recent gen 2 reviews of the gun have been positive outside of takedown not being as simple as a glock or 1911. It seems that Remington finally, sort of, has it together and it seems more reasonable than it did a few years ago. The reputation of the gun, however, still isn't good due to the past.

I may need to check out a makarov, but the hollow point tests I've seen didn't show any expansion.

Thanks for all the feedback guys

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taurus G2C 9mm Compact
Meat and potatoes for about $215.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
First generation LCP.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Check for used Springfield 1911 models. It sounds like the Range Officer version would be right up
your alley. If not the Springfield XD would certainly work. The price might be a bit higher but having the
reliability is worth something.

Only buy the Remington product if you feel you can knock the guy out the first time you throw the handgun at him.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by AAAOA
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Lol, that's a good one.

Honestly, the short version as to why I am considering the r51 is that I'm a hipster don't have enough money to be a hipster.

The long version is that I only have enough money for one handgun so I don't have the resources to get a cool collectable and a boring, dead nuts reliable carry gun like a glock (sorry not sorry). I'd like to split the difference to whatever is reasonable and a lot of the more recent gen 2 reviews of the gun have been positive outside of takedown not being as simple as a glock or 1911. It seems that Remington finally, sort of, has it together and it seems more reasonable than it did a few years ago. The reputation of the gun, however, still isn't good due to the past.

I may need to check out a makarov, but the hollow point tests I've seen didn't show any expansion.

Thanks for all the feedback guys

If you want cool, collectible and reliable, how about a CZ 82 in 9x18, or a Star BM, Tokarev, Browning High Power

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have zero experience with them, but have heard that they got the bugs worked out and they are now pretty decent. But I'm still waiting for feedback from the public on the newer ones. I'm not in the market for any handguns but was wondering if they got them straightened out. Just curious as to the question of will that thing survive after that colossal screw up of an introduction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get a used LEO glock from AIM surplus.

done deal.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am a retired policeman who now works behind a gun counter. Do NOT buy the R51. Do NOT worry about expansion, or the lack thereof, in a Makarov. Penetration kills. If every penny matters, buy a Taurus G2C. If you can hold out, and save your coins, buy a used Glock. Do not be afraid of a used, Smith and Wesson revolver, if it suits you. Seek out instruction. If I can help in any way, let me know.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I am a retired policeman who now works behind a gun counter. Do NOT buy the R51. Do NOT worry about expansion, or the lack thereof, in a Makarov. Penetration kills. If every penny matters, buy a Taurus G2C. If you can hold out, and save your coins, buy a used Glock. Do not be afraid of a used, Smith and Wesson revolver, if it suits you. Seek out instruction. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Taurus, see you like meat and taters too.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
The only modern Remington handgun I would consider is R1911. Strong competition comes form Springfield Armory and Ruger.

I have that one and like it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Basically, buy any other handgun beside the R51 and you will come out ahead both in personal safety and in resale value.

Heck, a High Point C9 Compact is a proven reliable handgun.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
AAAOA, where do you live? Cabelas has some great sales.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 6 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,589
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.