Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shot maybe 20 shots yesterday, swabing between shots with a Windex damp patch and then a dry patch. The day ended when I couildn't get a primer charge to the powder. Had blockage in there some where.

I removed the nipple and it was clear (hole not clogged/blocked". So there was something else. I suppose I must have pushed something (some crud) into the channel. After pulling the ball back at the house, I confirmed it did have a powder charge.

Anybody know of a longer, flexible type pick that would reach from the nipple and through all the way to powder?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep a couple of pipe cleaners in my box for just those occasions.

Next time, pull the nipple and dribble a few grains of powder into the channel, reinsert nipple and fire. That should clear the blockage.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like powder residue is blocking the ignition port. What kind of primer are you using? If it’s a No 11, you could install a musket cap nipple and get better ignition.

You could also fire a cap or two off after 15 shots or so (without powder) to clear out some of the residue.

Last edited by Bill_N; 02/29/20.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Welding tip cleaner. They come in a tool with various diameters. Long enough to go all the way through a breech plug and there are circular grooves in them to enhance cleaning action.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Sounds like powder residue is blocking the ignition port. What kind of primer are you using? If it’s a No 11, you could install a musket cap nipple and get better ignition.

You could also fire a cap or two off after 15 shots or so (without powder) to clear out some of the residue.

Was using a #11.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I keep a couple of pipe cleaners in my box for just those occasions.

Next time, pull the nipple and dribble a few grains of powder into the channel, reinsert nipple and fire. That should clear the blockage.

Not a bad idea.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bill_N

That'd be a good practice.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Prevent the problem. I suspect your Windex patches are too wet. Squeeze them almost dry.

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Semisane
Prevent the problem. I suspect your Windex patches are too wet. Squeeze them almost dry.

Now that certailnly may be. I've never used the Windex for swabbing before and may have gotten the patch way too wet. I'll take your advice.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Originally Posted by bobmn
Welding tip cleaner. They come in a tool with various diameters. Long enough to go all the way through a breech plug and there are circular grooves in them to enhance cleaning action.

Originally Posted by Semisane

I use the welding tip cleaners with sucess, have for over 30 years, but the windex wetted patches? Pick up some 90% alchohol and swab with that in between shots, we use it because alcohol has a better chance of burning than the high percentage of water in windex. The idea of snapping a cap or two won't hurt either, but I usually reserve that for blowing excessive preservative out before the first shot

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use 91% alcohol carried in the little flip spout travel bottles. I got these at Bed Bath & Beyond.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Might be a kick to wait till dark, swab the bore with alcohol, and touch it off with a cap. Would you get a nice flame thrower effect???

I did the Windex patch cause somebody else said it worked well between shots, but I see your point about it being mostly water, which kind of messes with fire and powder.

Welding tip cleaners: My new Hawken barrel does not have a "side entry" clean out. I'd have to go in thru the nipple. Aren't welding tip cleaners too stiff for the 90to turn into the barrel?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Might be a kick to wait till dark, swab the bore with alcohol, and touch it off with a cap. Would you get a nice flame thrower effect???

I did the Windex patch cause somebody else said it worked well between shots, but I see your point about it being mostly water, which kind of messes with fire and powder.

Welding tip cleaners: My new Hawken barrel does not have a "side entry" clean out. I'd have to go in thru the nipple. Aren't welding tip cleaners too stiff for the 90to turn into the barrel?

Can't imagine pipe cleaners wouldn't work well for you. They do for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, all!

I've got litttle bottles for alcohol and some pipe cleaner inbound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep the flash channel and patent breach clean. Pipe cleaners work well, work it in through the nipple threaded hole.

Get a CO2 discharger or remove the nipple and work a little 4f powder into the breach through the nipple hole, it doesn't take much.

Better than anything is to learn to keep it clean and avoid the issue from the get go.

http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/index.php/cleaning-a-muzzle-loader

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C₃H₈O or C₂H₅OH? use the latter and enjoy a nip once you are done swabbing! grin crazy
I always carry a nipple wrench and a priming flask of ffffg for just these situations. fill the flash tunnel with 4f or 3f if you have it. saves the sweaty brow pulling a live charge most times.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/02/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
C₃H₈O or C₂H₅OH? use the latter and enjoy a nip once you are done swabbing! grin crazy
I always carry a nipple wrench and a priming flask of ffffg for just these situations. fill the flash tunnel with 4f or 3f if you have it. saves the sweaty brow pulling a live charge most times.

Now you're gettig all scientific! I'd hate to waste good whiskey on a barrel swabbing but I like that multi-use aspect of it!

I have a couple lbs. of Tripple 7 2F (I know it's fake and all that, but it's what I have). For dribbling into the nipple hole, how about just crunching some 2F into smaller pieces or dust? Or that just asking for more trouble?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 03/03/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Keep the flash channel and patent breach clean. Pipe cleaners work well, work it in through the nipple threaded hole.

Get a CO2 discharger or remove the nipple and work a little 4f powder into the breach through the nipple hole, it doesn't take much.

Better than anything is to learn to keep it clean and avoid the issue from the get go.

http://traditionalmuzzleloader.com/index.php/cleaning-a-muzzle-loader

On the page the link take me to, about 1/2 down by the pipe cleanes is a brush with bronze bristles sticking forward. I've checked TOW, MidwayUSA, Browells, and Amazon.

Where is one of those for sale?

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 03/03/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Forget the Windex. Use 91% rubbing alcohol in a small jar like a baby food jar, packed full of squares of cotton cut from a discarded T shirt or a pair of skivvies that can't be bleached anymore to remove the directional statins- - - - -"Yellow in the front- - - -brown in the back"! That's what we use all the time at the chunk gun shoots. Wet patch- - - -dry patch- - - -pop a cap before loading. If you're shooting a real muzzleloader with a "rock what'll spark" instead of a cap, flash a priming charge after the swab routine.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In my experience, more than 30 years muzzleloading competitions, in which a normal day might see 25 to 50 shots, very few if any of the top shooters wiped between shots. It is a recipe for trouble to introduce any moisture into the very bottom of the breech. The wet or damp patch going down...deposits the crud in the breech/touch hole area when the patch is withdrawn toward the muzzle on the up stroke. If, for some reason, hot dry weather, wrong powder granulation , your barrel begins to be difficult to load...go ahead and finish loading and pour a little patch lube on top of the patched ball and shoot your crusted fouling out at the next shot. What are you using for patch lube?

Last edited by flintlocke; 03/04/20.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.