Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ordering lots of reloading stuff currently, new 6.5 Creed on the way,

I really like the RCBS Competition dies, (grey box) with side loading port,

Found the only one available at Natchez, (grabbed it) but many available with the neck bushing die,

So, who's using neck bushing dies, and why, and how?

Disclaimer, I'm totally ignorant on the neck/bushing topic, If I ask a dumb question, No laughter allowed.....................

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Lee collet dies.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Me too!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Me too!

How and why?

RCBS Competition dies were part of the original question..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am simple, they are simple and I am happy with the results.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lee Collets work so well I can't imagine spending the money on a bushing die.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Lee Collets work so well I can't imagine spending the money on a bushing die.

You guys are assuming I know what a 'collet' die is, I don't.

Headed to YouTube..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
3 shots, LEE collet dies.

338 WM

they work....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by muffin; 03/01/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lee universal decapping die, Redding body die, Lee Neck collet die, done.

Last edited by NVhntr; 03/01/20.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use full length bushing dies.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Full length bushing dies also but I do use a separate decapping die.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bushing dies squeeze the case neck to a uniform outside diameter. The thickness of the brass determines the inside diameter. Since brass thickness varies among different manufacturers any particular diameter bushing can produce different inside diameters. The bushing die manufacturers recommend getting a specific diameter bushing to match your brass.

The Lee collet dies squeeze the neck around a mandrel or spindle to a uniform inside diameter, regardless of outside neck diameter. The mandrel Lee supplies usually gives a light bullet pull but you can spin it in a drill with some sandpaper to reduce the diameter for a stronger pull, or just buy undersize mandrels from Lee which are pretty cheap.

If you use a bushing die to reduce neck diameter too much, IME "too much" starts around .003-.004", it can produce crooked necks.

The Lee collet die produces a straight neck every time. I sort my brass by neck concentricity, such that the good brass doesn't vary in thickness by more than .001" or maybe .0015". Those cases after sizing in a collet die will show total runout of .001 to .0015", i.e. the only thing being measured is the neck thickness variation. The collet die produced .000" of additional runout.

Bushig dies are expensive, collet dies are cheap.

They are a win, win, win situation.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ken,

Bushing dies are most commonly used when loading for custom rifles with tight necks.
Necks are turned and the bushing helps regulate neck tension in the custom chamber neck.

So unless you plan to take it to this degree, typically there's not material gain over a simpler solution such as a Forster neck die, or as previously mentioned the Lee Collet die.

Here's a 10 minute primer for you on the Lee Collet die.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Bushing dies squeeze the case neck to a uniform outside diameter. The thickness of the brass determines the inside diameter. Since brass thickness varies among different manufacturers any particular diameter bushing can produce different inside diameters. The bushing die manufacturers recommend getting a specific diameter bushing to match your brass.

The Lee collet dies squeeze the neck around a mandrel or spindle to a uniform inside diameter, regardless of outside neck diameter. The mandrel Lee supplies usually gives a light bullet pull but you can spin it in a drill with some sandpaper to reduce the diameter for a stronger pull, or just buy undersize mandrels from Lee which are pretty cheap.

If you use a bushing die to reduce neck diameter too much, IME "too much" starts around .003-.004", it can produce crooked necks.

The Lee collet die produces a straight neck every time. I sort my brass by neck concentricity, such that the good brass doesn't vary in thickness by more than .001" or maybe .0015". Those cases after sizing in a collet die will show total runout of .001 to .0015", i.e. the only thing being measured is the neck thickness variation. The collet die produced .000" of additional runout.

Bushig dies are expensive, collet dies are cheap.

They are a win, win, win situation.

Now this, is an answer to a question.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Ken,

Bushing dies are most commonly used when loading for custom rifles with tight necks.
Necks are turned and the bushing helps regulate neck tension in the custom chamber neck.

So unless you plan to take it to this degree, typically there's not material gain over a simpler solution such as a Forster neck die, or as previously mentioned the Lee Collet die.

Here's a 10 minute primer for you on the Lee Collet die.

Again, thanks.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have my attention,

This collet die is the sizing die, sizes necks only?

And also deprimes?

I see, "No lube required", None at all, not even inside the necks?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It is still good to lube the die and the necks at least for the first run. You can't go wrong with the collet die. The bushing die may require neck turning to reap the full benefits, this is seldom worthwhile except on custom varmint and target rifles.

In addition to the collet die you may want a body/shoulder bump die to keep the cases from expanding or sizing back when they do. These just bump the shoulder back .001-3" depending how you set them up. They hold the case so it is aligned and doesn't expand with the setback. You can do this with a FL sizing die it just works the brass a little more.

Look up the tutorials on polishing the collet die it makes them operate much better with less or no marks on the case.

Yes the collet die is a type of neck sizing die. De-primes too. See above, clean and lube the first time you use it then it only occasionally needs it only if it gets dirty.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can use it to deprime if you are only neck sizing brass for a bolt action. No need to lube brass as there is no press fit involved, the collet doesn't contact the brass until you depress the press handle, and then only squeezes the neck.
I deprime before cleaning my brass, then body size only (no neck sizing) with a Redding body die, then I neck size with the Lee collet die. No expander ball involved to throw the neck concentricity out.
Watch the video, all you need to lube on the collet die is the compression cone.

Mathman had a post laying out the proper way to set up the Lee Collet die, maybe someone can find it and post for you.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remington280
Full length bushing dies also but I do use a separate decapping die.

So do I. I also anneal.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don’t know if it matters/helps, but I brush the inside of the necks before resizing the necks and depriming on the Lee.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 59 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.