Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Would any one like to share their experience with the Remington 700 LVSF? I just purchased one in 221 fireball and happen to be a little concerned over the stability of the stock. Although at a little over $500 NIB, I could not let her pass.

I have been wanting a little stainless rifle for coyote calling and know how well the little fireball can be. So even if I end up re-stocking this rifle I think Ill be happy with her.

Please share any experience good and bad with this stock package.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a LVSF Fireball and rechambered it to .223 AI to shoot the thousand or so 50 gr Blitzkings and VMAX's I already had.
I first restocked it with a Ti take off and later cut the the Ti off to a 12" LOP for my 8 year old daughter. I now have it in a McMillan Classic in Campfire Camo for my use and just drop it in the Ti when she wants to shoot it.
Before the McMillan and Cerakote...
[Linked Image]
After...(Its the green one...)
[Linked Image]
Here it is before the Cerakote with its 7-08 sister...
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The lvsf's are great guns. Personally, I don't care for the shape of the stock. They are, however, much better quality than the average factory plastic stock. If you can handle the shape of the stock, go for it. Otherwise, restock it and go for it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dude, nice lawn!

The rifles ain't bad, either smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Jamison, I am of the opinion you have an eye for quality. Defiantly some good-looking rifles you have there.
Did the McMillan stock require a different trigger guard? Looks like you chose to set aside both the original stock along with the original trigger guard.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one in 22-250 that was a shooter. I really didn't care for the stock either, but after floating the barrel, it would shoot very repeatable small groups.
I traded it to my dad, and miss it so.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had my son get one a few years back. They seem to have a hard time moving the 221's and often you can pick them up at a good price compared to other LV SF's. He payed $550-.
It likes Nosler 40 gr. BT's pushed by 15.5 gr. Lil Gun. Here's pic of a group he shot off the hood of my truck at a 100 yards. gun is stock other than a Shilen trigger.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Guys I don't expect to receive this rifle for a week or so. Yet the research I have done has me thinking that the Bell & Carlson composite stock may work out just fine, on this light varmint rifle. Guess Ill have to give her a try and see what I think. Some nice looking guns pictured here.

Ill have right at $550 into this one once shipping and Transfer fees are covered.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I've only handled one in the store but I liked the stock and balance of the rifle a lot. If I do pick one up someday that would be the reason I'd do it.

Joe

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those stocks are just fine, you'll like it I'm sure. Great deal you got on it too.

Jason

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I must be totally weird. I absolutely love the LVSF stock.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't love them, but don't hate them like some around here do. For a carry rifle I would restock to a TI, but for a 221 that's for PD's off a bench or bipod I think they are a great value.

J

[Linked Image]
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're right, you're weird! smile smile

The construction of the stock is definitely not bad for a factory stock, and Remington stainless barrels are typically excellent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad read my earlier post regarding our swap and my missing my LVSF...we traded back a day or so ago. I'm back in the 22-250 varmint business.

"Doing right isn't always easy but it is always right."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

On my LVSF, 204 Ruger, I steel bedded the recoil lug area and floated the barrel. It maintains an aggregate group size of .60MOA @ 200yds. The stock works well for me and the overall weight makes it fine walking varminter.

1,992 coyotes since 1964
1,000,000 rounds downrange
1,250,000 motorcycle miles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Did the McMillan stock require a different trigger guard? Looks like you chose to set aside both the original stock along with the original trigger guard.

I kept one of the Ti stocks in the photo to cut down for my 8 year old daughter.
The two McMillans are inletted for Williams bottom metal which use the ADL mag box, so they are a quick switch from one stock to the other.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Picked up the rifle tonight and she looks fine and balances well. I am initially impressed with the stock look and feel although I wonder about a pressure point in the forearm. This pressure point seems to be there by design, as all else seems to be free floated.
What concerns me more is the poor feed both while loading the magazine and advancing a round into the chamber. Now I also have a model 700 LS which I am completely happy with in every respect. so I know the 221 fireball can cycle just fine in the 700 LS. This LVSF seriously concerns me with the poor feed I have initially seen when cycling a few rounds for reliability testing.
Would anyone be able and willing to offer any ideas as to what one could or should look at to insure proper feeding from this 700 LVSF 221 fireball?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunterapp,
Some of the fireballs in the 700's are feeding kinda quirky. You might ask this question in the gunsmithing forum, there are several good smiths over there that might offer good remedies.
I've got a LV SF in 204. I ditched the speed bump, floated the barrel and Marine-Tex bedded the entire action. My rifle had the wart, I replaced the striker/shroud assembly with the Piercecision unit from Sinclair's. The trigger was also tuned to 18oz. It will now shoot .5's and under with loads it likes............ there are lots of loads that it dosen't like, though.
1D

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by jasonkjasonk
Those stocks are just fine, you'll like it I'm sure. Great deal you got on it too.

Right you are Jason! I like the stock quite well. The blind magazine box and the trigger will need a little tweaking though.

Thanks for the input all! Hunterapp

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We bought two LVSFs. One in 221 and the other in 204. Removed the contact point in both. The 204 shot well from day one, and was later put into an HS stock and converted to a BDL magazine. The 221 was rather more finicky. It shot acceptable, but not wonderfully. Feed was terribly unreliable. I eventually gave up on it, and sent if off to a gunsmith, and had it rechambered to 222 Rem Mag. We found the bolt lugs weren't contacting evenly, nor was the original chamber cut 'on axis'. Got rid of the horrid blind magazine too. Now it shoots really well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (219DW, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,462
Posts18,508,236
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.