Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Is anyone experiencing any reactions between the aluminum/SS posts/pillars and the rifles action/

I have wondered about this junction of dissimilar metals.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a 16mm film on the galvanic series in 8th grade shop in 1964.

I bid some military contracts in the 1980s that had MIL-STD-889 dissimilar metals requirements.

In 1984 I build the world's fasted filling big bathtub. I had galvanized and brass adaptors in series to get 1/2" and 3/4" copper pipe connected to ball valves that looked like 1/2" or 3/4" holes. But every time I turned on the water the first gallon of water was all rusty. I had to take it apart and make it without the steel parts.

So I had no excuse when I put some brass pillars in rifles in 2002. Later I realized my barrelled action was a sacrificial anode.

I am now not afraid to put Aluminum pillars in rifles, and let the pillars be sacrificial while protecting my barrelled action.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My pillar bedding has a fine layer of bedding on it. The receiver does not come in contact with the pillars.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Galvanic corrosion is not possible without an electrolyte like salty water being present. Mere contact between the action and pillar is insufficient.

RAN

Last edited by RAN; 03/02/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAN
Galvanic corrosion is not possible without an electrolyte like salty water being present. Mere contact between the action and pillar is insufficient.

RAN

In many A-Borts made back about the mid-'90s and for quite a few years the long wire trigger links would rust and sieze almost overnight in Kodiak weather... a little salt spray is all it takes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's been a while since general chemistry. What makes one metal sacrificial in what circumstance?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The term used is nobility. The circumstance doesn’t change, just where in the hierarchy the materials exist.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by knivesforme
The term used is nobility. The circumstance doesn’t change, just where in the hierarchy the materials exist.

Actually circumstances can change such as the different places held by some metals depending on the availability of oxygen.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ok

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you can't lose them with logic then baffle them with bullchit.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Are you suggesting you do not know why there are a number of different alloys holding more than one place on the nobility chart? Or worse you have no clue such a thing exists, yet want to snipe?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Are you suggesting you do not know why there are a number of different alloys holding more than one place on the nobility chart? Or worse you have no clue such a thing exists, yet want to snipe?

So, does this mean Prince Harry is more or less likely to rust now since he left the Royals Club?

Sorry, this stuff just pops up in me. Actually an interesting subject.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

So, does this mean Prince Harry is more or less likely to rust now since he left the Royals Club?

Sorry, this stuff just pops up in me. Actually an interesting subject.

He is already rusty, check his hair, duh!
wink

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
off topic but interesting-- the process of bringing life back to the dead using electrical current is also called galvanizing and was the theme of the Frankenstein novel. Maybe thats what happened to Prince Harry.

Chemistry part, its the electromotive potential between elements that cause electron migration and "coating". How much depends on the formula of the steel, Fe/Cr/. On the periodic chart anything to the right of an element can give up electrons to any element to the left. If a strong oxidizing or reducing agent is also present the "flow" of electrons can be increased or decreased , O2, sulfuric acid etc.

Cadmium cadmium can also be used in place of Zn, but is special purpose. "Nickel" plated cartridge cases were really cadmium plated, until it was found out that the toxic effects were cumulative similar to mercury, lead.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anybody who has owned aluminum bodied cars with steel frames can relate to this. I could tell you horror stories about a certain '66 Land Rover whose aluminum body rotted from the bottom up, even with a thin buffer of felt between body and frame. Then there was my BIL who shimmed a scope base with a piece of soda can- the giveaway was the rust we saw creeping out from under the base.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had severe cancer on my 1959 Austin Healey 100-6 where the felt had worn through.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thread that explains a lot. More than once I've been out hunting and had a rifle or shotgun fall into pieces, showing corrosion at the edges. Probably partly due to my compulsive cleaning at dissimilar metal contact points which kept the ccontact points chemically clean. wink

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
some type of ionic solution must be present, salt is a good example, but anything that has dipoles as opposed to non-polar solvents (oils example), can cause "migration" and coating.

a "dirty" gun would have some oils left in the grime, and as long as it broke up the polar solvent, the "battery" effect would be stopped.

the metals "coating" the Fe and preventing iron rust are really the oxides of that metal, ZnO, zinc oxide, aluminum oxide etc. and are only on the surface of that metal, are very hard, and prevent the oxidation of the Fe

The polar salts do not have to be NaCl but can come from primer mixtures. Lead styphanate, sodium nitrate others, military surplus contained large amounts in the primers, and that is why military barrels had a reputation for corrosion and the subsequent "need" to have them chrome lined. Because the residue was so "polar" ordinary solvents wouldn't work thus the need for a hot water flush.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,913
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.