Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
AMB Offline
A
Just getting in to traditional archery, and went with 2 new Bear's.
45# Super Grizzly and a 50# Montana.
Planning on working slowly into it and deciding what my preference is between long and recurve.
I sometimes wonder if I should have bought older ones. Or are the new production bows pretty comparable?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seems you went about it a little backwards. Should have asked questions first.

I would say you bought two bows that are too much weight of draw to be starting out with.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
AMB Offline
A
Well have been getting help from a couple friends and have shot a couple of their lighter bows a bit.
Been shooting each bow alternating every other day and no more than 2 dozen shots.
Not having any issues with injury from over poundage, and probably pulling approximately 27".
Guess I shouldn't have posted, but thanks for input, I understand and respect your thoughts.
So far I like both bows, and will keep them. I have wanted something like them for a while and glad I bought them.

Last edited by AMB; 04/09/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If somebody is gonna start out, and hunt with their starter bow, I'd say 45# at their draw length.
Assuming a 20-40 yr old guy of avg size/build.

My Ben Pearson Hunter 2 was 45# (first recurve).
My Damon Howatt Superdiablo was 46#
and my first Bear Grizzly was 45#.

I shot 55-65# compounds fingers, so a 45# recurve was no big deal, and actually felt kinda wimpy.
Of course that was dang near 35 yrs ago.

Nowadays, 55# takes some dedication. 45# feels wussy......but 50# seems decent LOL
Buddy has a new Blackwidow, 42# and I can draw and hold that thing forever.
And I'm pretty beat up.

Proly do a test drive and see how a 56" PCH at 47# shoots.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Am content to call my 54# widow my "heavy bow" smile
Tried to buy my old 62# off the guy I sold it to.
Just to have it back, was my first new Blackwidow. 1987

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AMB
Well have been getting help from a couple friends and have shot a couple of their lighter bows a bit.
Been shooting each bow alternating every other day and no more than 2 dozen shots.
Not having any issues with injury from over poundage, and probably pulling approximately 27".
Guess I shouldn't have posted, but thanks for input, I understand and respect your thoughts.
So far I like both bows, and will keep them. I have wanted something like them for a while and glad I bought them.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You asked a question and I gave it an honest answer. Sorry it wasn't what you were searching for. Truth is 2 dozen shots is nothing. The trad game doesn't just come to you. You need to shoot a lot and often. Guys ego's always get in the way of them becoming good shooters fast. One reason why kids do so well at a young age in archery. They aren't worried about draw weight and they just want to shoot a lot. Add good coaching and that is a solid receipe for success. Good luck and have fun.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Bear Outbreak, Firenock ceramic ball bearing arrow rest, aftermarket stabilizers, roller string tensioner, etc. A nice little compact bow. I'm happy with it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Another reason some folks have to shoot a ton of arrows, they use an unconscious gap in aiming (many call it instinctive).

A higher anchor point, with a three under tab, and a heavy arrow, may allow you to use the arrow tip as a sight.
And that may be learned rather quickly.

Of course this assumes your anchor/form/release are repeatable.

I don't like my drawing arm up that high at anchor, shot a little lower anchor for years and it just feels awkward.
But I messed up a couple fingers (one on each hand) and couldn't shoot much (pain).
So I tried the aiming method and for that arrow/ bow setup, it worked.

Much prefer split, middle finger corner of mouth, and unconscious gap shooting.
Its fluid and more fun for me. But it requires a lot of practice.
Hopefully other injuries and aging won't keep me from going back to my old method.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/09/20.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Start out concentrating on form and aim. Keep record of the number of arrows shot and develop a plan to increase that over time. Quit for the day as soon as you start making bad shots.

A
AMB Offline
A
Thanks for all of the tips and advice.
I'm not offended, and do appreciate and respect it all.
I am liking the long bow better so far. It is very quiet and a smoother draw.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There is a lot of BS on some supposed trad forums.
On either side of the spectrum.

Here is an excellent video, and it's pleasant to watch.

Its long but well worth the time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.