Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree with Rost; rather have a bunch of does.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by supercrewd
This one has height and more mass but not great width,
[Linked Image]

This one you shoud shoot in proper season (unfortunately he lives in town)
[Linked Image]

Not much thinking involved for these guys. The top one may not be that wide, 20 inches inside? He will score well thou nice deep forks, mass and long G2s. Thats a nice buck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Both nice bucks!

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
In Colorado you get either one doe tag or one buck tag. So shooting a doe instead is not an option nor is shooting a bunch of does. If you have a buck tag then either you shoot a buck or have tag soup for the winter.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by supercrewd
This one has height and more mass but not great width,
[Linked Image]

This one you shoud shoot in proper season (unfortunately he lives in town)
[Linked Image]

That is the "reddest" mulie I've ever seen.

To the original question, the buck's a dink.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There are other reasons to shoot. Some of us like heads on the wall, tanned hides, hatracks and so on... its not just about the food for some. But for some it is.

As to only a buck or doe tag- that can make some difference.

I"m limited in CO much the same way for elk. I could draw more but can afford only one trip, and generally I apply for a cow elk tag. All the while acruing points for a better bull tag. Same with mule deer, acruing points. So if I was after meat, I'd be getting antlerless tags for sure. Odds are much higher plus you can't eat the antlers so what are you doing with a buck tag to start with. You have no business shooting bucks, IMHO, if you are a meat hunter.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just me but I don't consider horn hunting or any other trophy hunting valid reasons to kill an animal. So for my purposes I'll just kill whats legal and make sure it gets used. If it happens to have nice horns I'll mount em, otherwise I collect them, date them and visit them occasionally to remember the hunt. They all are special. To me.

I didn't understand a word you said, but whatever it was I'm right there with you.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's a shooter. BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
super: great pic of the high-racked buck @ sunrise!

+1

BMR

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He will make a nice mount

Scott

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wildlife
Don't take this wrong, we are on the same page, my point is why shoot antlers if you are not going to use them? Make something of them etc..... Leave them for the next guy that might actually mount him/her etc....

I say this - I have a doe mounted shot with a bow that means more to me than my largest buck. It was with memories. This way I get to relive that every time I walk through the den. Same with a caribou, far from the best I saw, but he is on the wall and was special for the circumstances.

So I don't feel that "trophy" hunting is as bad as folks seem to make it. I utilize every bit of meat regardless doe or wall hanger. I look for a big one, but am happy to shoot does all year, and let the little bucks grow.

Room for all of us I suspect. Even the folks on a lease that shot the first 4 deer they saw that were legal. Fawns, nubbin bucks and all. It aggravated me to no end but what could I do. I thought hunting deemed more respect than just a meat slaughter...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's a deer and they keep making more of them. I would put the first one on the wall and in the freezer.

I can't/won't mount every deer I shoot. Killed 4 Sitka's last year, 2 or which I would think 99% of folks that would come to AK to hunt them would mount, I ain't.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm even considering shooting him, shooting a doe instead wouldn't work - the license in my pocket would be wrong.

There have been many years I'd have been quite happy to shoot him and would have - and I'm sure there will be more. I don't spend much time deer hunting - for the most part they are simply an opportunity taken while elk hunting.

Ka-boom! (Now let's get him to the processor and focus on elk!)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't pause or question about dropping the first one.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Coyote: I know, I know! I been with you Colorado guys before. Don't give a crap about mule deer....wanna go get those ELK..... laugh and the sooner the better. get those mulies outa the way! Crack me up!!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff: Good post, and it really is different things to different people. Ilove to trophy hunt but I LOVE venison, so I'm pretty happy either looking at the wall, or sitting at the table. And the more work you went through to get them, either meat or horns, the more you appreciate them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Steelhead- its all different to different folks. In your shoes I'd probably be about the same. My thing is if I shoot a buck, its going on the wall or its a cull that needs shooting. If not(and I have the available tags etc.... that many do not) I won't even think about a buck, the meat will all be does.
I relate it to our cattle somewhat, I don't shoot all the young bulls if I want them to be breeders.....in the meantime I can take a cow or heifer to butcher if I need to. And I won't let a runt or inferior bull or cow screw up the herd.
In the meantime I love taking photos of the younger bucks or video taping them. Floats my boat, may sink others...

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd have to shoot him. No mulies in these parts so that looks plenty big to me.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would have to agree with the others that it�s all a matter of perspective. Since all I�ve hunted is mulies with the exception of a few blacktails and a few island deer I would have to pass him up. On the other hand since my wife has never shot a mule deer I could guarantee you she wouldn�t hesitate and it would end up on the wall.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
See,in Alabama we can shoot both a buck and doe per day,soooo i'd have a big skinning job.yeah i'd pop him and her.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 14,315 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,296
Posts18,545,319
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.