Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, thanks Hank

I see a lot of boats that are 16 1/2 to 17 1/2 or so long with bigger motors. But they are mostly a bit wider too. Just looked and this one is 79 wide with a motor max of 75hp.

I talked to the owner on the phone. He says he's a big guy too, and the boat will hit 29 mph on plane. Probably all I'll ever need.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
I have a line on a Crestliner 18 Canadian. Looks immaculate in pics, but is in storage for another week and can't be easily seen.

Has a 50hp 2 stroke injected Johnson, and an 8hp tohatsu. Quite well set up with accessories.

Informed opinion and thoughts?

Edited for engine HP correction. Looking at a lot of boats and it gets confusing

I can get a look at this boat this weekend. Is it seriously under powered with a 50 hp motor?

I don't know how the Candian's transom is built, but try to take a look at it. The Fish Hawk I was seriously considering had foam that kept water against the wood transom. I consider it to be a design flaw. This was a 2011 boat with 27 hours, supposedly always covered. I passed.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I have a line on a Crestliner 18 Canadian. Looks immaculate in pics, but is in storage for another week and can't be easily seen.

Has a 50hp 2 stroke injected Johnson, and an 8hp tohatsu. Quite well set up with accessories.

Edited for engine HP correction. Looking at a lot of boats and it gets confusing

I can get a look at this boat this weekend. Is it seriously under powered with a 50 hp motor?

I don't know how the Candian's transom is built, but try to take a look at it. The Fish Hawk I was seriously considering had foam that kept water against the wood transom. I consider it to be a design flaw. This was a 2011 boat with 27 hours, supposedly always covered. I passed.

Not positive how the canadian hulls are built but when I had my kodiak built I got the environmental protection package which included a wood free transom. Hopefully that was an option on the canadians also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, thanks Hank

I see a lot of boats that are 16 1/2 to 17 1/2 or so long with bigger motors. But they are mostly a bit wider too. Just looked and this one is 79 wide with a motor max of 75hp.

I talked to the owner on the phone. He says he's a big guy too, and the boat will hit 29 mph on plane. Probably all I'll ever need.

The Kodiak is listed at 78" wide, must be the successor to the Canadian hulls. The weights are almost identical.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have a 99' Alumacraft Trophy 189 full wind shield with a Merc 50 2 stroke and a Honda 10 hp kicker. I don't know the exact specs but my boat is pretty wide and deep and I know it will take a much larger motor. I'm not a real big guy and I can run probably 26 to 28 on flat water when I'm the only one in the boat. With another one or two people I can probably do 24. When I'm on Erie though and there are two to three foot waves that speed goes way down....I've thought about putting a bigger motor on it but then I think when I'm hitting bigger waves I don't want to be going much if any faster anyway.

If you're not looking to fly on the water I think the 50 will be plenty for you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If I get to look at it I'll check the transom.

Sockpuppet,

Is the yellow foam just applied in those corners, or is it applied behind something else and expanded out into the corners?

Hank,

What is your transom reinforced with? Hard to imagine beating the strength/weight ratio of wood.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, I can't answer your question about the foam. On that particular 2011 Fish Hawk 1600, there was only one small round access port where you could look at the center of the transom. The outsides were not accessible unless you started pulling things apart. As best I could tell, water got into the two small storage compartments in the rear of the boat and slowly migrated to the transom where the foam trapped it against the wood. It was a shame because that boat was really laid out well. I actually sent those pictures to Crestliner to ask their opinion and they said it wasn't an issue. Maybe/Maybe not, but it was enough for me to move along.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 03/10/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You folks make me look like a piker. We have five boats, four that float. The biggest is a 14' Crestliner made by Lowe, 20 horse Merc. Son Jake has a Lund 15 Pike, 40 Honda.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John, the first thing to concede is that you don't "need" a boat. If you did, the type of boat would be obvious. You "want" a boat. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've been wanting and intending to buy another boat for some years now. Work, and life in general have intervened but work is almost a thing of the past for me.

What kind of boat do I need? I'll fish mostly on the Mississippi, the Rock, and Wisconsin rivers... All of my buddies (crestliner 1750 fish hawk, G3 18 something, and lund 19 something pro V) who are serious sportsmen demand a tiller steered boat. I have shoulder issues and wonder if I'd be happy with that for a long day on the water.
And I weigh 375 pounds dressed to fish. would a boat like that trim out for me without added weight in front? My weight along with a 3-400 lb motor is a lot on the back end of a boat...

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

Seems like most boat threads here grow some legs and get a lot of participation. Any excitement for asking Rick for a Boat forum?

You need two boats. lol

If you get a newer tiller boat, they have power steering and/or digital steering and your shoulder would be a non issue. That said, I'll take a wheel 100 times out of 100 for fishing the areas you've listed. I wouldn't use a tin boat in the gulf.

I also wouldn't get a crestliner. They're not much step above a tracker. G3 would be OK. A used Lund or Alumacraft would be a good place to start. Look for transome cracks on both models.

I've had about everything from 16' tiller up to 20' Ranger multi-species boats for tournament fishing. My current boat is a 18' Skeeter glass boat.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a boat with a wood filled transom that got soft on me. Took it to a local dealer for repair. The wood was the core between 2 sheets of aluminum. I feared it would be expensive. They cut it open removed the wood filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it all back. Only charged me 175 dollars. I realize labor is cheap here because I live in a poor area of the country. But boats with flaws can be repaired for much less than buying new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had a boat with a wood filled transom that got soft on me. Took it to a local dealer for repair. The wood was the core between 2 sheets of aluminum. I feared it would be expensive. They cut it open removed the wood filled the transom with square aluminum tube and welded it all back. Only charged me 175 dollars. I realize labor is cheap here because I live in a poor area of the country. But boats with flaws can be repaired for much less than buying new.

Crazy, during my research on transoms when I was looking at that Crestliner I saw replacement quotes in the ~$4K range.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Originally Posted by CEoW717
You don’t need a boat. You need a friend with a boat. You’ll be much further ahead just buying beer and gas 😂

That ain't no bullschit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That I can recall, I have never seen a Lund or similar hull in South Louisiana. I my part of the world there is Hanko, Gravois, and Scully. These are semi-custom boats with 3/16 or 1/4" aluminum bottoms and 3/16" sides. Also, there are dozens of one or two man operation boat builders in the area.

From the original post:

As mentioned in the salt water fishing thread, I'd like to fish inshore along the alabama/mississippi gulf, too. I'd love to have a 19 or 20 ft glass center console for that purpose but it's not likely to happen. Others have mentioned that it's not a big deal to run an aluminum boat in salt. ???

If I were fishing inshore coastal Louisiana I would probably have a local custom built 22' by 8' aluminum hull with at least a 250 hp four stroke and a center console. Basically this hull with a center console. It does not draw too much water and if you end up in some open rough water it can handle that also.

Hanko boats

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
All of the brands mentioned make good boats. On the tiller thing...I'd just get a console with a steering wheel. The only reason I can see for tiller steering is cost cutting. I like a full windshield...wrap-around. As far north as you are, you'll appreciate that. In the summer, your eyes will thank you.

https://www.polarkraft.com/Polar-Kr...mp;action=view_product_line&country=

The guys who own the boats I mentioned really aren't the cost cutting type. Guessing that the Lund mentioned, even in tiller guise, probably cost ^of $50K, although I never asked. I priced a boat Identical to the crestliner mentioned, but with fewer electronics, and it was just under $40k.

Serious fishing boats are not a cheap venture, by most reckoning...

Don't let them talk you into the 12" and 14" graphs. Yep, they're awesome. Nope, you sure don't need them. lol. They'll add $4-7K to the cost of your boat in a hurry. It sounds like you're looking for comfort with fishability. A side console sounds like your type of boat. Walleyes sound like your game since you're in WI and going to fish the river. A Lund Impact, used pro-v, and Alumacraft Competitor is a great boat. The G3 Angler series are well built too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Thanks to jgray and mike 70560 but this thread needs more pics...

OK.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Now that's a F'n boat!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm partial to side console - not full across, aluminum boats. Alumnacraft has done us well in WI/MI fishing bass on Sturgeon Bay, muskies, walleye etc all over the place.

Where I live now - all salmon guys so bigger, converted cruisers - probably not what you're looking for.

Only thing I ever really wish we had on the boats - Talon or Pole type anchor.

Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

Crazy, during my research on transoms when I was looking at that Crestliner I saw replacement quotes in the ~$4K range.

I bought this 22' Tournament Edition Grady White with the trailer for $1500. It is in very good shape except the transom is rotten. IIRC the previous owner said it would cost around $7000 to repair it. I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost. It is common to see rotten transoms in older boats. In general newer boats use a composite material instead of wood.

I already have a 225hp OptiMax, I need to put about $1000 in the trailer, $3000 upgrading the boat, and about $2500 in electronic I will be under $10,000 for a very nice Grady White. I just need to finish changing a cylinder on my airboat engine, move my houseboat from the hunting lease to my summertime location, re-prop my bateaux for a little better performance, rebuild the outdrive on the super go devil, find the key my 3 year grandson took out of my bass boat ignition.... too many damn boats.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Mike70560; 03/10/20.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

On an 18'? Yes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

I also wouldn't get a crestliner. They're not much step above a tracker. G3 would be OK. A used Lund or Alumacraft would be a good place to start. Look for transome cracks on both models.

I looked at Lunds but a riveted hull is a no go for me. Plenty of people in AK have Lunds and almost every single one of them leak through the rivets. If you are somewhere that doesn't get much weather they might be ok, for a while.

I've had mine completely airborne and none of the welds popped. If money was no issue I would have gotten a Pacific Skiff, built like tanks but heavy. If I get beached on a tide I can still manage to get it back to the water by myself.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,743 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,127
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.